• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brexit Voter - are you happy?

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Apart from your annual two week holiday in Greece, please tell me your experience of living in and working in non UK countries?

Do you have any real understanding of the aviation world? I doubt it.
B1.1 and C type rated line Engineer with multiple ratings and currency . Same as you. Maybe more. Experienced Sheetie as well so can do base. Worked aboard as well on remote European line stations.

Last edited:

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
B1.1 and C type rated line Engineer with multiple ratings and currency . Same as you. Maybe more. Experienced Sheltie as well so can do base. Worked aboard as well on remote European line stations.

I therefore retract my statement and offer due respect in its place.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just going slightly off topic here.

When news of the Brexit referendum result filtered through to continental Europe, my neighbours were of course naturally curious about what it meant, what would change and how it would affect me personally. All questions that I could not answer because I didn't know and neither did anyone else.

Two months in and it was noticeable that certain neighbours were avoiding me, cold shouldering me and instead of the usual smiles, I was offered furtive, suspicious glances in their place.

It turns out that they'd decided amongst themselves that as the UK had left the EU, it meant that I, should therefore be deported. They also reported me to the tax authorities and told them I'd not paid any taxes which would help with the deportation process. Utter horse dung from their side but also a demonstration of just how little people understand of what non EU generated bilateral agreements actually are when it comes to taxation. Furthermore, plenty of people know about the EU only because they're in it whilst simultaneously knowing very, very little about it

Nothing to see here said the tax man and I never got deported.

The ringleader neighbour now lives a very isolated life after alienating almost everyone in our cul-de-sac with other, non Brexit related incidents and rumour mongering.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

It turns out that they'd decided amongst themselves that as the UK had left the EU, it meant that I, should therefore be deported. They also reported me to the tax authorities and told them I'd not paid any taxes which would help with the deportation process. Utter horse dung from their side but also a demonstration of just how little people understand of what non EU generated bilateral agreements actually are when it comes to taxation.
Sounds like the 3rd Reich is alive and kicking...

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
On a similar vein Vim, do you think its fair that more built-up areas in England fund Cornwall via Govt Central Funding because so many homes are owned by out-of towners who contribute next to nothing to the local economy. And before you say " what about tourism", over 20 times more Brits go to Spain each year than go to Cornwall. (4.3 million vs 200,000).
Not fair at all MWD. There are some in Cornwall that simply expected the handouts...sort of a factor in their business plan, rather than having a viable and profitable business. The holiday home debacle is much debated down here...and when it makes its monthly reappearance in a bar I take the line of asking who owned those houses before 'rich London Toff' bought it for a 2-week break each year. It you trace back through enough toffs you find the answer that a Cornish born, who in some cases had owned it for generations, saw an opportunity to make a bundle and took it. Then you get the 'if they don't live here then they should allow locals to buy them' argument which for some reason they think any government can do something about? Whilst I have seen compulsory acquisition for the odd house in the way of a new road I don't think it applies to some 14000 house in one County.

As it happens the second home owners have just been hit with a double council tax bill after a change in the law. Personally whilst welcome to me, I don't think a person who can afford to leave a £3m house with fantastic sea views empty for 49 weeks of the year whilst they live and work in London/Surrey is going to be put off by a Council tax of £4-5k a year.

Finally not sure where your 200,000 comes from? That's the amount of people that visit a 5 mile radius of Newquay over less than 14 days in the summer. Annually we get 5m according to Exeter University and I can assure you there aren't that many here over the winter, except perhaps for Chrimbo and New Years.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Finally not sure where your 200,000 comes from? That's the amount of people that visit a 5 mile radius of Newquay over less than 14 days in the summer. Annually we get 5m according to Exeter University and I can assure you there aren't that many here over the winter, except perhaps for Chrimbo and New Years.
My apologies Vim. On going back and checking, the article meant there were 200,000 in Cornwall at one particular time.

With regards to the ownership of properties, I really wish these political journos would ask those gum-bumpers that very question that you pose. Ultimately, it is a problem made in Cornwall by the locals, just as it is in the Isle of Wight, where I was dying for the Any Questions panel to take up the issue of 2nd homes with Isabel Oakeshott, Right wing former Daily Heil journo and owner of a 2nd home on the island.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This article from 2011 makes for interesting reading.

It revolves around the loss of manufacturing and engineering jobs in Derby, a town inextricably linked to the rail industry. The job losses were a massive cause of upset in the local area because rolling stock which was planned for the UK rail network....ended up being built in another EU state.

