• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your opinions are wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Over the past 6 months or so the E-Goat post count and daily visitor numbers have dropped off considerably. Various things have been done such as reducing the amount of swearing and moving things like the pigs bar into and area where only registered users could see.

I would personally welcome your opinions on the swear word banning and would also like you to contribute to any ideas or improvements to get the site back up and running like old times.

If you have a gripe then I would also like to hear from you.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

L

Little Tronk

A problem, in my view, is that there are some members on here who seem to take great joy in being 'holier than thou' over people and shooting there view down in flames in a very condisending(sp) manner.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I find that some people on here tend to be professional arguers. They're easy to spot, they only add to a thread when they're arguing.

Alot of posters have no manners or common decency either, that's part of the reason I stopped contributing to the F1 threads.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
A problem, in my view, is that there are some members on here who seem to take great joy in being 'holier than thou' over people and shooting there view down in flames in a very condisending(sp) manner.

I agree with that point. The ,"Been done before", we had in the past didn't help things either.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Over the past 6 months or so the E-Goat post count and daily visitor numbers have dropped off considerably.
Steve

May I suggest that you find out if this is localised or generalised to the service community? .......i.e. Ask the mods on the other 2 sites what the 6 month trend looks like...

You may be trying to fix the unfixable.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I agree with a few others, on numerous occasions people have been needlessly slapped down, this must have put off a few folk. Its no different than what you would expect to see in a crewroom but nevertheless it seems to happen almost daily.

With regards to post count, I am not sure if I just speak for myself here but I am happy to help out answering questions on the recruitment front, but I only normally browse the goat using the 'New Post' function, If I don't see the threads I cant respond to them. I understand this was isolated a while back to stop clutter but it might have been to the detriment of the site in general.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Over the past 6 months or so the E-Goat post count and daily visitor numbers have dropped off considerably. Various things have been done such as reducing the amount of swearing and moving things like the pigs bar into and area where only registered users could see.

I would personally welcome your opinions on the swear word banning and would also like you to contribute to any ideas or improvements to get the site back up and running like old times.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

How far back does your data go? Is this a cyclical/seasonal trend or are the 'hits' really in a long term decline.

A

amfortas

I have only just found this place.

It does have a smell of oil about it.

Perhaps a little more appreciation of other trades, not to mention Officers.

Some of us have served before and aft the mast.

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
Come on guys (and those guys with bumps on their chests) lighten up, remember the old adage, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined.....!!!!! I was never in a liney's tea room in my life, but lived with a few at Scampton. Great set of guys, who I probably wouldn't have met if the commcen accommodation wasn't full. Everyone has a point of view, and if you post it then you should expect comments on it, good or bad. Exactly the same if you went into the NAAFI, or mess and asked the same questions as are asked here. You would get the people who genuinely want to help you, the ones that have been through what you are going through before and offer assistance, and then there are the people who can't get their head around it all and fall back on either sarcasm or humour. Its life and if you use an open forum to discuss things be ready for all sorts of replies.

In deference to the last poster I won't mention officers......lol We all know there are good officers and bad ones, we have or have had to deal with which ever type we landed with.

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I have only just found this place.

It does have a smell of oil about it.

Perhaps a little more appreciation of other trades, not to mention Officers.

Some of us have served before and aft the mast.

Can you expand on that, I for one cannot decipher what you're trying to say mate.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can you expand on that, I for one cannot decipher what you're trying to say mate.

I believe he means that the place is very techie centric and that appreciation of other trades incl. commissioned types would be nice...

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber

Many thanks in advance.
Steve

Personally, I think the banning of swear words forces us to think of a better way of expressing a view on a subject.
I have a feeling that the worries about the future of the RAF, the conditions in which you serve (I left years ago), are doing no good for morale and thus postings.
It's as if the service is 'breaking apart' (divide & rule ?)

:S

A

amfortas

So, I have been on the Glen Morangie.

Do you want to go back of the hangar about it?

I like the smell of oil.

But there is a huge variety of interest here. And many intersting people to attract.

Banter is fine but slaggin' off may have put some off. It usually does,

I don't know how things have been in the past here, and I don't have the time to go through 100,000 posts. But heck guys, don't ask if you don't want some answers.

I have twenty one years, well before some here were born.

If you want some more folk, who will stay, make a good place and sweep the friggin' floor once in a while.

L

Little Tronk

I find that some people on here tend to be professional arguers. They're easy to spot, they only add to a thread when they're arguing.

Alot of posters have no manners or common decency either, that's part of the reason I stopped contributing to the F1 threads.

Is that not part of the point off this site, it is however the manner in which 'arguments' are conducted.

I have said this many times - 'No Man is at all hours wise'

L

Little Tronk

I agree with a few others, on numerous occasions people have been needlessly slapped down, this must have put off a few folk. Its no different than what you would expect to see in a crewroom but nevertheless it seems to happen almost daily.

With regards to post count, I am not sure if I just speak for myself here but I am happy to help out answering questions on the recruitment front, but I only normally browse the goat using the 'New Post' function, If I don't see the threads I cant respond to them. I understand this was isolated a while back to stop clutter but it might have been to the detriment of the site in general.

I also agree with this, without knowing of a threads exsistance if it has fallen off 'new posts' you don't know to look for it. Sometimes there are only 5-6 'new post' threads to view.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I also agree with this, without knowing of a threads exsistance if it has fallen off 'new posts' you don't know to look for it. Sometimes there are only 5-6 'new post' threads to view.

Why not use this link to save in your favourites then you'll see the past 24 hours worth of posts and it'll indicate whats new at the same time?:

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/search.php?searchid=3811081

"Txt spk" , (Grrr...) should be ruthlessly moderated. It drives me chuffin' mental !!!

I'll think you'll find that the entire mod team agree with you here and do get rid of it... (***!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Agreed with Little Tronk about the attitude of some. Try and have a civil conversation about something and you are shot down in flames by experts in that field.

Maybe some form of advertising could help, I'd never heard of e-goat until I met Wobbly. Can it be advertised on other camps intranet pages on scrolling news? You do a lot of work for charity after all, more members means more revenue/advertising for the charities you represent

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
What happened to the facebook group? That must have been seen by a few people.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Agreed with Little Tronk about the attitude of some. Try and have a civil conversation about something and you are shot down in flames by experts in that field.

Maybe some form of advertising could help, I'd never heard of e-goat until I met Wobbly. Can it be advertised on other camps intranet pages on scrolling news? You do a lot of work for charity after all, more members means more revenue/advertising for the charities you represent

We've designed a downloadable A5 poster to advertise the Goat...Once its uploaded to the site (very soon hopefully) we urge all who can to print some off and stick them up where they think they will have impact...

We have talked about other advertising options but a lot of them cost and we try to keep outgoings to a minimum so our chosen charities get the maximum help...

Status
Not open for further replies.