• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More reductions

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
To be clear I'm not for anyone losing their jobs - thats awful. However the last 12 months have proved beyond doubt IMO thatthere is no need for a large HR footprint on unit. Prolly just some niche roles needed....P1, welfare...?
I would NOT trust them with my welfare...................

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Have the powers that be gone down the route of de-militarising all 2nd line aircraft servicing and trade training yet?

just like HR, these are non-deployable roles that can be done at a fraction of the cost by civilians/ex-blue suits.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I would NOT trust them with my welfare...................

Damn right - in the big bad world outside the military bubble, welfare is either the responsibility of the Line Manager, or the employer doesnt give two shits about what is going on in your private life and dont dare bring it to the workplace.

br9mp81

Corporal
Have the powers that be gone down the route of de-militarising all 2nd line aircraft servicing and trade training yet?

just like HR, these are non-deployable roles that can be done at a fraction of the cost by civilians/ex-blue suits.
yeah thats fine as long as we never go to war with anyone not armed with more than an AK. there is no slack to fall back on if TSHTF

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
yeah thats fine as long as we never go to war with anyone not armed with more than an AK. there is no slack to fall back on if TSHTF
Correct;

As an example; GW1 - all the operational RW force headed east with all the extra bods they could find to cover a massive increase in flying (hours and wearing conditions), leaving diddly squat to do anything in UK & RAFG..... except for all the civvy RW engineers at Shawbury with reduced flying commitments covered by normal levels of manning.
See my earlier comment about needing spare deployable capacity in the system both for any immediate surge and any roulement required as things drag on. The question is not primarily " what can be done in the home base by civilians and contractors?" but "what resources will be required to deploy next time (and there will be a next time) and how do we train, maintain & use those resources whilst not deployed?".

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
As I said earlier in the thread, I can't recall a need to visit a PSF for ages....can't remember the last time I did....why do you all see the need?

The majority of PSF at my current unit are working remotely (WFH) and I've seen no issues whatsoever.

As long as the "working remotely" remote part of it doesn't extend a few thousand miles away to India.

If it can be done from home by a Corporal clerk it can be done at half the cost very remotely !!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
As long as the "working remotely" remote part of it doesn't extend a few thousand miles away to India.

If it can be done from home by a Corporal clerk it can be done at half the cost very remotely !!
You might have noticed that a lot of companies have been able to onshore a lot of customer service now that people are more comfortable doing a lot of the boring stuff themselves.

The call centres in India and other cheaper areas tended to do the more mandrolic stuff, now this has gone, overseas costs have gone up and quality and security have become priorities the difference has become negligible.

The competition now is in other lower cost but more educated countries such as eastern and Central Europe, one of the downsides of everyone else speaking English.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
How many times has that statement been proven wrong?
Several!!
Along with "The Lightning (English Electric of blessed memory) will be the last manned fighter because missiles will take over - shortly before the Phantom was bought....
.Then there would never be another single seat fighter (too much for one pilot to do - hence Phantom & Tornado) - we now have Typhoon...
We would never need to deploy long haul/heavy lift - got rid of the capability before we had to rethink and progressively bought a C17 fleet.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

A lot of the posts have yes....

And it's slightly disingenuous to say they are non deployable because those individuals do the OOAs as IAs to the FIs, VASS at Bastion (then), Minhad, Eng Ops deployed, etc...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hercules to be removed from service (allegedly)

"Tobias Ellwood MP, chairman of the Commons defence committee, said he had written to Defence Secretary Ben Wallace to express his ‘grave concerns’ about the move. He said: ‘Grounding the C-130J will endanger our troops and threaten the success of operations they are undertaking overseas. Scrapping this aircraft, 14 years ahead of its retirement date, would be a serious strategic error and will land poorly with Nato allies "

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
They're probably still worth a few bob.
Engines, undercarriages and instruments may be worth a little as military spares - but they cant be placed in the civil market and whoever wins the bid the scrap them may want the whole things to get the worth out of them...and mash them up into containers on-site.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was expecting the E3Ds to be first onto the scrapheap
The contract to scrap them is now out...to be carried out at Waddington. There'll probably be a lot of spanner monkey work for those in that locale with whomever wins it. Also Sentinel as well.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
You wonder will we actually have anything left to deploy with if there is a next time (and I'm sure there will, just when).