• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JAR-66 training

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Be very carefull about that statement it is entirely up to the CAA about qualifying time they may give you the minimum but they can also give you the 5 year max however this is unlikely. Ab-anitio students have to have 5 years experience however time in training(normally 2 years) can be deducted from that requirement.

You are 100% correct in your comment. To be quite honest, the modern PDR format I used is absloute bollox. The previous version was more in line with what the CAA would wish to see. It is worth people looking on line at the CAA website and ltaking a peek at CAP741. It states exactly what the CAA are looking for as experience requirements in terms of tasks carried out. DH listed his Tristar tasks in ATA100 format. A thread on the Airmech website has a link to a downloadable and useable copy (with "sample" not plastered all over it!)

I've brought the CAP741 and hopefully will be able to get that to a standard where the PDR is fairly irrelevent for tasks completed (most of the relevent PDR stuff will have time expired propably). I don't expect in the slightest that I would qualify for a maximum reduction (Not being able to get to do the multi skilling IP doesn't help). I still have 3 years to make the shortfall before the first of the modules runs out (only 1 & 2 mind) and 4 for the rest. Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
J

JPSforest

This is typical. Im at Waddo and the courses I want are at Perth and Bristol! Oh well, Hotels it will be.

I'm at Wittering and i've just enrolled with Lufthansa resource training, they are based in Wales too but allow you to do course via correspondence. For certain modules they give you a laptop loaded with interactive learning to give you the best chance. I'm due to start any time now and am using ELC for the most expensive modules. Sure you still have to go to Wales to do exams but they will let you do more than one at a time if you feel you can cope.
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Grand Prix fanatic..
I'm at Wittering and i've just enrolled with Lufthansa resource training, they are based in Wales too but allow you to do course via correspondence. For certain modules they give you a laptop loaded with interactive learning to give you the best chance. I'm due to start any time now and am using ELC for the most expensive modules. Sure you still have to go to Wales to do exams but they will let you do more than one at a time if you feel you can cope.
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

You shouldn't have to go to Wales to do the exams. Check out the CAA website for the dates that they hold examinations at Shuttleworth college in Bedfordshire. KLM in Norwich also take external canidates. The exams just have to be sat at a PART 147 centre to the PART 66 syllabus. LRTT shouldn't mind. I have studied most of the modules using Barry notes, but I have never been there to take an exam as I've done them all at Norwich (however they only do B1 mind!) KLM also allow multiple modules to be done. I know of one guy who went down to Barry to sit just module 8. Its only 20 questions FFS and he took 10 minutes to do it!

Last edited:

Grand Prix fanatic..
Module 10 + the essay completed today. Only Module 11 and the essay for 9 to do and that will be it for the theory side.

Just need to complete the 2 to 3 years of doing the task I was never given the chance to do in the RAF to get the experience required! At least I've got a start soon on the connie circuit. There are winter contract jobs on the Aviation jobs websites now. Good hunting for those who are!

C

cooljethro

hi all been doing my licence for a couple of months now got a couple done but curious about the essay questions. how did the people who have done them prepare. I heard someone saying once that he just practised writing a big paragraph out over and over again. any info would be great to

Grand Prix fanatic..
hi all been doing my licence for a couple of months now got a couple done but curious about the essay questions. how did the people who have done them prepare. I heard someone saying once that he just practised writing a big paragraph out over and over again. any info would be great to

The 147 centre I used insisted that the essay question was answered in a report format (Intro, body , conclusion etc). Typically the question will be an answer to a question and the application of that answer (ie, the interations between the 2 L's in a Shell model for Human Factors and 2 practical examples of the process in that relationship or what is a tech log and how is it used during the day for two despatches and a MEL deferred fault between the first and second sectors). It is worth your while looking at the various essay questions posted on AirMech for clues to what various centres / The CAA set.

Module 7 favourities are Corrosion, Mercury, HP gas and PSU safety, Towing, Jacking etc.

S

shaqs77

Standard and enhanced learning credits can be used plus the money you get for resettlement.

A mate of mine has just done his (B2) and is going to give me a couple of discs with mock exams and some notes etc when i get them i will do a copy and send them down for you

im in the process of applying for the course aswell through barry college. im officially out in nov but with resettlement, terminal and leave could be out by mid august. totally bricking it.

any chance a copy of the cd aswell please.

A

Alber Ratman

I would strongly advise that you sit the essay papers AT THE SAME TIME as you sit the MCQ for the relevent subject. It seems crazy to sit a multi choice and then have to go through everything again to sit a twenty minute essay paper. I sat every essay with the MCQ. I failed the first, but it was the smallest sized subject. Sitting the module MCQ + the essay is a better way that some other people do when they sit all 4 essays together!

Grand Prix fanatic..
Happy day for me

Happy day for me

NO MORE MCQ's to DO!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Hopefully in 2 weeks it will be the lot complete (1 essay resit)!

time for a cup of corrrfeee

Well done mate, all that effort will pay dividends in the near future. Now all you need is a couple of type courses on the dodgy F100 and old 737CL.

Grand Prix fanatic..
Well done mate, all that effort will pay dividends in the near future. Now all you need is a couple of type courses on the dodgy F100 and old 737CL.

Fcuking F100's will be going to Africa soon! Still some life left in the 146/RJ though (nothing else likes London City) and NG is the buzz word at NWI!

Last edited:

Grand Prix fanatic..
No more PART 66 for

No more PART 66 for

Me.....

Finished all the modules today after 2 years and 2 months. I could have done it faster if I hadn't been doing the university assignments and all the work I was doing at Conz and other things..

It is now a case of getting the experience in the next 3 years..

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Me.....

Finished all the modules today after 2 years and 2 months. I could have done it faster if I hadn't been doing the university assignments and all the work I was doing at Conz and other things..

It is now a case of getting the experience in the next 3 years..

Congrats ILLKC.....bet thats a weight off your shoulders !

Crack on...................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Completed my b2 modules about a year ago. Have you looked into www.club66pro.co.uk (ELCAS) very close questions to the ones the CAA ask. Also, barry college is crap, ask any of the ISTAR guys going through there at the moment. You'll be shocked at their stories of the place. The RAF goes there because its cheap.

Grand Prix fanatic..
Completed my b2 modules about a year ago. Have you looked into www.club66pro.co.uk (ELCAS) very close questions to the ones the CAA ask. Also, barry college is crap, ask any of the ISTAR guys going through there at the moment. You'll be shocked at their stories of the place. The RAF goes there because its cheap.

I heard that as well from 1 of the 3 ISTAR guys doing their PART 145 time where I'm employed at the mo. I couldn't comment on the stadard of teaching cos I never have been there, even though I have done 70% of the exams using their notes. I have come across some partonising comments from their tutors on the assignments I have done. Dirty Harry would be more damming with his comments about Barry, with what he has told me about their B2 BSC course.

M

marshall_rigger

hi all im looking at doing a HNC in aeronautical engineering via distance learning through perth college as a lead in to the possibility of moving on to completing my aircraft licences. i would be greatful if anyone could pass on any advice as to weather this is a good route back into learning before attempting the licences straight off and if there is any good referance material out there that would be worth buying to study up on before hand .

D

Dangerousdave1972

I'm looking at starting a B1 license now, I should have done this years ago.

So who's the best to go through, Barry has a few negative comments, how about part66now? I also see a few other colleges advertising the licenses.

Dave

Grand Prix fanatic..
hi all im looking at doing a HNC in aeronautical engineering via distance learning through perth college as a lead in to the possibility of moving on to completing my aircraft licences. i would be greatful if anyone could pass on any advice as to weather this is a good route back into learning before attempting the licences straight off and if there is any good referance material out there that would be worth buying to study up on before hand .

HNC means nothing in civvy street. The B1 and B2 are can be studied at home with application of will power (and there are enough freebie CD's with relevent course notes from different providers knocking about). Check the info on Air Mech and Club 66 Pro. The latter is a lot more expensive but some people swear by it. Exam centres are few and far between (AST, Bristol College, ICAT, KLM UK Norwich, CAA Gatwick and its satillite exam centre venues are listed as 147 centres on the CAA website). Some will take external canidates, some do B1 and 2, some don't. CAA exam dates, locations and possible waiting times are listed in part 15 of this

ELC's do cover the cost of courses, however work out the cost of 17 exams for B1 @ 42 quid a piece. Some exam centres don't quite charge that so shop about. If you have the 2 grand ELC's think about saving one for a type course as you are leaving the mob. A Rating is by far and away the most expensive thing to get and the licence is worth nothing with out one..

One last thing.. The industry is in recession big time at the mo and getting a foot in the door is getting very hard.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Can't argue with IILKC or DH's advice on this or the other Aircraft Licensing thread.

However, even though there is a Recession/Depression in UK at the moment, at some time there will be some light at the end of Labour's rule and some Licences will be very handy to have. Call it a couple of years.

A couple of years which, coincidentally, may match the time you need to get your modules completed!

Honestly - I hope this helps

Rigga