• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Motor bike tests

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Very nice Kryten.

I have just recently decided I want my full licence after 20 years of not riding. I am doing CBT tomorrow and Mod 1 at the end of the month.

(strange situation, I have no need to do CBT ever because of when I passed my car test, I can ride a moped forever without needing one, but because I want a full Bike licence I need to go and do one, and while I am obviously going to do it on big bike I could technically do it on a twist and go 50?)

I may be wrong, but that may only qualify you for an automatic license. Big scooters only.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I may be wrong, but that may only qualify you for an automatic license. Big scooters only.

CBT is required before I do any of the Motorcycle tests. It does not matter what you do it on.

Even a brand new 17 year old can theoretically do CBT on a twist and go 50 and then ride a geared 125 on L plates straight after.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
CBT is required before I do any of the Motorcycle tests. It does not matter what you do it on.

Even a brand new 17 year old can theoretically do CBT on a twist and go 50 and then ride a geared 125 on L plates straight after.

I stand corrected. I am of an age where a quick ride round Boston earned me a 'Ticket' :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I wish I had done mine 20 years ago, it seems a right faff these days.

It is a bit of a faff - having just gone through it you have CBT, then theory test, then MOD 1 & MOD 2 tests, all of which have to be done within 2 years of each other as the passes up to MOD 2 are time-limited...and it's not cheap..

Mind you - once you pass, it's bloody great fun!

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
It is a bit of a faff - having just gone through it you have CBT, then theory test, then MOD 1 & MOD 2 tests, all of which have to be done within 2 years of each other as the passes up to MOD 2 are time-limited...and it's not cheap..

Did my theory last week, the cheapest bit out of the lot :)

I have both CBT and Mod 1 this month, with Mod 2 being done early next month as long as I pass Mod 1.

Elwood

SAC
Passed mine in 82 but not showing on my license since I sent it away for change of address.
I seem to remember that the DVLA lost a load of records, and a number of people who had been riding for years lost their qualification. There is no back up.I hope that I'm wrong, but the story blew up when a motorcyclist was stopped by the police, only to find that he couldn't prove that he had passed a bike test!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I seem to remember that the DVLA lost a load of records, and a number of people who had been riding for years lost their qualification. There is no back up.I hope that I'm wrong, but the story blew up when a motorcyclist was stopped by the police, only to find that he couldn't prove that he had passed a bike test!
I am not that bothered nowadays, far too old and fat.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
The losing qualification fiasco caused a heap of heartache to quite a few. The benefit of laser scanners and printers at least means you have some argument should it happen again.

And if you are to old and fat, isn't that what Harleys are for??:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The losing qualification fiasco caused a heap of heartache to quite a few. The benefit of laser scanners and printers at least means you have some argument should it happen again.

And if you are to old and fat, isn't that what Harleys are for??:pDT_Xtremez_31:
The wannabe 'easy riders' with their round lids and dark shades, no thanks, I look like a t**t without dressing up as one.

HeWitch

Corporal
Planned on getting a licence a couple of years ago but some things cropped up (mainly the Falklands) so fast forward a bit...
Still trying to get my full licence before my theory test ran out - everything was going well, CBT done, bit of time on little bikes to get my head in the game, lessons on big bike to the point instructor said "yep, book your Mod 1, you're ready" and lo and behold, I can't get an appointment until 3 weeks after my theory ran out.

Bother.

So, new theory test booked for Tuesday, cue digging out all the old books.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Planned on getting a licence a couple of years ago but some things cropped up (mainly the Falklands) so fast forward a bit...
Still trying to get my full licence before my theory test ran out - everything was going well, CBT done, bit of time on little bikes to get my head in the game, lessons on big bike to the point instructor said "yep, book your Mod 1, you're ready" and lo and behold, I can't get an appointment until 3 weeks after my theory ran out.

Bother.

So, new theory test booked for Tuesday, cue digging out all the old books.

Look outside of your area. A road is a road is a road. And I believe that new test rules kick in later this year. More restrictions on free use, post test.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Look outside of your area. A road is a road is a road. And I believe that new test rules kick in later this year. More restrictions on free use, post test.

