• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lockdown is here

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Easter eggs aren’t running, despite some jobsworth trying to ban their sale

Coronavirus: Easter egg crackdown over essential status 'wrong' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52090441

I find it amazing that someone considers the role of checking what is being sold in a convenience store "essential" at the moment. My neighbouring council are still patrolling car parks and issuing tickets. I've asked them on twitter as to whether they will be suspending parking charges for those people who have to work and self-drive to avoid public transport, but they don't seem to want to answer.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've asked them on twitter... ... but they don't seem to want to answer.
The absolute lack of self awareness of some people never ceases to amaze me.
Hey Martin, maybe they've got you on ignore cos you ask difficult questions.
Not that you can see this.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I find it amazing that someone considers the role of checking what is being sold in a convenience store "essential" at the moment. My neighbouring council are still patrolling car parks and issuing tickets. I've asked them on twitter as to whether they will be suspending parking charges for those people who have to work and self-drive to avoid public transport, but they don't seem to want to answer.
Just about everywhere round here has enacted free parking, apart from one very empty, and the others aren’t exactly much busier, privately monitored car park.

Entropy

Sergeant
If you note all these checks have been carried out on corner shops and not the large supermarkets. Even the councils where this has occurred has seen disbelief that their staff cannot apply common sense.

There was a story about this a few days ago where the Association of Corner Shops went mental at the behaviour stating that there is no list determining what is essential and what is not so how can they enforce what is not stated?

My local council continues to enforce paid car parking despite many people asking them for a response as to why given the situation. Their reply was that they should pay online. This is despite the first hour being free and you incur a change when paying online. WTF???

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Agreed - If a shop is open the stock inside is for sale, essential or not.
I am against profiteering though, and if I see that going on I tell the shop staff and put it on FB to warn others not to go there if they can avoid it.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It might not be profiteering but I’ve noticed that a lot of home brands have disappeared and branded goods are on shelf.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It might not be profiteering but I’ve noticed that a lot of home brands have disappeared and branded goods are on shelf.
Maybe the panic buyers have bought all the cheap stuff, or maybe the cheap own brands are produced by companies that have been quicker to lay off staff or shutdown? Who knows, but i do know that the end of some of the multi-buy deals has made shopping more expensive....

Entropy

Sergeant
Its usually the big brands that produce the home brands. There was a story a little while back where a bag of Aldi potato hoops contained Hula Hoops. They just run a short production run to the recipe specified by the supermarket.

It probably easier for them to refuse to run smaller batches of own brand goods than run flat out making their own products.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Maybe the panic buyers have bought all the cheap stuff, or maybe the cheap own brands are produced by companies that have been quicker to lay off staff or shutdown? Who knows, but i do know that the end of some of the multi-buy deals has made shopping more expensive....
Bogofs and multi buys where a false economy and a con. How many people bought items which they didn't want. Stay away from these offers and buy what you need.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Its usually the big brands that produce the home brands. There was a story a little while back where a bag of Aldi potato hoops contained Hula Hoops. They just run a short production run to the recipe specified by the supermarket.

It probably easier for them to refuse to run smaller batches of own brand goods than run flat out making their own products.
Having worked in the food industry I’d have to disagree with that one, brands do not tend to make other labelled products as if they get found out they would destroy the value in their brand. Some brands will out source their non core products, shop bought Pizza Express pizzas for instance come from Spalding, not your local branch during the quieter hours.

They just wouldn’t risk their reputation, and to be honest these Companies tend to be structured in a way that means that they wouldn’t have the spare capacity to take on work for others.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Meanwhile certain police forces carry on being a bunch of mindless authoritarian Cnuts. I have no problem with anyone going outside and practicing ‘social isolation’ whilst enjoying the sun. These grade ‘A’ shitweasels need to grow up or the British public will lose what respect they have for the police completely.

5D9F47DB-673B-4903-9CBB-F4B366602A05.jpeg

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Meanwhile certain police forces carry on being a bunch of mindless authoritarian Cnuts. I have no problem with anyone going outside and practicing ‘social isolation’ whilst enjoying the sun. These grade ‘A’ shitweasels need to grow up or the British public will lose what respect they have for the police completely.

Have to disagree with you there, Ninje old chum. The problem is that if someone decides that its all right to go out and sunbathe as long as they socially isolate, then pretty soon you're going to have hundreds of people deciding that its all right to do so. Then before long you end up with a crowd, and all it takes is for one of them to have the symptoms and god knows who is subsequently contaminated.

