• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More reductions

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OK it's the Mail so there could be some journalistic licence but.

"Serving soldiers are being offered up to £12,000 – to persuade musicians to enlist .......this is the first time the Royal Corps of Army Music – which is made up of 14 bands, 753 musicians and 27 training teams – has had to offer incentives"

753 musicians and 27 training teams in 2021 WTF

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Completely agree. Find the BARMY can't let got of a lot of "surplus to requirement" traditions. Big Sis was Central Band Cranners before I joined and that was THE band for the RAF and still is I believe. Not a fan of cuts but the Army still don't get it..................

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's largely their own fault. You plan for bang for buck capability, not how many smart young men you can put on a square of tarmac every morning.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not a fan of cuts but the Army still don't get it..................
They certainly appear not have grasped what reduction actually means. They have 753 musicians and 485 horses currently serving and the total number of Challenger 2 Main Battle Tanks is 227.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Surely after the year we've endured, its now time to completely bin off the ceremonial elements.

I cant recall anyone saying how they've missed a good parade in 2020. Family, friends, holidays, trips out, shaking hands, hugging, etc - yes, but a parade.....

fourteen2two

Corporal
The Army does seem somewhat obsessed with drill and ceremony. One reason I joined the RAF!
Certainly I didn't look forward to parades etc. Necessary part of service life.
The older ones among us will probably remember all the cleaning and bullshit that accompanied the AOCs inspection.
(n)o_O

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
One has to remember that the BArmy has endemic problems...recruitment, bullying, poor(er) management, top heavy...so the B5 is a way of (trying and failing) hiding that. Problem is in this day of 24 hour journalism, open forums etc they have been exposed and despite a clear, regular hammering have adopted a bunker mentality believing their problems will go away somehow...........

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Without wanting to de-rail the primary green thread, and not wanting another "All aboard scrapping the RAFAT Bus", I wonder if the Reds are under scrutiny yet again and, if so, does the current public and military purse have the appetite to continue funding them.?
At the end of the day, it's 12+ pilots, a squadron of engineers and support trades which could be dispersed to needy areas...

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I was under the impression that the cost to the MOD in keeping the Red Arrows is covered by the amount received in increased tax revenues from companies who have networked at RAFAT-attended events.

If the MOD are serious about cutting costs they should scrap separate messes and bin the Steward trade.

That would save more more than the Reds cost. But it would also mean officers & SNCOs having to take their own plate to a washing area.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
One of the issues with the army is that the officers, in particular, have it drilled into them that loyalty to the regiment or corps is everything so no senior officer is ever going to countenance cuts to 'their' cap badges. There are too many 'we're special and do things differently' organisations - take a look at QRs (Army) for examples of that. Working in a tri-service organisation is actually like working in a 10 service organisation at times.
The most senior officers in the Army tend to come from 'elite' (or elitist) or traditional cap badges such as the Guards or cavalry regiments rather than corps such as the RLC or AGC and direct things accordingly.

The other aspect that needs clarity is "what is the purpose of the ceremonial functions and who is benefitting?" Are they performed for the benefit of the army and therefore should be paid for from the Army's budget in competition with other tasks or are they 'state ceremonial' and should be more clearly funded as being separate to 'proper' defence spending. I would assume that the different budget allocations are clear within MOD but are always obscured when journo's and the public get to discussing the merits and costs of horses vs tanks.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Without wanting to de-rail the primary green thread, and not wanting another "All aboard scrapping the RAFAT Bus", I wonder if the Reds are under scrutiny yet again and, if so, does the current public and military purse have the appetite to continue funding them.?
At the end of the day, it's 12+ pilots, a squadron of engineers and support trades which could be dispersed to needy areas...
Times are changing, as are the traditional magnets of recruitment of excellence such as RAFAT - expectations have changed. However, it's still an important bugle to many stakeholders.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
If the MOD are serious about cutting costs they should scrap separate messes and bin the Steward trade.

I say this every chance I get. In these times of inclusivity and cost-saving why have 3 separates bars and food halls? it's a no brainer. Plus the quality of food will go up.

Maybe have separate messes for trainees on training camps, but everywhere else, get it combined.

Oh and get rid of all that Army ceremonial lot. And make them do all the MACA and Yellowhammer type stuff.

Quagmire

LAC
There is a FOI request about RAFAT costs.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
I say this every chance I get. In these times of inclusivity and cost-saving why have 3 separates bars and food halls? it's a no brainer. Plus the quality of food will go up.

Maybe have separate messes for trainees on training camps, but everywhere else, get it combined.

Oh and get rid of all that Army ceremonial lot. And make them do all the MACA and Yellowhammer type stuff
Totally agree..after all, what goes in one end all ends up coming out of the other and into the same sewer irrespective of what mess you’re in, so shorten the trip and have everyone the same mess.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The idea of binning messes is great, but to be fair the mere sight of a junior rank makes me feel physically sick these days, so there is no way I want to eat near one of the plebs.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Plus the quality of food will go up.
That's what they said about PAYD.....

I have eaten in a number of Officers' & Seniors' messes (and some combined eateries) of all 3 services in recent years, the differences are less about the quality of the food per se but more about the ambience and service style. For me, the positive about separate messes is that they give promotion an added benefit in terms of comfort and style. It shouldn't just be about money in the pocket.

And (as Downsizer alludes), we have in all the services a wide range of people from the highly educated &, frankly, 'civilised' to the basic general purpose grunt for whom knife & fork are difficult concepts. I'm not sure that 'levelling up' is what will occur,....