I'm still of the opinion that those manufacturing contracts should have remained in the UK.
The people of Derby were very vocal about the loss of jobs there during the run up to the Referendum.

British Engineering has every chance to thrive and excel post Brexit.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
I therefore retract my statement and offer due respect in its place.
So the shit storm of watching aligned procedures and spares having to be rewritten and re certified due to the unwashed over here does piss off people over here. I have a few mates on the Easy Jet AOG team that fooking hate Brexit. I will have the issue of having to ensure good spares I had in stock are not used as they do not have a CAA form 1 at the end of the year. Total bullshit. I had get my ticket through the full EASA 2012 rule changes. No chocolate ticket as EASA had got it as it should have been. True, beforehand was bent, but like everything else, it took time to sort. UK CAA had a large shout on that. No more.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
This article from 2011 makes for interesting reading.

It revolves around the loss of manufacturing and engineering jobs in Derby, a town inextricably linked to the rail industry. The job losses were a massive cause of upset in the local area because rolling stock which was planned for the UK rail network....ended up being built in another EU state.

I'm still of the opinion that those manufacturing contracts should have remained in the UK.
The people of Derby were very vocal about the loss of jobs there during the run up to the Referendum.

British Engineering has every chance to thrive and excel post Brexit.
The French and Germans sell their railways? UK railways sold off. Private companies to buy where they see fit. EU has never told the Germans or French to sell national infrastructure. Tories sold off the railways to companies that could go where they wanted to. And they did. Whom has shares in Airbus? European government still do and enjoy the profits. BAES did, but was sold off and sold their shares.

British Engineering will not have a chance to thrive with the present Government as they are all Indian related and will sent the work to India. Tories are not British anymore but first generation others. Tories do not invest in industry as it doesn't make a quick buck. My Grandfather should have continued to grow his company. If he had done so, I would not have been in the RAF. But he did not invest. Tory party member as well. But would not invest to the changes required that my father was screaming for. Then Maggie and the Tory made recession came along in 1980. Killed the work.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng

When news of the Brexit referendum result filtered through to continental Europe, my neighbours were of course naturally curious about what it meant, what would change and how it would affect me personally. All questions that I could not answer because I didn't know and neither did anyone else.

Two months in and it was noticeable that certain neighbours were avoiding me, cold shouldering me and instead of the usual smiles, I was offered furtive, suspicious glances in their place.

It turns out that they'd decided amongst themselves that as the UK had left the EU, it meant that I, should therefore be deported. They also reported me to the tax authorities and told them I'd not paid any taxes which would help with the deportation process. Utter horse dung from their side but also a demonstration of just how little people understand of what non EU generated bilateral agreements actually are when it comes to taxation. Furthermore, plenty of people know about the EU only because they're in it whilst simultaneously knowing very, very little about it

Nothing to see here said the tax man and I never got deported.

The ringleader neighbour now lives a very isolated life after alienating almost everyone in our cul-de-sac with other, non Brexit related incidents and rumour mongering.
Because EU membership meant you had rights to work and live as a UK citizen in that country. It was your protection. Without that you were a third party country immigrant. In this country, EU citizens have had to ask for residency. If they leave mind, they cannot come back. My Cousin has a German wife. Lived here for 20 years. He does take on jobs that mean he has to work abroad. She has had to take out British citizenship, like you taking what you have done, so she can come back in when he and the other family members return to the UK. Fair enough. Bar the price. And the insulting way the Patel Gammons treated her. Your Nazi neighbour? Loads of them back here. Loads are ex RAF.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
My apologies Vim. On going back and checking, the article meant there were 200,000 in Cornwall at one particular time.

With regards to the ownership of properties, I really wish these political journos would ask those gum-bumpers that very question that you pose. Ultimately, it is a problem made in Cornwall by the locals, just as it is in the Isle of Wight, where I was dying for the Any Questions panel to take up the issue of 2nd homes with Isabel Oakeshott, Right wing former Daily Heil journo and owner of a 2nd home on the island.
Sure I saw Oakeshott up in a hotel in the north East recently. She was a such a cow.