Personally I would arm the police with electric cattle prods, have them sneak up on the sunbathers then discharge howerver many volts into the miscreants gentlemen or lady garden areas. Then, when theyre writhing in pain point out to them that the suffering they are enduring is nothing compared to the inability to breathe, the rasping cough and high temperatures that this virus produces.....

Either that or stick posters up from the "Dot Cotton 1992 Lingerie Calendar" - either way it would deter people from sunbathing en masse.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Have to disagree with you there, Ninje old chum. The problem is that if someone decides that its all right to go out and sunbathe as long as they socially isolate, then pretty soon you're going to have hundreds of people deciding that its all right to do so. Then before long you end up with a crowd, and all it takes is for one of them to have the symptoms and god knows who is subsequently contaminated.

Personally I would arm the police with electric cattle prods, have them sneak up on the sunbathers then discharge howerver many volts into the miscreants gentlemen or lady garden areas. Then, when theyre writhing in pain point out to them that the suffering they are enduring is nothing compared to the inability to breathe, the rasping cough and high temperatures that this virus produces.....

Either that or stick posters up from the "Dot Cotton 1992 Lingerie Calendar" - either way it would deter people from sunbathing en masse.
Remember the scene in Star wars 'The Empire Strikes Back' where C3PO is reduced to his component parts? That's you that is you damned bogbot! As commentators have said on social media, it's ok for people with lovely gardens to go and sit outside but what about the poor feckers stuck in those godawful tower blocks? Perhaps we should have an edict that states no-one is allowed to be outside at all even if you do have a garden that would be fairer. As for Dot Cotton, I have the 2010 lingerie calender right here. Want to see?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I understand that people in Flats have a need to get out once in a while - and thats the point of the 'guide' to 1 hour walks.
The problem with big cities is that there are an awful lot of flats in one area - and many of the parks are shut/locked up...so where can they go?
The answer is Nowhere.
Again, that's the point of the 1 Hour Walk - Walk and go home...don't stop.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I wa thinking that rather than fining people you could ban them from using the NHS for a couple of months, including if they have any Covid 19 symptoms.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Remember the scene in Star wars 'The Empire Strikes Back' where C3PO is reduced to his component parts? That's you that is you damned bogbot! As commentators have said on social media, it's ok for people with lovely gardens to go and sit outside but what about the poor feckers stuck in those godawful tower blocks? Perhaps we should have an edict that states no-one is allowed to be outside at all even if you do have a garden that would be fairer. As for Dot Cotton, I have the 2010 lingerie calender right here. Want to see?

With utmost respect, if being outside is the issue then there is nothing stopping people who live in flats from going for walks and spending as much time exercising as everyone else - provided they follow the guidelines.

I could make a similar argument about not being able to ride my motorbike; if I ride alone and dont stop to talk to anyone, what harm am I doing? Perhaps we could have an edict that prevents anyone from going out on 4 wheels, but allows anyone on 2 wheels to come and go as they please....

With regards to the calendars, I have all of Dot's neglige ones from 1986 onwards, as well as my personal favourite, "Victoria's Secret featuring Pat Butcher 1992" - can I tempt you?:giggle:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
With utmost respect, if being outside is the issue then there is nothing stopping people who live in flats from going for walks and spending as much time exercising as everyone else - provided they follow the guidelines.

I could make a similar argument about not being able to ride my motorbike; if I ride alone and dont stop to talk to anyone, what harm am I doing? Perhaps we could have an edict that prevents anyone from going out on 4 wheels, but allows anyone on 2 wheels to come and go as they please....

With regards to the calendars, I have all of Dot's neglige ones from 1986 onwards, as well as my personal favourite, "Victoria's Secret featuring Pat Butcher 1992" - can I tempt you?:giggle:
Pat Butcher? IN LINGERIE?!!! I'm in!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Forget 4 wheels or 2 wheels after today's really scary trip to the local supermarket what some of the dullards who inhabit this country need is a properly functioning 2 metre tape measure. Complete fcukknuckles just gate crashing your personal 2 metre space to be first to the baked beans. Each shopping isle should have sniper positioned at the end to remove these utter fcukwits from the gene pool when they transgress. Safer supermarket shopping with snipers you heard it here first.