• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BFG Corner

E

expongoatbruggen

No mans land (?) outside Bruggen to describe the defunct border crossing between Bruggen and Roermond.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
For me it has to be the Rock Palace in 'arsewinkel near Gut back in the early
80's and a young 19 yr old lass called Betina who was a nanny to a local family and her friend Emi..........memories are wonderful things when you're nearing 50!

GREAT NEWS

Sorry to revive such a long dead thread but....regarding post #27

BFG Corner is saved. Despite the new ring road and motorway being put in place I can assure you that the veg market is still there and so is the junction-it may have changed shape a little but it is still there.

On a nostalgia trip at the moment and finding it a bit difficult. Lots of changes and lots of ghosts and memories to deal with.

Happy days in RAFG-poke yer Cold War we were too busy enjoying ourselves!

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Yeah, I'll be back through there this weekend to move the family back from JHQ. More tears when leaving RAFG yet again (It'll always be RAFG to me).

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
No mans land (?) outside Bruggen to describe the defunct border crossing between Bruggen and Roermond.
Did you ever go walking in the woods around there?? There's loads of WW2 trench systems, concrete bunkers, etc, etc, I can see why it was nicknamed 'No Mans Land'.

kidcock

SAC
Did you ever go walking in the woods around there?? There's loads of WW2 trench systems, concrete bunkers, etc, etc, I can see why it was nicknamed 'No Mans Land'.

Yep, I went to Cheshire Middle school and we were always messing about in the woods and stuff. I think there was somewhere called hill 60 aswell where we used to play. I'm sure there was an old canberra their which we used to dismantle, i've still got some bits of it.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Just got back!

Just got back!

Just got back from a helicopter course - three weeks in Bavaria, evenings and weekends free and paid for by the company.
Got to Munich Airport and felt the 33 degrees as I stepped out of the air conditioned buildings - it rained just three times while I was there.
A two-day celebration for the 400th birthday of an island (I'm sure it would actually be older than that - but who cares?) 8 Bands in the street ranging from Heavy Rock to the good 'ole Oom-Pah bands and C&W. All fro free and with nothing like a bad word even among the drunks!
Watched the Euro Championshiop semi-finals amongst 2000 Hermans in the streets between two Kneipen and the atmosphere was electric - especially when the local TV senders failed for about fifteen minutes.
Absolutely Brilliant!
Halb-Haenchen Und Pommes mit Mayo, Jaegerschnitzel, Grillpfannen, Gyros, WeissenBier, dunkelles, uzw.

And the wife came out for the last week too.

Mid afternoon, we sat at a mainstreet Cafe (Caffee Und Kuchen) and watched as a couple of women drove a BMW to a parking slot and ignored the parking meter - they walked over to a Cafe Table and put their handbags down ON the Table and then walked to a shop two doors away for more shopping, and left their handbags! We waited for someone to make a move to get the women back but there was no need - no-one thought to steal the bags!

As wifey says...
"why cant WE live like that?"

In UK, these women would have been persecuted for not paying the parking meter and thieves would not have been persued if they had struck.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
We'd spent 11 years there ourselves, but hadn't been back for five, and had forgotten what it was like.
The cleanliness, lack of graffiti and willingness to live a nice life felt throughout a whole town.
Even the Turks seemed to have a better life than we do in "good old Blighty"!

On the first evening walk, Mrs Rigga said "I'd forgotten it was soooo nice!".

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
I was in the Netherlands last week on a job, me and my oppo went for a meal in the local town square, had a few beers and where were the chavs? where were the ****ed up dole-ite benefit spongers? nowhere to be seen and although we weren't out that long we at no stage felt any sense of lingering menace which has sadly become commonplace here now.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Pity there are no photos of Bruggen or Wilders during the 1960s.

That picture of the Astra brought a little lump to the throat.

R

riggertoSTAB

Can't belive nobody has mentioned the Street of a Thousand Bars in MG! The Gravel Pit bar, such a good idea, cover the floor with chicken sh*t then sweep it through once a month.

The First Post in Wilders village too, best Jager Snitzell Mitt Pomme Frits in the world.

Help I am turning into a boring old fart!

S

splashdown

Can't belive nobody has mentioned the Street of a Thousand Bars in MG! The Gravel Pit bar, such a good idea, cover the floor with chicken sh*t then sweep it through once a month.

The First Post in Wilders village too, best Jager Snitzell Mitt Pomme Frits in the world.

Good god, I remember the street and a very unfortunate incident one night when we got a lock in that we didn't want!!! How fast can you drink a bottle of beer when the bloke serving has a leather cap with studs on and he's winking at you - V.V.V fast that what:raf:

Hughmac

LAC
I don't think there was anything quite like it at Wilders, though everybody knew the Schnelly I suppose. mm, Jagerschnitzel mit fritten und salat (probably the only German phrase I'll remember, apart from szwei bier bitte!).

Now, that is a blast from the past; was at Wilders from 76 to 78. Do you remember Pops & Eddies - God knows how many were wiped out trying to cross the road! What the hell was the name of the roast chicken joint - the best in the land, where you could get your 'Halb henchen mitt pom frits', or how ever it is spelt.

Worked in the old comcen before moving over to the new one (new one!) TG11. Great single-man accommodation, cut out in the woods. Yes, remember the Malchy and the Naafi, as well taking the passion wagon for the electric wrestling nights over at Wegberg with the nurses *Sigh!*

Cheers
Hughmac

Last edited:

Hughmac

LAC
Two places will forever remind me of Wildenrath:
Pop's n Eddies for its mushroom sauce and fine selection of Rheindahlen Kennel Club members and the Ponyhof whore house just over the fence from 92's dispersal.
Of course the Ponyhof was only frequented because they served beer 'til 6am!:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Ah yes, the Ponyhof.... I used to live off base in Dalheim with a WRAF, later destined to become my ex-wife... and I think you could get into camp at that end... It might have been 19's, mind.

The summer of 76 was so hot that there was a 10,000 DM fine if you were caught smoking outside, as the base was basically cut out of the woods with the accommodation being in clearings. I think when you first arrived at Wilders you ended up in block 182 until a singleman one became vacant. Around about that time the Harriers moved to Bruggen, I think it was.

Cheers
Hughmac

Hughmac

LAC

Aha! That was the name of the chicken joint! Thanks! - Hughmac

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant

In the 60s although I believe Dutch territory it was treated as No Man's Land with the official Cloggy border about 2km along the road from the German one at Elmpt, a couple of hundred yards or so along from the RAFB main gate. It was patrolled by men with firearms and dogs although one side was cut into by RAF Bruggen. There was a crash gate onto the main road from the sports field by the newer, two-storey blocks, which were visible from the road (very little of RAFB was) and in one of which I lost my cherry at an early age with an even younger Dutch cleaner. Anyone remember the 21 Club in MG with a phone on the wall by each table and the number painted on the wall above?

:pDT_Xtremez_15: