• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

F35 down

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
So, was it a case of it not being removed from the crashed aircraft or is it a case of FOD with a loose article not cleared up from the deck or even blown or sucked off of a nearby parked aircraft?

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
The service enquiry will be a just culture or Navy Blame Game? Please be a fully Matelot muck up!

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
An incredible **** up if true (likely seeing as flying wasn't halted).

I've not done carrier ops but spent a significant portion of my career on F35 as a Supervisor / Flight Line Controller so am all too aware of how many 'holes in the cheese' have lined up to allow this.
Multiple checks being missed is not hard to happen. Saw such once with a Jag Sqn incident. Armourer doing all the make safe for parking pin moves missed one. Signed for it. Cpl second signatory penned them (he was having a bad day as his application for redundacy had been rejected). Liney missed it (it was a Friday and he had been at the Bob the night before, so prehaps he wasn't the brightest spark that morning) and finally the pilot missed it as well. It was after engine start up he realised he was a pin short in the stowage and had to shut down. A few people went to see the Wobbly that day.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Having read more than a few of the publicly available Inquiry reports, I am very aware of just how many incidents have happened in the past where many swiss cheese slices have lined up just right...... In my job, safety is talked about a lot but many of the individuals who are a slice of swiss cheese seem unaware of their importance in the process and what the consequences of their slackness or lack of thought may lead to. The Haddon-Cave effect is wearing off at the individual level.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Having read more than a few of the publicly available Inquiry reports, I am very aware of just how many incidents have happened in the past where many swiss cheese slices have lined up just right...... In my job, safety is talked about a lot but many of the individuals who are a slice of swiss cheese seem unaware of their importance in the process and what the consequences of their slackness or lack of thought may lead to. The Haddon-Cave effect is wearing off at the individual level.

Unfortunately, I witnessed the H-C effect wearing quite thin during the last tornado years...but from the very top (and the MAA) - who inevitably influence the bottom line (one of the reasons I left a management position in BAES). I'm not sure if you've noticed but the MAAs RA's are now almost the same as they were before H-C's condemnations of military airworthiness and the (then) drive to work towards a Mil 145 and M (Def-Stan 05-130...now fully withdrawn).

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Unfortunately, I witnessed the H-C effect wearing quite thin during the last tornado years...but from the very top (and the MAA) - who inevitably influence the bottom line (one of the reasons I left a management position in BAES). I'm not sure if you've noticed but the MAAs RA's are now almost the same as they were before H-C's condemnations of military airworthiness and the (then) drive to work towards a Mil 145 and M (Def-Stan 05-130...now fully withdrawn).

Mil part 145 never made any sense to me. Even some of our European allies have generally moved to EASA part 145 for their maintenance (MRO) requirements with both military and civilian license holders auth'd for signing off military aircraft.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Mil part 145 never made any sense to me. Even some of our European allies have generally moved to EASA part 145 for their maintenance (MRO) requirements with both military and civilian license holders auth'd for signing off military aircraft.
The Def-Stan was a bit of a buggered up mess to be honest. I talked to the guy who wrote the original draft and he said his draft was almost the same as EASA - but someone in MOD changed it to become what was presented to the RAF.
As for the Dutch and French, and possibly others now, they follow EMA regulations (EMARs) which do follow EASA quite closely.
I was on the consultations for a MIL 66 but MOD stupidly left that out to Contractors (RR, BAES, Raytheon etc) who couldn’t get their act together without involving huge cost….heard that before?

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
The RAF and other forces would not have the hard and fast EASA / whatever the CAA revert to regs. It would put EngO's out of work.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The RAF and other forces would not have the hard and fast EASA / whatever the CAA revert to regs. It would put EngO's out of work.
Explain how Airtanker works then? I'm guessing that EngO's aren't out of work?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Def-Stan was a bit of a buggered up mess to be honest. I talked to the guy who wrote the original draft and he said his draft was almost the same as EASA - but someone in MOD changed it to become what was presented to the RAF.
As for the Dutch and French, and possibly others now, they follow EMA regulations (EMARs) which do follow EASA quite closely.
I was on the consultations for a MIL 66 but MOD stupidly left that out to Contractors (RR, BAES, Raytheon etc) who couldn’t get their act together without involving huge cost….heard that before?
Having recently worked for a European based MRO that has picked up Mil servicing contracts (under the auspices of part 145) EMARs are destined for redundancy.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Having recently worked for a European based MRO that has picked up Mil servicing contracts (under the auspices of part 145) EMARs are destined for redundancy.
You have an EASA AML? Did you transfer to another NAA?
Explain how Airtanker works then? I'm guessing that EngO's aren't out of work?
Because the aircraft are not owned by the RAF. Does a non licenced EngO have shout on the deferment of a snag over the LAE? Tell me the differences. I deferred an Autopilot system with the additional CAT II degrade and Non RVSM last Sunday. Lots of writing.

Last edited: