• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JAR-66 training

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Basrah will interfere with the next exams.... Sorry... Allow me to study unmolested by children....:pDT_Xtremez_31:

And Basrah did as advertized. R&R day one at KLM. Mod 6 (94%) and Mod 8 (80%, should have bothered to check answers, but cocky at mod 6 result) PASSED!!!!!

2 months left at the COB to study 15 (did Sootie MSAT last year and brought "The Jet Engine" so I'm half way there already), 17 (Propellers, the smallest module) and re read 3.

As Tashy would say.. CRACK ON!!!

D

DrunkenMonki

A friend has just finished what he called a 'revision' course down near Bristol. Essentially, he's done the first 10 modules in 10 weeks back to back, one exam a week. Anyone else heard of this course, or know which college offers it, or if their are any other similar courses? I think it assumes a level of pre course knowledge, but thats fine.

Anyone help with links etc?

City Of Bristol College run short modular revision courses. Have a look HERE

I did hear a contractor talking about it on a type course last year. Apparently you can do all the modules in about 20 weeks. Cost per module varies from £130 up to £1700. Can get quite expensive when you factor in accomodation, expenses and loss of earnings.

I don't know much else about it to be honest, hope this helps.

D

DrunkenMonki

Yeah, that looks about right. Only starts at Module 10 though, wheres the first 9? Never mind, it gives me a link to go to the education flihght and say 'I wanna do these please!'.

thanks,

DM

AST at Perth also offer modular courses for all modules. Most are 1 or 2 weeks in duration. Just done 8 and 9 in the last two weeks, they also offer a discount if you register with the airmech website too.

D

DrunkenMonki

This is typical. Im at Waddo and the courses I want are at Perth and Bristol! Oh well, Hotels it will be.

Still not exactly near but it might also be worth trying Newcastle Aviation Acadamy as they may be starting modular courses too. Try calling them on 0191 271 5821. It is closer to Waddo than Perth at least.

D

DrunkenMonki

Cool cheers I'll give em' a call tomorrow, doing a day of course finding at home!

Grand Prix fanatic..
And Basrah did as advertized. R&R day one at KLM. Mod 6 (94%) and Mod 8 (80%, should have bothered to check answers, but cocky at mod 6 result) PASSED!!!!!

2 months left at the COB to study 15 (did Sootie MSAT last year and brought "The Jet Engine" so I'm half way there already), 17 (Propellers, the smallest module) and re read 3.

As Tashy would say.. CRACK ON!!!

And Module 15 & 17 sucessfully completed at 90 & 97% (with all the Barry Assignments as well).

Just 3, 7, 9, 10, 11 and the essays to do.

Grand Prix fanatic..
How are people getting on their various modules and courses??

I took a weeks resettlement instead of PODL and used it to read up for module 9. Took the exam and essay paper today. Passed the Exam but failed the Essay. As Rigga would say, leasons learned regardless.

Must go back and do the lecky cr4p again!

Chad Norman

Corporal
Guys,
Part66/BSc at Barry going quite well. Modules 1+2 done. I'm finding (and others have found!) that some of the exam questions are not fully covered in Barry's notes but overall its an ok course.

One thing which I have only just found out is that with ELC authorised courses, you can claim duty travel when you take the exams at Barry! This is going to make the journey a lot more bearable!

Brize must shut down on Barry exam days with the regular 216/101/99 Sqn Part66 reunions :pDT_Xtremez_31:

When oh when is the RAF going to wake up?

Happy Clown

Chad

N

Natural_Wastage

Just waiting on my ELC auth chit to arrive at the education/resettlement centre and then I'm starting on the Part-66 B1/Bsc with Barry College.

I was initially unsure about going for it. It's very much an all or nothing thing isn't it? However, I'm really keen to get going now. I'm out at the beginning of 2010 so I've got what's left of this year and all of '09 to blitz the modules. Want to get them all squared away before I leave. Ideally I'd like to get employment, work towards that years experience, and finish the Bsc (I always regretted leaving HEd to join the RAF so the degree is more a personal goal).

I bet some of the agencies/airlines are over the moon at the influx of well trained hard workers into the industry. Particularly in the undermanned areas like rotary.

D

DrunkenMonki

Just sent off for ELC clearance with Barry too. Here we go...

Grand Prix fanatic..
I've only got Module 10 (+essay), 11 and a resit on Module 9 essay to do now..

Cleared Module 7 completely today...

Get in there!!

I've heard that JAR OPS has been binned now for EASA OPS. That document has finished the career of the DC-3 as a commerical aircraft (advisory safety measures have now become mandatory!)

Grand Prix fanatic..
Well done!!

Do KLM mark the exams and give you the results on the same day? The CAA make you sweat for weeks.

That comes under who you know!

I sat the MCQ and the examiner marked it while I did the essays. I knew the MCQ result (96%) straight after handing in the essay papers. I wasn't expecting the essay results today, but as I was seeing a friend who works at the college, the examiner had found the essay marker and he marked it there and then (Both 80%)! He then saw me and told me to wait around for the marks.

The college isn't teaching at the mo, so the instructors / markers weren't particulary busy. They take external canidates in with open arms as it is money in their coffers. I was also the only one taking exams today. It is variable of course, with their bread and butter exam schedules for their Kingston students.

Has EASA OPS replaced JAR OPS now, mate. Have you read it yet?

That is 9 MCQ's and 2 essays studied and passed since mid November! The head is exploding!

Last edited:
Well got my module 4 pass confirmed last night, WooHoo:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Got modules 3 and 5 in the next 6 weeks.

So that will be 1,2,3,4,5,8 & 9 passed in 12 months. I'm getting there slowly just need to save enough leave to get myself to AST for 6,7 & 10 sometime in the next 12 months.

B

Barf vader

Barry College

Barry College

I'm doing the Degree course and have sat modules 1, 2 & 3

Got 73% on module 1 so passed the degree part but not the license so resit inbound

passed module 2 with 84% but awaiting results for assignment

Awaiting results for module 3 and just starting assignment.

Biggest problem is experience. Looking for a job on Large Aircraft now as Shift NCO or AGE. Also looking at local airports to see if they can employ e part time so that I can get the experience.

got my ELC to pay for two stages ( 2 years ) totaling £2000 of which I paid £489.00

If I can answer any Q's then please just ask.

cheers

BV

:pDT_Xtremez_44:

matkat

SAC
However, 1 year minimum experince will be needed with a civillian company before the CAA will even think of issuing a B1 / B2 (for civvies, it is 5). That will be relevent on aircraft experience as well (larger is better). Dirty Harry will mention about having your PDR filled up as much with verified tasks you have done on EVERYTHING on aircraft. I got letters from the various line managers of my posts to back me up. FJ time and with off aircraft posts will hurt my cause, but what the hell...

Be very carefull about that statement it is entirely up to the CAA about qualifying time they may give you the minimum but they can also give you the 5 year max however this is unlikely. Ab-anitio students have to have 5 years experience however time in training(normally 2 years) can be deducted from that requirement.