• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The snow is taking up a lot of processor

Vee2

Corporal
I was wondering why my Firefox was taking up a lot of my system resources recently, processor rather than memory.

I noticed that when I had the Goat open my processor percentage used by firefox was up to 50% (that's one full core), even when i was doing nothing and it would usually idle at 0 or 1. I wondered if it was a Firefox problem so i came onto the site using IE and noticed that IE was really using too many resources than it should be (about 30% processor when not even doing anything except viewing the forum page). It was only happening when i had the Goat tab open in FF or IE, not when I had another tab open.

So I had a think (it took time, let me tell you!) and I think I've worked it out. The damn snow script must be doing it. So I've blocked it and now my processor is back to normal and I'm not noticing things like my text freezing when typing a post and am a happy bunny again.

Anyway, it's probably just me, but I thought I'd mention it in case others had noticed it and wanted to fix it. I don't know how to specifically stop it in IE, but I can show people how to stop it in firefox if it's causing them the same problems.

/geek

G

gemarriott

see I'm not the only one who thinks christmas is bollox

G

grumpyoldb

That's strange as I am on dual core and running firefox and don't have a problem with the snow. I did have last year with a single cpu and IE.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
What type of computer are you using?

Even this ****e DELL Pentium 4 terminal at work is only getting 50% CPU usage and doesn't suffer performance issues at all.

So I think it may be time to upgrade into somethink regarding a computer and not a calculator :)

Bah Humbug!

Vee2

Corporal
What type of computer are you using?

Even this ****e DELL Pentium 4 terminal at work is only getting 50% CPU usage and doesn't suffer performance issues at all.

So I think it may be time to upgrade into somethink regarding a computer and not a calculator :)

Bah Humbug!

Dell P4 3 gig processor (dual 1.5 gig cores) with 2 gig ram.

Losing 1.5 gig of cpu on a website shouldn't happen, no matter what kind of computer someone is using. It doesn't really bother me as I've fixed it, just thought I'd mention it.

G

gemarriott

Dell P4 3 gig processor (dual 1.5 gig cores) with 2 gig ram.

Losing 1.5 gig of cpu on a website shouldn't happen, no matter what kind of computer someone is using. It doesn't really bother me as I've fixed it, just thought I'd mention it.

I can see a fight coming between the uber geeks, shall I move it to fight club and get the beers in ready:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
According to Process Explorer, Firefox (v3) consumes anywhere between 50 and 100%. Even my resident FAH can suffer on my old Athlon 3000.
I haven't a clue why.

:pDT_Xtremez_17:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Same old fecking whinges....if I remember right it was exactly the same last year.......FFS if you don't like it, fook off.

If my Atom can cope with it most other cpu's should be able to.

Crack on.....................:raf:

M

monobrow

Use Internet Explorer and you'll have less problems.

My computer is a couple of steps away from the skip (Athlon 3000) gives at least over 80% in firefox and an overall slow to respond computer, 50% in IE 6 and a lot better to work with.

You can block it in FireFox using a tool called NoScript. Only trouble with that though is it blocks all javascript based stuff on the net. It can remove quite a lot of functionality!

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks guys. I suspect it is Firefox v3 that's half the problem (I didn't suffer it last year).
I think a new computer is indicated (I'm off to take my headache pills; my brain hurts).

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My PC's running 2 dual core Pentiums at 2.4G each and my processors are running around 24% if that helps Wobbly? (With a GeForce Nvidia 7600GS)

Last edited: