• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lost trades

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
We had Cooks & Chefs.

And not forgetting the Trade Assistant Generals (SWOs Marines).

Admin Orderlies (seriously thick) became TAGs in 1963. Most non-Regiment DIs in the 60s were TAGs with substantive rank (typically LAC) much lower than their acting (usually paid) rank. There was a career structure of sorts up to SWO, very much the hard way. If a DI got booted (as occasionally happened) he lost all his acting rank and was posted to the SWO's pig farm somewhere (yes, they did exist).The thing was, if somebody failed their trade training they weren't discharged but made TAGs. There used to be regular SRO invitations for airmen and JNCOs to volunteer to become DIs but for some reason there weren't many takers.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Radio operator voice. Did their training at north luffenham. All spoke Russian passed out as j/ts spent time between Cyprus wyton and Berlin. Now I wonder what they did

This was once Top Secret but is now Unclassified. They sat with a pad and pencil writing down air-ground comms of Warsaw Pact aircraft. If they noticed a change in format, e.g. a change in word order, they circled the passage and put one of their hands up. A corporal would take the page and give it to an officer. Many were national servicemen with no previous knowledge of Russian but went on to read Russian at university. Some became Professors of Russian, an opportunity which they owed to the Service picking them out as likely lads.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Off topic, but anybody remember locally promoted wrafs. I don't think it was do with their trade knowledge but more do with he number of wrafs on he camp. They lost the promotion on posting.

There were local service WRAFs at Prestwick, paid a pittance and living at home with Mummy and Daddy. Their RTS lasted just three weeks. That particular group had served before, were abolished so to speak and then returned. In the meantime, they worked at Woolworths with their corporal as supervisor. I believe there were local service airmen at Singapore and possibly Malta.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
... snip ...
I believe there were local service airmen at Singapore and possibly Malta.

A mate of mine was an LSA in Singapore in his youth. He retired just a few years ago as the RSAF Sergeant Major. (Senior Warrant Officer).

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
A mate of mine was an LSA in Singapore in his youth. He retired just a few years ago as the RSAF Sergeant Major. (Senior Warrant Officer).

I'm a scaley brat and was in Singapore from 63 to 66 and can remember Sikh raf coppers at changi I assume they were locally employed rozzers.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I'm a scaley brat and was in Singapore from 63 to 66 and can remember Sikh raf coppers at changi I assume they were locally employed rozzers.

I would imagine so, they probably also moonlighted as doormen down at Raffles while off duty.

briggfairy

Sergeant
how about the puppy pumping leckies, i was one of the last of the leckies to join up and even as we were going through cosford the multi-skilling courses were already going through

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

There were certainly Local Service Airmen in Malta - I know someone who started out as just that... when Dom Mintoff kicked us out the local service guys were offered the choice of discharge or transfer to full service. He opted to transfer and ended up a WO after a full & varied career.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
There were certainly Local Service Airmen in Malta - I know someone who started out as just that... when Dom Mintoff kicked us out the local service guys were offered the choice of discharge or transfer to full service. He opted to transfer and ended up a WO after a full & varied career.

I remember quite a few Maltese Painters & Dopers during my travels.

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Admin Orderlies (seriously thick) became TAGs in 1963. Most non-Regiment DIs in the 60s were TAGs with substantive rank (typically LAC) much lower than their acting (usually paid) rank. There was a career structure of sorts up to SWO, very much the hard way. If a DI got booted (as occasionally happened) he lost all his acting rank and was posted to the SWO's pig farm somewhere (yes, they did exist).The thing was, if somebody failed their trade training they weren't discharged but made TAGs. There used to be regular SRO invitations for airmen and JNCOs to volunteer to become DIs but for some reason there weren't many takers.

As I remember everyone who joined up in "71" was a TAG until successful completion of their trade training, what happened after that?.......................No idea

G

Gord

Gord, CSMW was a trade in its own right, part of the SWS crew.

Enlighten me mate, perhaps I'm a bit thick this morning but what is a CSMW when it's home and a SWS for that matter. I assume the SMW part might refer to Sheet Metal Worker but did the C stand for Composite. As for the SWS I'm in the dark.

In Canada, at least in the airline business, the Structures guys such as myself did the sheet metal and composite work along with of course any repairs to frames and stringers and anything the aircraft mechanics fecked up or couldn't take care of themselves without breaking a nail but the other parts of what used to be my trade as an airframe fitter such as hydraulics, pneumatics, wheels/tyres and brakes were done by the so called Aircraft Mechanics many of whom who were basically parts changers. Anything more complicated than that usually ended up with one of them coming into our shop and saying "Hey lads, can you give me a hand with this, I'm stuck." Also if they needed new lines made up or parts that were difficult to remove removed, that part of the job was once again done by my mates and me in the sheet metal shop.

6A1

SAC
Inst Fitt Gen - pitot static and general instrument plus Oxygen. Oxy was hived off to the riggers !!! Clean environment !!! Incorporated into the lecky trade. 103rd Halton was the last gen course - (63-65).

dkh51250

Sergeant
Gord, you must be having a really bad day mate, from my original post, "Nearly forgot, CSMW, Coppersmith and sheet metal worker". Composites were yet to become a wonder to behold. The SWS crew were the Station Workshops guys, craftsmen one and all. A couple of packets of biccies would get you anything, from a gold plated scale model of the Taj Mahal, to any bit of a Vulcan you care to mention. Ok, maybe three packets for the model.

G

Gord

Gord, you must be having a really bad day mate, from my original post, "Nearly forgot, CSMW, Coppersmith and sheet metal worker". Composites were yet to become a wonder to behold. The SWS crew were the Station Workshops guys, craftsmen one and all. A couple of packets of biccies would get you anything, from a gold plated scale model of the Taj Mahal, to any bit of a Vulcan you care to mention. Ok, maybe three packets for the model.
:biggrin::biggrin:Ok, ya got me. I remember during my apprenticeship having to take training in coppersmithing, welding and blacksmithing but I think the end result of that training only resulted in me being able to solder a leakproof joint in copper tubing, somthing that's come in handy a few times when the pipes have burst due to a Canadian winter and breakdown in the heating system, a bit of welding, both oxyacetylene and electric arc, mostly on old cars I've been working on and the fabrication of a GS screwdriver in our blacksmithing course that all us Airframe brats had to make as part of our training, I still had mine up until a few moves ago when it was lost in the shuffle. great bit of kit, could be used for it's original purpose but more often as a chisel or a pry bar, made from 3/8 hex rod, heated and hammered into shape then filed to make it into a useful tool after which we had to heat treat it to harden and temper it, using an old coke furnace and bellows prior to quenching when the right colour was reached during the cool down process. I would have to look that process up on line now though as it's been over 50yrs since I did that though I have used a similar process to customise a few spanners then re-harden them over the years as well as hardening home made bucking bars made out of sections of railway tracks, cut and shaped to fit a particular job.

dkh51250

Sergeant
:biggrin::biggrin:Ok, ya got me. I remember during my apprenticeship having to take training in coppersmithing, welding and blacksmithing but I think the end result of that training only resulted in me being able to solder a leakproof joint in copper tubing, somthing that's come in handy a few times when the pipes have burst due to a Canadian winter and breakdown in the heating system, a bit of welding, both oxyacetylene and electric arc, mostly on old cars I've been working on and the fabrication of a GS screwdriver in our blacksmithing course that all us Airframe brats had to make as part of our training, I still had mine up until a few moves ago when it was lost in the shuffle. great bit of kit, could be used for it's original purpose but more often as a chisel or a pry bar, made from 3/8 hex rod, heated and hammered into shape then filed to make it into a useful tool after which we had to heat treat it to harden and temper it, using an old coke furnace and bellows prior to quenching when the right colour was reached during the cool down process. I would have to look that process up on line now though as it's been over 50yrs since I did that though I have used a similar process to customise a few spanners then re-harden them over the years as well as hardening home made bucking bars made out of sections of railway tracks, cut and shaped to fit a particular job.

As I mentioned earlier, all history now Sir. See what happens when you stop free school milk.

G

Gord

As I mentioned earlier, all history now Sir. See what happens when you stop free school milk.

Ye Gods I hated that sh!te, half the tiime it was verging on going sour after being left sitting on the floor in the hallway and the rest of the time you had to stick it on a bloody radiator to thaw it out after it froze. I do remember taking a few bottles home though so that my mam could use them in cooking. I still don't drink milk to this day except on cereal or on the rare occasions I drink tea. I sometimes wonder who the first person was who said to himself "Hmm I'm gonna grab the dangly bits on that animal, squeeze 'em and drink whatever squirts out of it." I also wonder if he ever got confused and tried it with a bull.:sour::sour::biggrin: Or looked at a chicken and said to himself "I'm gonna grab whatever falls out of it's arse and eat it."