• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The snow is taking up a lot of processor

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
No

No

No worse if anything ....I had trouble last year too.
but 98% usage and my cursur does all wierd flashing catching up when have one of these over
I can't have 2 tabs of the goat open or it kills my machine. it is hamster driven (celeron 2.6) yes I know I should ask father Xmas for a new one but he bought a new graphics card last year!

G

grumpyoldb

My PC's running 2 dual core Pentiums at 2.4G each and my processors are running around 24% if that helps Wobbly? (With a GeForce Nvidia 7600GS)

I take it that's a quad then, ping?:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Vee2

Corporal
Is the cpu usage any better chaps?

I've just unblocked it and it's taking up around 99% of one of my cores again (Task manager showing 50% usage of my CPU, and the widget I have for Firefox that measures the memory of the core it is using is on 99% or 100% most of the time).

For those who have Firefox and know how to use adblock plus - just go Tools>Adblock Plus Preferences>Add filter.

Then tell it to filter http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/snow.js

Reload the page and the snow should have stopped. Or you could use noscript as has been suggested, but that would block all javascript on this site whereas the way I've done it only blocks the snow.

It's not bothering me anymore so I'm alright Jack.... :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Vushtrri

Sergeant
I haven't a fcuking clue as to what anyone is on about.....so long as I put the methylated spirit burner under mine to get the steam up it works fine

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Reload the page and the snow should have stopped. Or you could use noscript as has been suggested, but that would block all javascript on this site whereas the way I've done it only blocks the snow.

Just blocked e-goats java script using noscript and the difference is substantial on my old AMD Athlon XP 2000 Laptop.

Unfortunately, all the gadgets appear to be Java, and there is no way to filter out an individual script using this software.

I'll have a crack with that Adblock program you recommend.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What type of computer are you using?

At work I use a black computer made by Dell and at home I have a white computer that runs at about the same speed as the black one at work. Both have a three pin plug a keyboard, a screen and a mouse beyond that I haven't got a feckin scooby. If it's any use the screen at home is slightly bigger so the snow flakes are easier to see. In all seriousness I have absolutey no idea what core or processor I have or how to find out, but it does run a bit slower in the snow. The rest of the geek speak on here might as well be in Latin for me FFS. :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I've just unblocked it and it's taking up around 99% of one of my cores again (Task manager showing 50% usage of my CPU, and the widget I have for Firefox that measures the memory of the core it is using is on 99% or 100% most of the time).

For those who have Firefox and know how to use adblock plus - just go Tools>Adblock Plus Preferences>Add filter.

Then tell it to filter http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/snow.js

It's not bothering me anymore so I'm alright Jack.... :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Can't find "Adblock Plus Preferences>Add filter" in Firefox 3.05

M

monobrow

Can't find "Adblock Plus Preferences>Add filter" in Firefox 3.05
Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> In search box type "adblock" -> Search -> Highlight AdBlock Plus -> Click "Add to firefox"

Then follow vee2's post.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
ADP works a treat

ADP works a treat

Add Block Plus works a treat, my CPU usage was about 80% on one core and 73% on the other with the snow, now it's sitting about 10 - 15% now the snow has all melted.

This is on a AAO with an Atom processor, running Linux (Limpus Lite) and using Firefox 3.0.1.

To be honest this was making the goat a place to avoid, last year I was using a mac with safari and had much the same problems.

Vee2

Corporal
You can also use Adblock to block images that you don't like, maybe things like forum signatures that are a bit large and annoying. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I dont have any problems caused by the snow. My computer runs at the same speed it always does.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Add Block Plus works a treat, my CPU usage was about 80% on one core and 73% on the other with the snow, now it's sitting about 10 - 15% now the snow has all melted. This is on a AAO with an Atom processor, running Linux (Limpus Lite) and using Firefox 3.0.1.

Right you all knowing geeks help please. I have only quoted busby to highlight a point, the above means absolutley nothing to me I understand none of it, it's complete gobblyboll0x. So how do I find out what core processor device have I got fitted to my computer. Starting point, computer has fired up and I have the normal screen of wallpaper and my shortcuts displayed. Now what do I do to find out which intel wotsit I have.

This is a genuine request and not a p!ss take. Before you ask yes I am the worlds biggest IT biff.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Find My Computer or Computer depending on the version of windows. Right click and select properties..........

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
At work I use a black computer made by Dell and at home I have a white computer that runs at about the same speed as the black one at work. Both have a three pin plug a keyboard, a screen and a mouse beyond that I haven't got a feckin scooby. If it's any use the screen at home is slightly bigger so the snow flakes are easier to see. In all seriousness I have absolutey no idea what core or processor I have or how to find out, but it does run a bit slower in the snow. The rest of the geek speak on here might as well be in Latin for me FFS. :pDT_Xtremez_34:
What?

Can I have that in English instead of Klingon Geek Speak - you never mentioned hammer once FFS

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Right you all knowing geeks help please. I have only quoted busby to highlight a point, the above means absolutley nothing to me I understand none of it, it's complete gobblyboll0x. So how do I find out what core processor device have I got fitted to my computer. Starting point, computer has fired up and I have the normal screen of wallpaper and my shortcuts displayed. Now what do I do to find out which intel wotsit I have.

This is a genuine request and not a p!ss take. Before you ask yes I am the worlds biggest IT biff.:pDT_Xtremez_42:
How many times speak fekkin English FFS

I really dont understand you TB one minute you've got a Black & White computer now you seem to want to wallpaper the tw@t - are you on some kind of wacky Backy???? Or have you got a bad batch of meat pies?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts

Not got a windows machine on at the moment, and it'd take too long to boot up anyway, if you are interested try looking in the various folders within the control panel, words like 'system', 'about' 'resources' or 'preferences' and such like.

If you are not a biff then don't worry about it, knowing the geeky stuff won't change your life.