• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why doesn't anybody rate the Raf regiment?

Gunnerrock

Corporal
I actually get sick and tired of promoting/defending the Rocks, and Apes - if you know what I mean. You've even kinda admitted there are two types yourselves!

I've said it before, but when I was in I was like most "Guins", "Techies", and "Crabfats" I didn't have time for the blokes wearing 'mudguards' because they mostly let themselves down. I have taken on board what you said about them all wanting to be the best throughout their careers and keeping fit, kind of esprit de corps etc. As I said though, I was lucky, I did see them in action, get amongst them and (I HATE THIS) develop a pride in my services version of the Paras and Marines.

To this day, most ex-RAF will sit together and say "Me, ex-REGIMENT - no I HAD a trade", but then when you are surrounded by many ex Paras/Marines etc you kinda want to protect the service which you came from and defend those that were the closest to the job being spoken about. Unfortunately I have to do this quite often, I always remind people that I am not an ex-Rockape but then tell them what the "RAFR" actually do and how it fitted in with what I did and it was all to keep the planes in the air etc etc.

So to go right back to Lampy's origional question - why don't people rate the RAF Regiment! I think it is because the senior officers there don't publisize it enough amongst the Army and Navy, most GDT Rocks put forward a poor image (and these are what most of the RAF only see on a daily basis) and finally, the Government don't really use them for the task they are intended to do.

Maybe Rockapes should even wear blues, like they did when they were formed, unless they are out working? Start working with the rest of the RAF and then build relationships with the rest of HM Forces later.:pDT_Xtremez_19: :pDT_Xtremez_40: :pDT_Xtremez_26: :pDT_Xtremez_28: Then the Regt won't get disbanded through their own fault and we won't be fighting the Army in the NAFFI Bop every night, wishing the Rocks were still around..

Wannoscrew,

I take by your posts that you may have had a bit of a bad experience with the RAF Regt.

Your comment about most gunners letting themselves down is testament to this, and I like the way you speak for most "Guins", "Techies", and "Crabfats".

You spent 6 years in the RAF as a PTR/FNR and you have been out of the RAF now for 12 years. I do not think this qualifies you to speak about the present day RAF Regt.

There are many people serving in the RAF today who appreciate the RAF Regt, granted there are a few that do not. As for Lampys' original question - "why don't people rate the RAF Regiment" well it is probably because of people like you having a bit of bad experience on GDT, and tarring all the RAF Regt with the same brush.

Well, just because I do not get on with a particular section does not mean that whole trade are a bunch of to55ers.

I am glad you HAD a trade, are you using it now? – No, so fat lot of good 6 years in the RAF getting a trade did you.

I suppose you can now sit in a pub though, surrounded by Para’s and Marines telling them all your pathetic little pink painting war stories.

Happy New Year.

Out.

E

exerk

Having done a small bit of time on SH...

We had our own 'Rockery' on the Sqn and the inhabitants were all top blokes, none of this 'Me Rock,you a sh1t guin' stuff. Due to the nature of the job we got to understand what they were about and they got to understand what we were about.

GDT? Yes I met some to$$ers who didn't like us guins, but I never got to the bottom of why so I can't comment on what made them, to me at least, to$$ers.

On my GST course was a Rock who had A-levels FFS, and he wanted to do something different before going commissioned. Intelligent as they come, street-smart too, but wanting something different.

As an ex-guin I rate the Rocks because I don't think I could do their job. They're properly infantry trained and I think, educationally, they're a notch above the average pongo. Perhaps if the RAF bit was dropped from the title they would get a bit of a better press.

Rant over, listening out.

F

FoxyFed

Quality post Lampy.

If I may interject as another TG8 monkey (apologies to our regiment friends for commenting on your thread) I'd say this....

For you to have taken the trouble to comment as you did, has certainly got rid of the usual "ARRSe" interloper accusations.

You made some extremely valid points, which I'll leave for the Regiment guys themselves to reply to.

As an RAF Copper (!) if I may, I'd say this: The Regiment are an extremely professional unit who do themselves proud wherever they go. Yes I've nicked one once in 18 years! But they do the job extremely well. And 1 "nick" in 18 years shows their level of professionalism, and common sense.

They do get recruited for the SAS yes. They don't shout about it, so that may be a pretty good reason why it's not common knowledge.

Yes the Paras are the main recruiting ground for the SAS. And yes the Marines are probably second. But the good old RAF Regt are there too.

They are a damn good unit. Don't let the stupid bull**** on "ARRSe" and such like put you off. They are just as well trained. These WALT and TA guys are just jealous, as gunnerrock said.

Bear in mind this post is from an RAF Copper, supposedly the worst enemy of the RAF Regt, and it should at least give you some idea of the truth.
Don't let it put you off.

All the best.

OS

I totally agree with OS post. The RAF Regt are indeed a great bunch of lads who carry out their jobs with a great deal of professionalism, pride and expertise. Whilst I have had cause to arrest more than one that is not a slur on the Regt as a whole as there are kn*b jockeys in every trade including my own. I have never had a bad experience with the GDT staff and the majority of the time I have had a good giggle with them. Some of the Regt in NI drank in the Police Bar as the RAFP spent half their time on either the range or WHT so a, dare I say friendship, was built up. (Or could that be a tolerance!!!)
Think I might have to pop out and have a word with myself after this post, "Must not big up the Rocks, Must not big up the Rocks."

PSFbeatch

Corporal
we all give rocks ****... but i have got to say... in all the rocks ive ever met ive never met anyone i didnt like...!

i think rocks are undervalued!

An interesting thread with many diverse views......

As a humble "Guin" with several years experience under my belt, I feel I should add my respect for the RAF Regt.

Gone are the days when GDT was conducted under the guise of 'Instruction by humiliation' and as a 'screaming skull session'. Nowdays I have found them to be very 'adult' and informative courses, where the Rocks spend a lot of time trying to pass on lessons to the rest of us.

I, for one, appreciate this. Especially, in light of the places we are being sent to these days.

I'm not sure if this is the general case, but it definatley is at my home base (Near the M3, with the mighty Wokka).

As for Field Sqns, I haven't worked with them for a few years, but my underlying memory of working with them was one of 'Work hard, play hard' and I for one have no problem with that. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

To echo the view of others, I would rather have OUR OWN Regt looking after me than some unknown Army Unit. Because at the end of the day they are OUR OWN.

Rock on Boys (no pun intended) ( Well maybe a little one):pDT_Xtremez_42:

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Well, I never realised that the RAF Reg we're considered to be on a par with the Paras and Marines. I've been in 16 years (10 of them on a helicopter Sqn with it's own 'Rockery') and not one of them felt the need to tell me this unlike the other two who never shut up about how good they are.

So Lampy, here is a 'guins view about why the Rocks aren't as respected as the rest:

1) They're a fighting unit in a notoriously non-combatant force (on the ground anyway). This means that the Army tar them with the same brush as the rest of us slack arsed Crabs (fancied the military but didn't wan't to do too much heavy lifting!). Meanwhile, the rest of the RAF have a tendency to lump them in with the knuckle draggers in the Army because they wear greens and enjoy being a bit cabbagey. So they get stick from both sides.

2) The average civvy never seems to realise that there is anything to the RAF apart from fast pointy aircraft and the grow bags that chuck them round the sky. The RAF public relations bods don't help either. As far as the press are concerned all helicopters are Army and the only time I ever see anything that promotes the profile of the Rocks is on camp.

3) Despite what you read on ARRSE, professionals do the job that is expected of them but don't feel the need to bang on about it to everybody afterwards. The other thing about being a professional soldier is that they can control their agression (to a degree). In my opinion the Regt manage that a hell of a lot better than anybody in the Army and as a consequence they keep a lower profile. The Paras etc then think less of them because they don't tend to trash as many NAAFIs.

Lampy, you seem to be a reasonable bloke, you can string a sentence together, you didn't kick off (much) at the abuse in the first post and by your own admission you aren't an arrogant tosser. Sounds to me like the Regt is the best place for you, with the Marines coming a very close second.

Good luck whatever you do.

Last edited:
W

Wannoscrew

Well, I never realised that the RAF Reg we're considered to be on a par with the Paras and Marines. I've been in 16 years (10 of them on a helicopter Sqn with it's own 'Rockery') and not one of them felt the need to tell me this unlike the other two who never shut up about how good they are.

So Lampy, here is a 'guins view about why the Rocks aren't as respected as the rest:

1) They're a fighting unit in a notoriously non-combatant force (on the ground anyway). This means that the Army tar them with the same brush as the rest of us slack arsed Crabs (fancied the military but didn't wan't to do too much heavy lifting!). Meanwhile, the rest of the RAF have a tendency to lump them in with the knuckle draggers in the Army because they wear greens and enjoy being a bit cabbagey. So they get stick from both sides.

