• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OP TELIC - The Original Nightmare

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I seem to remember something similar - we were under strict instructions not to talk about where we were to be deployed - even after the war we were told it was a secret.

You can imagine our surprise when, some months later, the exact location of where the mighty Bat Wing Angels of Death had flown from was published in some aviation magazine.....:pDT_Xtremez_42:

ScoobTech

Sergeant
I was in cyprus on deployment in prep for that little bit of a scuffle, when I recieved a phone call from home base, saying I should be in front of our building @ 6pm the following day. Ready for deployment to somewhere hot sunny and sandy. The planning people hadn't listened in Oct/Nov the previous year, when they were told I would be elsewhere supporting the Op as part of a formed unit.

What a fun couple of weeks that was before the start. Having to return to the uk, with the plan to go back out cyprus for a couple of weeks befor moving on. So I left most of my kit in cyprus, to find out a week later I was being sent to a secret base in southern turkey, prior to being moved to the big sand pit in the East. So I turned up to Lyneham for the flight to Turkey in a mixture of the remaining kit I had in the block (Deserts and 95) and getting some wierd looks of people who were muttering who the hell does he think he is, hoping all the rest of my kit had been dip'd into turkey before arrival as all I had on me was an overnight bag. Fun times, with the dark cloud of an immiment posting to a RAF Reg sqn looming.

Last edited:
E

Epimetheus

Op TELIC

Op TELIC

Tell Everyone Lunch Is Chicken! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I recall being pulled from a course for deployment to 'somewhere'. Due to the tense diplomatic situation several deployment zones were set up in various countries, some of whom did not wish their compliance with coalition forces in the operation to be made known; I was deployed to CP4. Even the cleaner's cat appeared to know that CP4 was Akrotiri, but officially we were not allowed to be told, we were to pack for any eventuality so we were prepared when we got there.
The range of kit I got as a result was just ridiculous, leaving little if any room for civvies. Had I been definately going to a more forward location I wouldn't have needed (m)any, but going to humble Akrotiri meant staying in the mess which still enforced dress regs. What to do, what to do. I gambled 75-25 on it definately being Akrotiri, left behind a lot of the desert stuff and packed accordingly.
Arriving in Akrotiri and being ushered into an arrivals centre behind the terminal I realised I'd gambled right, but nobody confirmed it, not even the nice Flt Lt lass who did the arrivals spiel and handed out the usual forms to fill in. So I had to ask...
"Maam, excuse me but can you ACTUALLY confirm I am where my deployment orders say I'm supposed to be"
"Which is where chief"?
"CP4"
"Yes, to anyone deployed to CP4, you are here"
"Thank you very much maam"
<Cue rippled applause from elsewhere in the room>

That little tale is worthy of Bloggs (see Masked Geek)