• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OP TELIC - The Original Nightmare

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Whilst perusing through some phot CD's I came across this particular image taken during March 2003, just after the start of Operation Saddam Slap.

It shows the Mighty Bat Wing Angel Of Death sitting serenly as the mother of all sandstorms blows around it.

I could tell you where the Stannah Stairlift of Recce Aircraft was at the time, but I'd have to kill you (or at least inflict some bodily pain)

Anyone got any good war stories from this time period?

flintwich

Corporal
Whilst perusing through some phot CD's I came across this particular image taken during March 2003, just after the start of Operation Saddam Slap.

It shows the Mighty Bat Wing Angel Of Death sitting serenly as the mother of all sandstorms blows around it.

I could tell you where the Stannah Stairlift of Recce Aircraft was at the time, but I'd have to kill you (or at least inflict some bodily pain)

Anyone got any good war stories from this time period?

You couldn't crush a grape, plotter scumbag, LOL
Isn't pixelation a marvellous effect? real photogs find it hard to replicate it to this extent

Kryten

Warrant Officer
You couldn't crush a grape, plotter scumbag, LOL
Isn't pixelation a marvellous effect? real photogs find it hard to replicate it to this extent

Ahhh - Photog......how I have missed banter from the lesser end of the trade....lol

Yeah, its a poop piccie - it was the best that the old steam driven scanner could do over in the RIC.....sorry, TIF building...still, it does convey the sheer beauty of the location I think......

Kryten, don't take the bait of the photog banter. It is only rooted in jealously!! We are no longer part of TG14 and are well rid of them!! The only reason they can't manage that degree of pixelation is that they are too busy finding out if you want your meal super sized!!! The mysteries of pixel interpolation methods must be a bit too difficult for them who was splooshers!! Much easier to ask "would you like fries with that??"

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Kryten, don't take the bait of the photog banter. It is only rooted in jealously!! We are no longer part of TG14 and are well rid of them!! The only reason they can't manage that degree of pixelation is that they are too busy finding out if you want your meal super sized!!! The mysteries of pixel interpolation methods must be a bit too difficult for them who was splooshers!! Much easier to ask "would you like fries with that??"

Harsh but fair, there.......:pDT_Xtremez_28:

T'were in that very same location that the mess tent that had been erected by a bunch of synaptically-challenged locals blew down in a particularly potent sand storm and nearly decapitated one of the senior members of the winged-master-race. Were you there for the event Kryten?

If you were, you are likely to be in this picture!

Attachments

• 39 Sqn Op TELIC.jpg
    39 Sqn Op TELIC.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I was indeed - oh, how I long for the "whaddefeck" casserole, laundry service that had the clothes come back dirtier than when they went, and snow on the desert floor....

D

Douglas Bader's Right Leg

T'were in that very same location that the mess tent that had been erected by a bunch of synaptically-challenged locals blew down in a particularly potent sand storm and nearly decapitated one of the senior members of the winged-master-race. Were you there for the event Kryten?

That can't have been TELIC 1, everyone in the picture is wearing deserts! If that was TELIC 1 at least 75% of you would have been wearing temperate CS95 or a mixture of Gulf War 1 era desert and tropical gear.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
That can't have been TELIC 1, everyone in the picture is wearing deserts! If that was TELIC 1 at least 75% of you would have been wearing temperate CS95 or a mixture of Gulf War 1 era desert and tropical gear.

It was indeed TELIC 1 - we deployed with CS95 but as we were unsure of how long we were going to be out there those of us that had deserts took them with us - the OC then decided that as the temperature was getting a little warmer and we stood out like the proverbial sore thumb, a set of deserts were made available to anyone that didnt have them. mind you, they were all in pretty poor state and very ill-fitting....

flintwich

Corporal

Perhaps you could explain this to me in your own words?
I and my colleagues seem to be too thick to understand it.
I thought that for a screen res image, pixellation would be even harder to acquire than in a supersize enlargement.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Perhaps you could explain this to me in your own words?
I and my colleagues seem to be too thick to understand it.
I thought that for a screen res image, pixellation would be even harder to acquire than in a supersize enlargement.

I cant - its all Romulan to me.....

The pic was taken with a 0.6 mega pixel cheapie camera with a sh1te lens. That explains the pixelation. It was TELIC 1 - Halfway during the tour we were issued with the DDPM.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
@Kryten - How's the head after falling down into that hole and denting the iso with your Barnet!

Its OK - went onto spare head 3 and all is well.....

I seem to remember you doing battle with high winds whilst collecting numerous laundry sacks...and coming off second best...

dumbsumpy

LAC

Yep, I'm on there, port wing i believe straddling the mighty Avon, although i cant be sure as i wasn't actually there . And I most definitely didn't visit Akrotiri whilst waiting for Dip Clearance for the jets, living every night it was my last ;)

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I recall being pulled from a course for deployment to 'somewhere'. Due to the tense diplomatic situation several deployment zones were set up in various countries, some of whom did not wish their compliance with coalition forces in the operation to be made known; I was deployed to CP4. Even the cleaner's cat appeared to know that CP4 was Akrotiri, but officially we were not allowed to be told, we were to pack for any eventuality so we were prepared when we got there.
The range of kit I got as a result was just ridiculous, leaving little if any room for civvies. Had I been definately going to a more forward location I wouldn't have needed (m)any, but going to humble Akrotiri meant staying in the mess which still enforced dress regs. What to do, what to do. I gambled 75-25 on it definately being Akrotiri, left behind a lot of the desert stuff and packed accordingly.
Arriving in Akrotiri and being ushered into an arrivals centre behind the terminal I realised I'd gambled right, but nobody confirmed it, not even the nice Flt Lt lass who did the arrivals spiel and handed out the usual forms to fill in. So I had to ask...
"Maam, excuse me but can you ACTUALLY confirm I am where my deployment orders say I'm supposed to be"
"Which is where chief"?
"CP4"
"Yes, to anyone deployed to CP4, you are here"
"Thank you very much maam"
<Cue rippled applause from elsewhere in the room>