Yep, especially for booking Mod 1, which is all done off the road and is the slow speed handling stuff, saying that though, you will never get both in before the 2 years is out so you might as well re-do the theory. At least it is fairly cheap.

I believe the trouble with trying to book it yourself is that the schools block book lots of the test slots up, leaving very few available for individuals, meaning they get booked up early.

Does your instructor not have slots booked up?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
According to the bumpf my instructor gave me the test changes are due to take place on January 19th 2013, when the 3rd European Driving Licence Directive is due to be implemented in the U.K.

This may or may not be delayed until later on the same year but one thing is certain the changes will (according to my instructor) definately happen.

Apparently you will be tested along these guidelines (quoting directly here)
A1 (Standard)
This can be taken on a machine between 115 and 125cc. If you are aged between 17 and 19 this will be your only option.

Upon passing the A1 you will get a full licence to ride on motorways and take pillion passengers, but you will never be able to ride anything bigger than a 125cc machine that produces a maximum of 11 Kwh (14.6 Bhp) until you pass the next test (A2) when you reach a minimum age of 19 or two years after passing your A1 test.

A2 (Middleweight)
The test and training must be taken on a machine of a minimum of 395cc that produces a maximum of 35 Kwh (46.6 Bhp). This can only be taken when you are at least 19 years old or two years after passing your A1.
Upon passing you can ride any size of motorbike but the power is capped at 35 Kwh (46.6 Bhp) this will never increase!. The other "restriction" on this category, is the machine cannot be restricted to 35 Kwh if it produces more than 70 Kwh or 93.5 Bhp in standard trim.

A (D.A.S)
The Direct Access Scheme will still be available but the minimum age will rise from 21 to 24. The bike engine size of at least 595cc and must produce at least 40 Kwh (54 Bhp). You must be at least 24 years old or can be taken two years after passing your A2.
It is possible to obtain your A Licence at 21, ONLY IF you have already passed your A2 licence at 19.

Automatic Scooters and Motorcycles

If you take your training and test on an automatic machine, all of the categories of licence and size of bike are still relevant.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Not discriminating against Motorcyclists then? Don't see any helpful EU Rules preventing a 17 year old passing a test in a Panda then buying a Scooby and using Dads insurance to rev it up and wrap it round a lampost with 4 mates in it.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Not discriminating against Motorcyclists then? Don't see any helpful EU Rules preventing a 17 year old passing a test in a Panda then buying a Scooby and using Dads insurance to rev it up and wrap it round a lampost with 4 mates in it.

You're not wrong....my instructor reckoned that the costs associated with someone at 17 wanting to be a fully fledged bike rider will be so prohibitive that it will put loads of teenagers off riding a bike.....which spells trouble for all those schools out there...

HeWitch

Corporal
Yeah, the future changes to the test don't seem to be pro-biker at all...

As to the other centres/block booking, neither much of a goer. Nearest centre is 35 miles away, next is 80 or 110. There would be one closer but they can't find a flat tarmac area big enough. And the "school" isn't big enough for block booking as far as I can tell, or at least they certainly haven't told me about one.

But what the hey, seem to be doing a theory test every year what with FM600 and all, so doing another one is just an annoyance more than anything else.

HeWitch

Corporal
So took the theory test today and am rather gutted that I dropped a few questions - I can blame some REALLY badly written questions for one, maybe two, but still lost a few extra bits on the hazard perception. Ahh well, passed it, which is grand.
Got home, went online to book earliest available Mod1 and...it's tomorrow morning. So somewhat bricking it about the manoeuvres but have a couple of hours beforehand to practice.

Half expected this and will laugh my backside off if I end up doing everything on short notice bookings before my original theory test would have run out.

Quick extra question, with taking a bike onto camp with a permanent pass, do you guys stick it on the fairing or does anyone have an exotic method of displaying, if at all?

*edit to add* Took. Failed.
Foot down on the U-turn, which is pretty much the first time I've made that mistake. Missed the speeds (49 on emergency stop then 41 and 48 on swerve) but that would have just been two minors. Hoping for a retest next week.

Last edited: