• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JAR-66 training

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Finally I have made a decision to leave the RAF after my 22 is up in about 18 months. I am looking to study for a JAR 66 license with about 6 others on my shift and what i want to know is where is the best place to do it. Is it hard to do it online as day release isn't at all possible on our Sqn due to dets and manpower shortages.

I have seen that Barry college at Rhoose is doing these online courses so has anyone actually done this?

Last edited:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
I am just waiting on my enrolement to be completed at Barry then off we go.

It looks good, if you register your interest on line they send you a cd of what its like. Its all multimedia stuff, I can take that in better than dry notes aka licence by post.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Wobbly, The set up BC has got at Rhoose is tip top. They've got a dedicated hanger area just off the airport where they teach it.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
I am just waiting on my enrolement to be completed at Barry then off we go.

It looks good, if you register your interest on line they send you a cd of what its like. Its all multimedia stuff, I can take that in better than dry notes aka licence by post.

Get Tae,

As you have obviously researched this, is it possible to use our ELC's for these courses with Barry or will we have to foot the bill ourselves?
I am about to enter my last 2 years next month, so will be looking to use my resettlement grant plus ELC to do the Jar 66 with Wobbly. I originally didn't want to work on aircraft when I come out, but have decided that it would be a waste of 20 years of experience and skills if I didn't.

P

pie sandwich

Standard and enhanced learning credits can be used plus the money you get for resettlement.

A mate of mine has just done his (B2) and is going to give me a couple of discs with mock exams and some notes etc when i get them i will do a copy and send them down for you

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Am using Barry myself. I would refer to the other threads on resettlement talking about Part 66. Barry's course is a 4 year one tied to a BSC in aeronuatical maintenance. 3 years will get you the modules for the CAA.

However, 1 year minimum experince will be needed with a civillian company before the CAA will even think of issuing a B1 / B2 (for civvies, it is 5). That will be relevent on aircraft experience as well (larger is better). Dirty Harry will mention about having your PDR filled up as much with verified tasks you have done on EVERYTHING on aircraft. I got letters from the various line managers of my posts to back me up. FJ time and with off aircraft posts will hurt my cause, but what the hell...

Barry do comply to ECLAS. They are expensive but the course notes are very good. I got the CD and the books to use. The exam revision packages they send are good as well + tutored revisions weeks are common and do not cost any extra. They do however need 3 weeks notice to take exams.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, how much is someone like Barry charging nowadays? Do they charge per module or for the entire course?

There are certainly a lot more providers around now than when I started my licences nearly 5 years ago. I used Licence By Post and recall paying around £600 for all the books. The notes were good but I would’ve given anything for some colour diagrams!

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Get Tae,

As you have obviously researched this, is it possible to use our ELC's for these courses with Barry or will we have to foot the bill ourselves?
I am about to enter my last 2 years next month, so will be looking to use my resettlement grant plus ELC to do the Jar 66 with Wobbly. I originally didn't want to work on aircraft when I come out, but have decided that it would be a waste of 20 years of experience and skills if I didn't.

Hello mucker!
Aye have looked into several and tbh they seem reasonably up to date and easy to use. I am going to try and do mine in the 2 years ish I have left instead of the 3 year job. Barry are ELC registered so a year costs about 1250, of which you pay about 240 ish. Good value I think!

You can buy your own extra modules and as we are up at ISK we can go to AST at Perth and do the exams there.

Hope you are doin weel mate. I am away back to Lossie soon, mabaged to dig a tunnel away, 6years is more than enuf!!

The big yin GT

Chad Norman

Corporal
Guys,
Just had a mate of mine start the ICAT (Barry College) Part 66/BSc course and it looks pretty good. This License/Degree combined course is quite long (4 years) but if you don't want to finish the degree element then the License (academic element) is yours after 3 years.
I've had a look at his course notes and they are very good. As previously posted, ELC's can be used with Barry College, this would equate to about £240/year for 3 years.

Chad

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Nice to see all you guys doing this - If you need any help with Legislation give me a PM and I will try to clear the mud for you.

I am a Part 145 Quality Manager and ex airlines Airworthiness Surveyor and QA Surveyor.

Best of Luck

Rigga

sumps

Sergeant
P66 B1 & 2 @ Lyneham

P66 B1 & 2 @ Lyneham

To all those at Lyneham (and Brize), I am organising a presentation by City of Bristol College to do a presentation on how they do their EASA Pt 66 B1 &2 course. It will be in Lynehams TDC on 1000(ish)1/10/07. If you have any contacts at Leuchars doing their licences they will be able to give you an insight, as these are the same guys running their courses. - If you need any more Information PM me.

p.s. I am not in league with these guys I just went to a conference on Maintenance Training in Aviation at the RAeS met them there – now that’s the advantage of net working and Professional Recognition with Professional Bodies

Grand Prix fanatic..
I did the module 3 A and B at KLM today.

Failed both (69 and 63 %)

Why I did them, I don't know as the world fell in at Marham yesterday.

Didn't revise at all properly this last week either (swampy land sucking my life away)

mightyhunter

Sergeant
Finally I have made a decision to leave the RAF after my 22 is up in about 18 months. I am looking to study for a JAR 66 license with about 6 others on my shift and what i want to know is where is the best place to do it. Is it hard to do it online as day release isn't at all possible on our Sqn due to dets and manpower shortages.

I have seen that Barry college at Rhoose is doing these online courses so has anyone actually done this?
wobs old fruit, think i've posted this somewhere else but have a look here-->http://www.brooklands.ac.uk/course_view.asp?id=BCR2293
you can use your ELC's but also they reduce your fees by a percentage if you're employed in England (hope your current loc. is south-of-the-border).

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I did the module 3 A and B at KLM today.

Failed both (69 and 63 %)

Why I did them, I don't know as the world fell in at Marham yesterday.

Didn't revise at all properly this last week either (swampy land sucking my life away)

Keep plugging away mate. It ain't easy and I guess you were stressing yourself cos of what happened yesterday.

Good luck for the next attack on the exams.

TW

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Keep plugging away mate. It ain't easy and I guess you were stressing yourself cos of what happened yesterday.

Good luck for the next attack on the exams.

TW

Thats all you can do!
Believe it or not - you even learn from failures.
You will find your weak spots and everyone has one. When you know what it is, you make yourself go through the barrier.

If it's any help - I'm cr4p at Electrics but even I got through! (in the end)

Grand Prix fanatic..
Two weeks of an hour a night on Module 4 and 80% at KLM yesterday (Shame the answers for most questions didn't totally tie up with my Barry notes, but that is the hazard of doing them at KLM).

3 down. Retry Lecky and that real bitch called Digitial.....

Basrah will interfere with the next exams.... Sorry... Allow me to study unmolested by children....:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Grand Prix fanatic..
Has anybody started JAR-66 with Barry???

Pushing to do the Module 5 before the sandpit...

The reading and retention is going well.

I've done all the Uni assignments (2-5), so can show a few pointers...