2) The average civvy never seems to realise that there is anything to the RAF apart from fast pointy aircraft and the grow bags that chuck them round the sky. The RAF public relations bods don't help either. As far as the press are concerned all helicopters are Army and the only time I ever see anything that promotes the profile of the Rocks is on camp.

3) Despite what you read on ARRSE, professionals do the job that is expected of them but don't feel the need to bang on about it to everybody afterwards. The other thing about being a professional soldier is that they can control their agression (to a degree). In my opinion the Regt manage that a hell of a lot better than anybody in the Army and as a consequence they keep a lower profile. The Paras etc then think less of them because they don't tend to trash as many NAAFIs.

Lampy, you seem to be a reasonable bloke, you can string a sentence together, you didn't kick off (much) at the abuse in the first post and by your own admission you aren't an arrogant tosser. Sounds to me like the Regt is the best place for you, with the Marines coming a very close second.

Good luck whatever you do.

Trench my old mate,

You have said exactly what I was trying to say in a number of posts. The RAF Reg are good, some ok, and a lot are mostly and predominately great at what they do - especially during these turbulent times.

When I was in I got attached to the Army and saw the RAF Reg Field Squadrons first hand - they were very good.

I also experienced what I call 'has been' GDT rocks that let themselves down and did no favours to the overall outlook on the RAF Reg as a whole by being the classic screaming skull and using absolute crap and overused humour to be noticed, then they wanted to drink with you later. I understand that things are different know and it's more to do with experience etc. They have done the job and been in situations where GDT is needed, so well done to the GDT guys

I also met the rocks that were serving at places such as Marham and part of the security squadron, on paper to look after the mushroom site with the RAFP, but in reality they were in between GDT and a 'proper' rock squadron and all had gammy legs or bad backs etc and just wanted to be posted somewhere close to home. These were the ones I mostly talk about that let them all down - NAFFI fights etc. (And NO Red-Rock, I never had personal problems with them, I was simply the D.J that had to say sorry to everyone as the Bop was finishing early again due to the rocks fighting as usual).

To end my rant, especially to those ex rocks doing security for Tesco's and talking war stories about Marham. RAF Reg are very good, I tried to say I am proud of the ones we have now, but those who have guilt and can associate themselves with what I am talking about all those years ago still want a fight.

It is a very sad example, but whenever you turn on the TV and watch the news and see another poor sole being carried off a plane in a coffin, if they are RAF then it is the RAF Reg/QCS that carry them - that makes me proud!

So to all of us that have had our time and now left, lets stop the fight, things have moved on. The RAF is obviously better than what it was, no matter what trade group or end of the bar you were at.

:pDT_Xtremez_19: :pDT_Xtremez_40: :pDT_Xtremez_03:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
It is a very sad example, but whenever you turn on the TV and watch the news and see another poor sole being carried off a plane in a coffin, if they are RAF then it is the RAF Reg/QCS that carry them - that makes me proud!

So to all of us that have had our time and now left, lets stop the fight, things have moved on. The RAF is obviously better than what it was, no matter what trade group or end of the bar you were at.
:pDT_Xtremez_19: :pDT_Xtremez_40: :pDT_Xtremez_03:
You make a good point there, it is always the rocks that carry the coffins. There are many a rock that doesn't deserve a slagging, the ones i have dealt with at both ISK and ISL are all good(even when you pull them for out of date car passes - you know who you are ;-) ) There are one or two that let them and their trade down badly but so far they are few and far between.

W

Wannoscrew

Cheers Mate

Cheers Mate

You make a good point there, it is always the rocks that carry the coffins. There are many a rock that doesn't deserve a slagging, the ones i have dealt with at both ISK and ISL are all good(even when you pull them for out of date car passes - you know who you are ;-) ) There are one or two that let them and their trade down badly but so far they are few and far between.

Thank you 'CodeMonkey',

I tried to make a point a few weeks ago about how you feel about the RAF once you have left. It never matters what trade group you were in, when you are together in civvy street and doing a job in another uniform that is nothing to do with aviation (like mine in the Home Office), you are united. You muck around amongst yourselves now and again but still have to inform people what the RAF Reg are all about. All of you will one day experience this, and when you see a coffin carried off a plane you want the smartest to do it and the RAF Reg do it VERY well. Dont forget that they carried Diana as well and we/you are the only branch of HM Forces to have a dedicated ceremonial unit that are not bandsmen, apart from the Guards!

Only today my Senior Officer (Ex pongo) tried to tell me that rockapes only do drill and man RAF guardrooms etc - so off I went again doing their P.R for them...... : ( I'm actually bored of this now so this will be my last post about the Royal Air Force Regiment.

Good luck to them all, especially to those out in the heat that get described simply as "a small Army unit" on the news, and to all of the RAF that have survived and came back because their GDT training was good - the Rockapes have played a larger part than you think!

They should still wear blues though:pDT_Xtremez_17: :pDT_Xtremez_17: :pDT_Xtremez_17: :pDT_Xtremez_17: :pDT_Xtremez_17: :pDT_Xtremez_17:

T

tommyhutch

Some people are talking like RAF Reg and Army soldiers are recruited from two different species....."oh the RAF Reg are better educated, think for themselves, more switched on, better to have as protection", its all a load of bollocks. Not all Army lads are scraped from the bottom of the same barrel as the RLC ****wits you may have met at DST Leconfield.

The RAF Reg kinda deserve the grilling they get, its not a big Army conspracy to hate on the rocks, literally everyone who goes on tour or comes into contact with them comes home with stories of these big-timing airmen dressed like Action Force who claim to be as good as the marines but only venture out to within questionable distances from the camp wire.

I dunno if all this Big 3 stuff is an urban myth started by the army or if some rocks actually stand by it, personally I've never met one who does. That being said the TV commercials with the "elite fighting force" slogan makes me think that someone is pedalling the Big 3 image, obviously for the benefit of recruitment. Line infantry units, even the Guards, just aren't fashionable these days, and it was a clever RAF PR man who thought to try and bracket the Reg with the Paras and Marines.

PR is definately an area where the Army lags behind the RAF, I dunno how but alot of people seem to think that the Regiment itself is "elite", the majority of SFSG is RAF Reg, a large proportion of the SAS came from the rocks and that II Sqn did an operational parachute jump into Sierra Leone (Ex Silkman, lol). I dunno where all this is coming from but you've gotta take your hats off to the RAF PR machine.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
A fine piece of necroposting!

Actually, your comment is a classic example of power posting.

Necroposting is when somebody resurrects a thread and has nothing at all to add to it, with a LOL etc.

TH has recently joined the forum, and has a point of view about the 'RAF PR machine' - fair enough.

Let's leave the moderating to the moderators.:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
No my good man that was Op Barras not Silkman. It involved SAS and 1 Para.

Thanks for that

The Old Chestnut of RAF Reg.v.Paras/Marines is a nonsense as far as I can see as 2 para apart (Aggressive Unit, formed to take airfields etc, behind enemy lines), the rest are AD or Field units with totally different roles. It's like trying to compare Cavalry to Artillery.

The RAF Reg Field Units are a purely defensive role (I know, I spent many years on Harriers & I must say I thought the Laarbruch Sqns were bloody good), where as the Paras/Marines are an offensive/assault role as demonstrated on Op Corporate.

Gunnerrock

Corporal
Some people are talking like RAF Reg and Army soldiers are recruited from two different species....."oh the RAF Reg are better educated, think for themselves, more switched on, better to have as protection", its all a load of bollocks. Not all Army lads are scraped from the bottom of the same barrel as the RLC ****wits you may have met at DST Leconfield.

The RAF Reg kinda deserve the grilling they get, its not a big Army conspracy to hate on the rocks, literally everyone who goes on tour or comes into contact with them comes home with stories of these big-timing airmen dressed like Action Force who claim to be as good as the marines but only venture out to within questionable distances from the camp wire.

I dunno if all this Big 3 stuff is an urban myth started by the army or if some rocks actually stand by it, personally I've never met one who does. That being said the TV commercials with the "elite fighting force" slogan makes me think that someone is pedalling the Big 3 image, obviously for the benefit of recruitment. Line infantry units, even the Guards, just aren't fashionable these days, and it was a clever RAF PR man who thought to try and bracket the Reg with the Paras and Marines.

PR is definately an area where the Army lags behind the RAF, I dunno how but alot of people seem to think that the Regiment itself is "elite", the majority of SFSG is RAF Reg, a large proportion of the SAS came from the rocks and that II Sqn did an operational parachute jump into Sierra Leone (Ex Silkman, lol). I dunno where all this is coming from but you've gotta take your hats off to the RAF PR machine.

Perhaps the RAF PR is sh1t and the RAF Regt are even better than you thought :pDT_Xtremez_28: