• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your opinions are wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi Wobbers & All!

It's been a while since I posted on here, but that's mainly due to the fact that the firewall where I'm currently working won't allow me to post, only read. In the evenings I don't usually have enough spare time. All in all, I'm a bit busy.
The threads are about the same I think. Perhaps the main reason for lack of posts is the apprehension people have for the future of the RAF and the prospect of future unemployment?
The help offered to those making tentative enquiries is still there and willingly given. As for the swearing; we can all have a good laugh at a well placed swearword but it's the continual use of swearing by someone who may have had a bit too much to drink that seems to get peoples backs up. If you really have to swear a lot, why not keep it in the Pigs Bar?
As for the Mod's; they're still doing a good job for the site and their efforts are appreciated by most I think. However, we could all help a little. If you've started a thread and it goes off track a bit, it's up to you to get it back on track. After all; you own the thread because you started it - get it sorted.

Now stop moaning all you buggers and smile a bit - your face probably won't crack and fall on the floor :eek:)

Ping

tats

Sergeant
I used to love posting here, funnily enough before I joined but I got told off for the way I posted - fair enough so I toned it down but then lost interest when the place changed last time as it just didn't feel like it was worth me posting.

Then it got to the point that I was probably too new to all this to have a decent opinion, but then again I can't remember how many regular posters are still serving or as low down the pecking order...

I currently don't really post because when I ask a question, which I find valid I just get pointless replies that are no use whatsoever to me, so why bother to start with?

I know the job I have isn't the most popular one but hey, I'm happy to answer questions of people wanting to join if I think I can.

I really miss POB's stories!!

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
I thank you all for the previous posts that have been submitted as it not only highlights certain areas for improvement but also brings along ideas that we can can add to the goat.

I've also enjoyed seeing posts being made by our older members that we haven't seen around for a while :)

I am taking a great deal of interest in this thread and will try and implement certain changes based on suggestions from the community.

As for now, please continue to add your thoughts and ideas :)

stereolab

Station Cashier
Lack of postings

Lack of postings

The first weekend I posted on E-goat, I joined in on a PTI comment thread, my posts were, I believe deleted, and shortly after an all points bulletin went out reminding all users about inappropriate forum usage, ie it was deemed to be "slagging off PTIs, I believed my posts had simply stated my unfortunate experiences with PTIs while going through Swinderby. Fast forward a couple of years, and slagging of trades, particularly, TG17, of which I was a member, (Clk Acctg branch, not the fluffy sort in the General office), and yet MODs appear to allow, and indeed, on occasion join in with these postings. Some members have pointed out that E-goat has a "techiecentric" feel, I fully concur.

On a more general note having been out 14 years, the sheer amount of change within the RAF make it difficult to understand the terminology being used.

I visit E-goat on a daily basis, 7 days a week, I still enjoy its general outlook on life, and I agree with previous posters about the long awaited return of PS and ILLBW.

stingray888

Sergeant
I joined the goat 3 years ago, mainly for a laugh, of which there were plenty. What happened? I have taken part in serious discussioins but a lot of posts are now trade orientated, I have no interest in these.
Swearing? Its not an issue as it,s only banned in the public forums and obviously the mods have decided that we're not grown up enough to decide when a swear word is appropriate to a comment, as you would decide if you were talking to someone.
I think the "Best joke in the World" has probably run its course, perhaps this could be split into topical jokes and classic jokes?
All this waffle probably means I haven't a clue how to get people back on line. My only suggestion is "Lighten Up"

G

grumpyoldb

We have 67 responses out of a membership of 13,000. It would seem either a lot of people can't be bothered, or the vast majority wouldn't change anything.

M

monobrow

We have 67 responses out of a membership of 13,000. It would seem either a lot of people can't be bothered, or the vast majority wouldn't change anything.
13,000 is not an accurate number though. If you were to ignore any acounts that have been dormant for the last 6 months, you'd be culling around 9,900 users leaving the "active" populus at 3100. Then there are those that would rather lurk than post, those that have registered only to talk to hubby/missus whilst on det etc etc.

67 responses is good, and 67 better than just having the post ignored. And if it can go towards shaping the goat into a better place then it is all good.

T

The Masked Geek

Many are just resigned to the fact that nothing is likely to change due to being shouted down too many times in the past.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Sometimes, when I've been away for a short time, I get back to find an interesting thread that will be 4/5 pages long (such as this one!).

I can't be bothered to work my way through pages of people arguing and counter arguing just to see what's been said.

But if I comment on something that's already been said, you get the usual banter about not reading the thread!!!!!

If you could select a longer thread to display in a simplified mode (such as the view of threads when you are making a reply, with avatars, signatures and other stuff removed) then I may be more inclined to have a quick scan through what's been said and comment on some of the longer stuff!

Other than that, it's a good site... thanks for all your efforts!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

AllWoman

Flight Sergeant
I agree Grumpy but TMG is right, when you constantly see people being shouted down and having their opinions, which are as valid as anyone else's, stomped all over it does tend to scare people off from giving an opinion.

There are a lot people i know who simply got fed up of seeing new posters belittled publicly, valid questions from family of being ridiculed etc etc. Once that has happened in 99% of cases that new poster won't come back and if they do they will be sceptical about posting.

Another thing that was mentioned to me was that at times the goat is very cliquey and if you aren't one of the clique then you are more likely to be stomped all over on the boards!

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I was using a forum the other day that was laid out using wht appeared to be the same forum software as here. When I started a new thread, the title had some sort of auto-fill system, this allowed me to see if anybody had started a thread on a similar title. If its an option this might go towards cutting out any duplicate threads.

T

The Masked Geek

I agree Grumpy but TMG is right,

I'm always right. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

But as for the Goat, I take from it what I can and give back when I can be bothered.

I've lost interest in the socio-political "testicals" that comes with it, especially given our ruling class' penchant for sticking the boot in.

G

grumpyoldb

I agree Grumpy but TMG is right, when you constantly see people being shouted down and having their opinions, which are as valid as anyone else's, stomped all over it does tend to scare people off from giving an opinion.

There are a lot people i know who simply got fed up of seeing new posters belittled publicly, valid questions from family of being ridiculed etc etc. Once that has happened in 99% of cases that new poster won't come back and if they do they will be sceptical about posting.

Another thing that was mentioned to me was that at times the goat is very cliquey and if you aren't one of the clique then you are more likely to be stomped all over on the boards!

Yep, you're spot on, and more care should be exercised in replying to questions and requests from newbies. One problem we do have is that someone's other half sat at home may wish to join just so that she/he can send hugs and kissers, but then they have full access to the pigs bar etc.
Maybe some form of tiered membership where access to the more robust discussions, is only granted on request and not by default.
You wouldn't want your granny wandering in there would you?

T93

Sergeant
My view is that

My view is that

Many factors contribute to what the Goat has become & most of those are encompassed in previous entries on this thread.

It is clear that a number of members are engaging in One upmanship by increasing the post count & a certain clique does seem to exist. However, none of this bothers me, as this occurs to some extent/form in all aspects of life.

What does put me off, as such, is the constant attacks on posters for (in my opinion) no reason at all, other than an attempt to ridicule the OP/poster.

GOB: You mentioned earlier that if (more) people do not put across a view on this topic, then nothing shall change....but the biggest change required is the change in members (small # of members that is) behaviour/personalities/attitude (especially to others) & to be blunt......that will never happen

The E-Goat format can be changed as often as required, but the biggest shift required is in the people that utilise the Goat.

J.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Personally I don't give a monkeys what people post - there are posts that interest me, that I may comment on - but the ones that turn abusive are generally skipped over. The Goat still has good content, but as stated above - a few really need to take a deep breath (or sober up...) before letting rip a tirade against someone who has posted innocently, and there are a few others that need to think - "am I starting this thread to make others react in a way that will amuse me - and really get others backs up"

In places it still sounds and feels like the crew rooms of old, in others - more like a bar room brawl (bit like the RAF I remember...)

B

Bucc Boy

Swearing ban didn’t really affect me personally, my opposition was more a case of, ‘even though I don’t agree with your opinion, I’ll fight to the death to protect your right to say it’. In other words, I thought I was sticking up for that lowly member of the goat who might actually ‘want’ to use a profanity in the public forum one day.

Yes, it’s becoming more PC than it was 2 years ago and the sad thing is that moderators try to justify it all the way! What is wrong with saying ‘we don’t really want to move towards a more PC environment, but situations dictate’?

Instead they justify every change by criminalizing the objector, and making out there’s something wrong with them if they don’t agree........and ultimately, if you don’t agree then, Quote ‘maybe the goat would be better off without you’

I was shocked to see GEM’s earlier post, if he has given up then something must be wrong!

I recall a ‘junior’ member of the RAF passing comment (on the goat) on the dated attitudes of the old sweats (dinosaurs I think he called us). Unfortunately I feel this is one of the great divides on the goat, and yes, generally us old sweats do have dated views, Un-PC views, considered views and views based on life’s great experience. We also have PC views and modern views.

When you get a jumped up little toe rag speaking like that, in the olden days you would take them round the back of the hanger. On the goat you would take them into fight club, but obviously it doesn’t work like that and you just get frustrated with the PC manner you have to deal with it.

As usual, have said more than I meant too but so what. What you also have to remember is that we’re anonymous on here.

Having been the victim of bullying at the hands of certain mods, with the PMs to prove it, I wait with bated breath to see if anything will change. i doubt it tho, we'll have a little honeymoon period and then normal service will resume.

The blatant mod abuse is visible in the alteration of my user description.

If you aren't in the clique you will be destroyed. Thats the reason people in the RAF don't post or visit e-goat anymore.

We shall see.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Having been the victim of bullying at the hands of certain mods, with the PMs to prove it, I wait with bated breath to see if anything will change. i doubt it tho, we'll have a little honeymoon period and then normal service will resume.

The blatant mod abuse is visible in the alteration of my user description.

If you aren't in the clique you will be destroyed. Thats the reason people in the RAF don't post or visit e-goat anymore.

We shall see.

That's a sweeping and melodramatic statement if ever there was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.