• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More reductions

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We say that civvies will look to be paid extra like it’s an unexpected and bad thing...

That civvy isn’t costing Joe Tax-payer for subsidised housing, messing facilities, a room or house to live in, dental, prescriptions, gym and personal fitness instructors, cradle to grave training and welfare considerations, socks and stuff I can’t think of right now, so if they want a trip by trip danger ‘bung’ then I think he or she is still the cheaper option?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
We say that civvies will look to be paid extra like it’s an unexpected and bad thing...

That civvy isn’t costing Joe Tax-payer for subsidised housing, messing facilities, a room or house to live in, dental, prescriptions, gym and personal fitness instructors, cradle to grave training and welfare considerations, socks and stuff I can’t think of right now, so if they want a trip by trip danger ‘bung’ then I think he or she is still the cheaper option?
I've made this point so many times to service colleagues I'm hoarse - in particular when they see that a mobilised reserve is entitled to his civvi take home pay from the military, almost invariably (but not always) a shedload more than a regular serviceman doing the same job.

Taking into account the higher cost of maintaining a regular serviceman including the pension benefits, it balances out better than expected and remains a viable and flexible option, especially in the short term, twisted sock or backfill scenario.

unruly1986

Sergeant
An aircraft maintenance hangar I once worked in was transferring to mainly civvy the role of key orderly became an issue. When it was blue suit run the SAC/JT did duty key orderly it just went with the territory. Then it became civvy run
First question from the workforce what's the going rate for unsocial hours working?
I don't do TOIL so what's the hourly rate for doing key orderly again?
Do the before and after shift unlocking /locking up hours count as overtime at time and a half?
Potential Insecurities found by RAF police I'm a civvy what's my hourly call out fee to return to work to lock doors found unlocked.

Civvies don' t have to go and civvies, quite rightly, want paying for things outside the norm. Yes you can find civvies to do all manner of jobs in dangerous places but be prepared to open your cheque book to achieve that.
You could argue that it’s still cheaper, hence the willingness to throw £££ day rates at contractors. No pension, medical, etc.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I’ve worked in a vast variety of locations and workplaces and Keys isn’t an issue in civvy street, the living wage security staff or janitor are always there to do the do.

I've opened on my floor around half the week for the past 3 years - I get the time credit for coming in slightly early. Similarly, those who lock also get time credit. Once, management told us we wouldnt get the credit, so the supervisors turned up bang on 0730 to start opening up, meaning the producers couldnt get their stuff and start working for about 15 mins. It took about two weeks where around 7 man-hours were lost each day for the sake of 15 minutes for one opener/locker before they saw the light and agreed to giving us the time credit.

I've opened on my floor around half the week for the past 3 years - I get the time credit for coming in slightly early. Similarly, those who lock also get time credit. Once, management told us we wouldnt get the credit, so the supervisors turned up bang on 0730 to start opening up, meaning the producers couldnt get their stuff and start working for about 15 mins. It took about two weeks where around 7 man-hours were lost each day for the sake of 15 minutes for one opener/locker before they saw the light and agreed to giving us the time credit.
They just give us an office key each where I work. 24/7 company does the rest :)

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Since working for large charter airline some years ago I learned that it is not wise to be the last in the building and I always walk out when warned about the office/hangar being closed...I also refuse to be on the keys list.
As an aside, being told to leave the building is just another way of saying you’re not taking advantage of the daylight!

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I must admit that this is something I haven't had to think about in the 22 years since I was demobbed - initially I was at a service unit with first RAFP, then MGS, manning the front desk. Subsequently I have been in a 24/7 manned contractor's building with a commercial facilities team manning the front desk.