• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JAR-66 training

Just a point of order, JAR 66 was superseded by EASA Part 66 in late 2004, and is part of a more legal framework.

This will come clear when studying M10. Sad I know but its my Job. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Easa part 66...

Easa part 66...

Just a point of order, JAR 66 was superseded by EASA Part 66 in late 2004, and is part of a more legal framework.

This will come clear when studying M10. Sad I know but its my Job. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Very true mate, but Wobbly (who started this thread) decided the recession was the wrong time to leave.. and this thread is ancient!!

The recession is hitting big time at the mo, it certainly is not a good time to be a connie. Fortunately I'm not one.
The bountry between B1 and B2 is changing soon as well. The EC will be authorising changes by EASA to the range of avionics tasks that a full B1 can certify. It will also authorise B2s to certify crimping etc (a stupid shortsight by EASA in the first place!) This will change 147 notes and examinations in the longer term I bet.

Last edited:
In addition to what ILLKC has said and as a point of interest, there is a NPA which has just been passed by EASA that will eventually permit category B2 licence holders to issue a CRS for certain tasks that currently fall under the scope of the 'A' licence (daily's, weekly's, wheels, brakes etc.). Approvals will be granted at company level after individuals have demonstrated sufficient experience and OJT. The idea behind it is to make better use of manpower on the line and about time too. A couple of nav data uploads prior to putting your feet up for the rest of the night whilst the B1 guys are out there punting is now taking the ****. Time to get you hands dirty!!

B2 LAE's who previously held 'X' (electrical) licenses under BCAR section L were also issued a B1 licence on conversion to Part-66. It has restrictions 10 and 11 (Airframe & Engine) imposed. As electrics comes under the domain of category B1, these guys had to be given restricted B1 licenses to enable them to retain their electrical certification privileges. They can sign for the whole of ATA 24 including the associated tasks such as crimping, repairs etc.

Grand Prix fanatic..
In addition to what ILLKC has said and as a point of interest, there is a NPA which has just been passed by EASA that will eventually permit category B2 licence holders to issue a CRS for certain tasks that currently fall under the scope of the 'A' licence (daily's, weekly's, wheels, brakes etc.). Approvals will be granted at company level after individuals have demonstrated sufficient experience and OJT. The idea behind it is to make better use of manpower on the line and about time too. A couple of nav data uploads prior to putting your feet up for the rest of the night whilst the B1 guys are out there punting is now taking the ****. Time to get you hands dirty!!

B2 LAE's who previously held 'X' (electrical) licenses under BCAR section L were also issued a B1 licence on conversion to Part-66. It has restrictions 10 and 11 (Airframe & Engine) imposed. As electrics comes under the domain of category B1, these guys had to be given restricted B1 licenses to enable them to retain their electrical certification privileges. They can sign for the whole of ATA 24 including the associated tasks such as crimping, repairs etc.

Missed that one mate, but as I work in Base, I paid little regard to that part of Opinion 5/09!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Is there still a benefit to studying the A modules as well? I take it the time taken to gain Company Approval will be similar for A and B2 engineers?

Or will holding an A shorten the process?

Last edited:
Merlin,

Don't wast your valuable time doing A modules, always do the higher level exams, you will still get an A licence with B1 and soon poss with B2. To start with a company may not give you approvals with your B but you may with A which will gets your foot in the door. But you will have you B up you sleeve without going to do extra exams.

This is all for line maint, for base you have fitters and Engineers(B1, B2 and C)

Correct me if I am wrong DH

TA

Some sound advice from Throatarea.

Modules 1-10 are common to both B1 and B2 but the level of knowledge required is different and is dependent on licence category. The following modules have a higher level and I've shown the applicable category:

Mod 2 - B1
Mod 4 - B2
Mod 5 - B2
Mod 6 - B1
Mod 7 - B1

If you intend to become dual licensed it would be prudent to take these modules at the highest level first time round. This will remove the need to sit conversion examinations at a later date. There are other modules that are unique to category but these will need to be taken seperately.

As for doing your A licence Merlin, my advice would be to either take the additional modules for category A or B1 in conjunction with your B2. It is my understanding the the NPA recently passed by EASA will not allow the CAA to hand out free A licenses to current or future B2 AML holders. It will just permit organisations to manage and approve suitable qualifed and experienced B2 guys to hold certain privileges which currently fall under the remit of the category A mechanic. The scope of these approvals however remains to be seen.

An ex-forces leaver only needs 6 months civil experience to apply for the A licence. You are more marketable with an A and B2 and employers will know you could hold the minimum of a 'daily' approval utilising the A licence months before you have sufficient experience to apply for the B2. This is particularly useful in a line environment. Unlike a B1 or B2, the category A licence cannot be endorsed with any type ratings. Approvals are issued at company level following a course on type and structured OJT. These approvals are usually 'limited and simple' tasks such as daily checks, wheels and brakes, basic IFE and cabin items. The scope of the approval can vary depending on the company you work for and it is down to the QA manager to decide what these guys can and cannot sign for.

Grand Prix fanatic..
Merlin, as DH and Throatarea have stated, do the B1 or B2 modules to the highest levels you can. I didn't do 4 or 5 to B2 level.. Then again I struggle at the minute to get the leckie and Av tasks I need to get B1!!LOL

Cheers for the advice!

B1 and B2 is the ultimate goal, I was going to use the Cat A as a stepping stone. Like most Fairies I wouldn't have a clue how to do sheet metal work and thought I would concentrate on the A and B2 first.

Then with these under my belt start doing B1 tasks and study for the remaining modules!

Grand Prix fanatic..
If you are an AV, do B2 .. Then again B1 techs do not do sheetie work as their day job, especially in base, there experienced fitters to do that! There are so many A licenced guys who cannot get work at the mo..

As Harry has said, B2s will possibly be able to gain some A licence certification rights.. and an A licence is a waste of time if you like hangar work!

engchimp

LAC
Having previously worked for a well known Dutch airline for a while, I completely agree with previous posts in terms of not bothering with your Cat A, There are a vast number of airline and Kingston apprentices out there with Cat A's who cannot find work, even as Mech's for the winter programme.
Go straight for B1 and B2, I worked with a former RAF Leckie who was hacking and bashing for his B1, to be fair he weren't that bad....:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Grand Prix fanatic..
CAP 741 Experience sheet (New format) Editable Word Copy

CAP 741 Experience sheet (New format) Editable Word Copy

A couple of years ago, I started recording all the ATA tasks I had been invovled in onto a Word Template of the CAP 741 chap 3.2 experience worksheets that I produced. Since then the format of the CAP 741 has been revised and turned from A4 to A5 size. I have changed my template to the new format, while retaining the size to A4. To those who wonder how I add additional entries I use a borderless template to add text to the next rows after editing my original soft copy sheet. Just ensure the entry to be printed is on the correct line of the borderless template and your existing sheet is correctly orientated in your printer! I arrange the soft copy sheets in a Company/ATA folders with ATA chap/type/engine/company as the title of each document. 99% of all logsheets I used to get my Basic were typed and printed on the templates. No problem at all using them with the CAA and they are easy for any Surveyor / licencing team member to read!

Enjoy using them!

View attachment 11367View attachment 11366View attachment 11365