In this country, EU citizens have had to ask for residency. If they leave mind, they cannot come back. My Cousin has a German wife. Lived here for 20 years. He does take on jobs that mean he has to work abroad. She has had to take out British citizenship, like you taking what you have done, so she can come back in when he and the other family members return to the UK. Fair enough. Bar the price. And the insulting way the Patel Gammons treated her. Your Nazi neighbour? Loads of them back here. Loads are ex RAF.
I live in the EU, anyone from another EU country who wants to stay here longer than 90 days has to apply for residency, I think it’s the same in other EU countries. You can initially apply for temporary residency so if you leave the country for more than 6 months you lose it. After 5 years of temporary you can apply for permanent residency which lets you leave for a year. For non-Eu citizens the process is different, there are a lot more hoops to jump thru and conditions to fulfil if you want residency. You can apply for citizenship after 10 years.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
This question is asked far too soon. The process of getting in took 40+ years, so getting out wont be done at the flick of a vote.
People who understand the process are expecting changes to really hit in 5-10 years…

As for Citizenship applications, my German mom married in UK in 1947 and had to wait until 1963 until she could apply for British “naturalisation” as she had lived in UK for 15+ years. ONLY THEN could she leave UK borders…if she had left before that, her naturalisation time would re-start….tough times!

Last edited:

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
This question is asked far too soon. The process of getting in took 40+ years, so getting out wont be done at the flick of a vote.
People who understand the process are expecting changes to really hit in 5-10 years…

As for Citizenship applications, my German mom married in UK in 1947 and had to wait until 1963 until she could apply for British “naturalisation” as she had lived in UK for 15+ years. ONLY THEN could she leave UK borders…if she had left before that, her naturalisation time would re-start….tough times!
Changes have hit now and will stay hitting. Customs blockages and hold ups are real. You need to get out of your office or home more.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Changes have hit now and will stay hitting. Customs blockages and hold ups are real. You need to get out of your office or home more.
And you don't think those changes will adjust in a more positive manner in the 5 - 10 years that Rigga suggests?
Nobody with any sense thought that things would be perfectly improved overnight, nor that there wouldn't be obstacles to be overcome in the short term.
As has been said before, the question is too early for a meaningful answer and the last 2 years were simply another (unforeseen) complication that may delay a proper assessment of costs and benefits.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi CT,
A genuine question. Do you mean in general, or in the terms of aviation?

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Hi CT,
A genuine question. Do you mean in general, or in the terms of aviation?
It is for spares. We do have customs checks for spares coming in. I get an aog part in from Europe now, more paperwork is required such as waybills to book it in. Another example is operators of mixed reg fleets like CHC that have British/Other reg aircraft. RTS spares can only come off G to G etc. Causes my mate whom has that problem as a materials manager all sorts of headaches. Bet it does for other operators. Customs paperwork is back to it was in the 80s out of here, why Kent is still got lorry car parking issues. We still have not put the checks of EU goods in yet. All COVID has done has brought the mess forward in timescale. Only good thing is Ruin Air cannot do regional UK routes. EasyJet are mind. They would not before Brexit. Ruin air NG out side my office now. The fishermen have been screwed and the farmers not getting their subsidies is in the news here. Well not the Fail etc.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
And you don't think those changes will adjust in a more positive manner in the 5 - 10 years that Rigga suggests?
Nobody with any sense thought that things would be perfectly improved overnight, nor that there wouldn't be obstacles to be overcome in the short term.
As has been said before, the question is too early for a meaningful answer and the last 2 years were simply another (unforeseen) complication that may delay a proper assessment of costs and benefits.
There is no benefit in general, not for us. Past Engineering s lad in London will be fine, so will all the others involved in moving others money. Not for anyone else. Rigga does audits on aeroplanes and aviation maintenance operations around them. I take his statement with a pinch of big salt as he is not an expert. Only benefit is the wicked Tories can cause real damage to the rights of us serfs now. And by God they will.

Last edited:

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
When I was at Binbrook Grimsby was the biggest fishing port in Europe. Thanks to the EU treaty negotiated by Ted Heath, local fishermen were prevented from catching in their own area while at the same time allowing European boats to take the fish.

When I was at Binbrook Grimsby was the biggest fishing port in Europe. Thanks to the EU treaty negotiated by Ted Heath, local fishermen were prevented from catching in their own area while at the same time allowing European boats to take the fish.
Alas, there was no EU then. There was the EEC and one will find the Grimsby big boats were having their nets cut by Icelandic gun boats in 1973 as the North Sea was fished out. We had a car industry, an aviation industry a shipbuilding and manufacturing capacity from raw goods to finished articles. EEC didn't destroy that, Tory policy and their members as company management did.

Last edited: