• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why doesn't anybody rate the Raf regiment?

W

Wannoscrew

Dear Red-rock!

Dear Red-rock!

Dear Red-Rock my old chum, :pDT_Xtremez_31:

I'm afraid I can't bite back as quickly as you would like - but here I am now :pDT_Xtremez_42: .

I think my last post/answer on this forum was a combination of what everyone said in the last two or three threads which I had read, all basically slagging off the "RAFR" (this is my way of quickly describing the Raf Regt - as you would in a text message for example). One bloke was asking about it, maybe he wanted to join, maybe he got put off, I don't know, but he initially got a lot of stick just for asking. Then everyone started putting the Regt down (as usual), comparing them to the Marines and Paras and there was even mention of the SAS etc.

My view was and still is this: The RAF Regiment are very good at what they have done, and certainly at what they do now. No, it is not only Gunners from the RAF that have passed 'selection' but others in the RAF as well, even if only one or two. Most importantly the ones I have been told about are ex Rockape Zobs and are now SAS Zobs! I just simply tried to give them credit and 'big them up' a bit, give a bit of credit to you lot.

When I was in the RAF I spent a lot of time in the northern area of the East Anglian Airforce as well as St. Athan. I did go to NI but during this my only knowledge of the RAF Reg were GDT etc and most of those guys that I met really let themselves and you guys down, especially in the bar - they were has beens!

They were mostly plus 40 with grey hairs and every night at 1800 still ran around the airfield thinking and hoping that one day they would be back on a real squadron. You can't blame me for thinking the way I do. As Norfolk is only 100 miles away from the south east and London a lot of them still fought the cause and thought they were still 18-20 year olds back in initial training at Catterick (yes I know it's Honnington now). They knew that this was the life they were resingned to and simply wanted to be as close to home as they could - it was what we all wanted really. They spoke a good fight, told a good tale, wanted to get back on the frontline, loved it when it rained - as this was REGIMENT WEATHER - but their day was done.

Then through no fault of my own I got attached to a party of Royal Engineers. They thought the "RAFR" were good. We then went on a Rapier exercise right up in the Outer Hebrides with the Rocks from a Field Sqn (I can't remember which one) and all worked together. These were the real thing! Rockapes with FFL type berets, huge blokes, muscle bound, VERY fast at runnibg and most of them were either on, or had just left II Sqn and had Para wings etc. This was the side of the RAF Reg I had'nt met before and is probably only what less than a third of the real RAF see today. I was very proud of them and still have photos. Come away from your small camps and stations, forget about the GDT guys telling war stories in the NAFFI Bop and this is the RAF Reg you will find. It's no wonder they get compared to the Marines and Paras!!!!

If only all Rockapes looked like that and conducted themselves in the same way?

Now I work with many many ex servicemen and women. The few of us that are all ex RAF, no matter what trade we were, we are now all one - ex RAF, be it Techies, Cooks, Rocks, Drivers, GD and Guardroom or even Snowdrops.

And by the way Red-Rock! During WWII there were a couple of Rock Officers stationed on Gibraltar. They got bored and went out one evening to do a bit of monkey shooting. They got seperated and decided to go it alone. One of them saw a movement up on a hill and thinking it was a monkey shot it! It was infact his fellow Officer. He didn't die but when asked at the Courts Marshall why he had done it he replied - "I saw a figure and thought it was a Rockape, so I shot it" - THAT'S WHY YOU ARE CALLED ROCKAPES!!!

GunnerP

SAC
Wannoscrew, nearly right with your tale

The official story as stated in 'Through Adversity - The History of the RAF Regiment' by Kingsley M Oliver is as follows

The term 'rockape' came into use within the RAF in the 1950s as a disparaging term for Regiment officers and airmen - who quickly adapetd it as a title of distinction, thus turning the tables on those who had intended to label them with a derogatory nickname. SInce then, a wide variety of theories have been advanced as to how and why this term originated, possibly most bizarre being an attempt to link the RAF Regt with the Rock of Gibraltar and the Barbary Apes which are maintained there by the British Army. In reality, the truth is simpler than fiction.

In November 1952, two RAF Regiment officers serving with the Aden Protectorate Levies at Dhala, inthe Western Aden Protectorate, decided to amuse themselves by going out to shoot some baboons (locally referred to as rock apes) which came down from the mountains in the cool of the evening to forage for food in the plain - and throw stones at the Levy camp. Each officer took a Service rifle and ammunition from the squadron armoury and set off on forth to look for baboons. Unwisely, they went their separate ways and in the semi-darkness one of the hunters saw a movement on a rocky outcrop some distance away. Taking careful aim, he fired and was delighted to see his target fall - but horrified when he reached the spot to find his colleague lying with a bullet wound in his chest
Flight Lieutenant Mason was still alive, although the bullet has passed within inches of his heart, and thanks to swift medical attention he survived to make a good recovery before returning to active duty several months later.

Although the incident itself did not gain much publicity a statement made at the subsequent board of inquiry did. Under questioning, the firer of the almost-fatal shot said, in mitigation of his actions, that his target had "looked just like a rock ape" in the half-light. This remark reverberated throughout the messes on RAF stations wherever members of the Regiment were serving, and it was not long before the term was in general use. But as a burly Gunner said to a penguin (the Regiment term for an RAF tradesman) in the NAAFI soon afterwards "you can call me a rockape - but make sure that you smile when you do!"

If you ever happen to read a copy of 'Through adversity' you will see a nice photo of me:pDT_Xtremez_34: (see if you can guess which one)

P

Last edited:
C

cockneyrock

And by the way Red-Rock! During WWII there were a couple of Rock Officers stationed on Gibraltar. They got bored and went out one evening to do a bit of monkey shooting. They got seperated and decided to go it alone. One of them saw a movement up on a hill and thinking it was a monkey shot it! It was infact his fellow Officer. He didn't die but when asked at the Courts Marshall why he had done it he replied - "I saw a figure and thought it was a Rockape, so I shot it" - THAT'S WHY YOU ARE CALLED ROCKAPES!!!

Just a minor correction, the above mention incident happened in Dhala, West Aden Protectorate in 1952. The 2 officers were RAF Ragiment Officers serving with the Aden Protectorate.

"Show correct lamp swinging story at Guardroom 2000hrs. Now get away you horrible little man!":pDT_Xtremez_15:

W

wgaf

Wannoscrew, nearly right with your tale

The official story as stated in 'Through Adversity - The History of the RAF Regiment' by Kingsley M Oliver is as follows

If you ever happen to read a copy of 'Through adversity' you will see a nice photo of me:pDT_Xtremez_34: (see if you can guess which one)

P

Are you the one covered in hair swinging through the trees :pDT_Xtremez_30:

GunnerP

SAC
Dont have the book with me at the moment, but If its a pic of a very handsome bloke wearing a clansman headset then thats me.

Lev

GunnerP

SAC
354px-Join_the_RAF_Regt.jpg

Red-Rock

Sergeant
Dear Red-Rock my old chum, :pDT_Xtremez_31:

I'm afraid I can't bite back as quickly as you would like - but here I am now :pDT_Xtremez_42: .

I think my last post/answer on this forum was a combination of what everyone said in the last two or three threads which I had read, all basically slagging off the "RAFR" (this is my way of quickly describing the Raf Regt - as you would in a text message for example). One bloke was asking about it, maybe he wanted to join, maybe he got put off, I don't know, but he initially got a lot of stick just for asking. Then everyone started putting the Regt down (as usual), comparing them to the Marines and Paras and there was even mention of the SAS etc.

My view was and still is this: The RAF Regiment are very good at what they have done, and certainly at what they do now. No, it is not only Gunners from the RAF that have passed 'selection' but others in the RAF as well, even if only one or two. Most importantly the ones I have been told about are ex Rockape Zobs and are now SAS Zobs! I just simply tried to give them credit and 'big them up' a bit, give a bit of credit to you lot.

When I was in the RAF I spent a lot of time in the northern area of the East Anglian Airforce as well as St. Athan. I did go to NI but during this my only knowledge of the RAF Reg were GDT etc and most of those guys that I met really let themselves and you guys down, especially in the bar - they were has beens!

They were mostly plus 40 with grey hairs and every night at 1800 still ran around the airfield thinking and hoping that one day they would be back on a real squadron. You can't blame me for thinking the way I do. As Norfolk is only 100 miles away from the south east and London a lot of them still fought the cause and thought they were still 18-20 year olds back in initial training at Catterick (yes I know it's Honnington now). They knew that this was the life they were resingned to and simply wanted to be as close to home as they could - it was what we all wanted really. They spoke a good fight, told a good tale, wanted to get back on the frontline, loved it when it rained - as this was REGIMENT WEATHER - but their day was done.

Then through no fault of my own I got attached to a party of Royal Engineers. They thought the "RAFR" were good. We then went on a Rapier exercise right up in the Outer Hebrides with the Rocks from a Field Sqn (I can't remember which one) and all worked together. These were the real thing! Rockapes with FFL type berets, huge blokes, muscle bound, VERY fast at runnibg and most of them were either on, or had just left II Sqn and had Para wings etc. This was the side of the RAF Reg I had'nt met before and is probably only what less than a third of the real RAF see today. I was very proud of them and still have photos. Come away from your small camps and stations, forget about the GDT guys telling war stories in the NAFFI Bop and this is the RAF Reg you will find. It's no wonder they get compared to the Marines and Paras!!!!

If only all Rockapes looked like that and conducted themselves in the same way?

Now I work with many many ex servicemen and women. The few of us that are all ex RAF, no matter what trade we were, we are now all one - ex RAF, be it Techies, Cooks, Rocks, Drivers, GD and Guardroom or even Snowdrops.

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you Wanno me old mucker but been a bit busy. Well as it has already been mentioned by GunnerP and cockneyrock I won't go on any further about how the nickname 'Rock Ape' came about as I think that has been covered but I will mention that yes you do get some crusty old feckers in GDT posts on some stations (generally sleepy hollow ones with only the need for a crusty SNCO) but you also get a good proportion of younger Cpls too, none of whom have been put out to pasture just yet. It is part of the Regiment ethos to be the best at what we do/did which involves being as fit as possible so even if some of these guys are in their 40's it doesn't change the fact that they are active people. You shouldn't slag a guy off for keeping his fitness up as he gets older. (some of the guins should take a leaf out of that book, fat cnuts)

Training and dets in 'the old days' were generally harder than they are now so why shouldn't the old guys swing the tilley lamp and shoot the sh1t every once in a while. These people HAVE been there and done plenty and they should be respected not ridiculed and called has beens.

I served on light armour, field, rapier and training units and most of the Rocks on those units were top blokes. You get your fair share of nobbers as with any job but they were far outweighed by the good lads. There was always a fair spattering of ex II Sqn guys on all the Sqns I have served on and they are no more professional than any other Rock I know.

I will give you one thing though and that is the fact that the vast majority of the RAF will never see the real side of the Regiment cos most of the time they are on a det. The Regiment ethos is the same whether you are Rapier or Field. A Gunner is a Gunner.

By the way just a quicky about locations. Most of the people I know in the Regiment joined so they could see the world not get posted to the base that was closest to where they were from. What is the fecking point of that.

Also thanks for trying to credit Regiment zobs getting into the SAS. The only reason you hear about them more than a regular Gunner getting in is cos there are less of them. I know quite a few guys that have served and are still serving with the SAS. You don't generally hear too much about the grunts though.

Rant over. Crack on.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

PS I fecking hate text speak. Use the correct terms. If you want to use text speak then get yourself on MSN Messenger. Double away.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Last edited:
W

Wannoscrew

Now you get what I am talking about!

Now you get what I am talking about!

I actually get sick and tired of promoting/defending the Rocks, and Apes - if you know what I mean. You've even kinda admitted there are two types yourselves!

I've said it before, but when I was in I was like most "Guins", "Techies", and "Crabfats" I didn't have time for the blokes wearing 'mudguards' because they mostly let themselves down. I have taken on board what you said about them all wanting to be the best throughout their careers and keeping fit, kind of esprit de corps etc. As I said though, I was lucky, I did see them in action, get amongst them and (I HATE THIS) develop a pride in my services version of the Paras and Marines.

To this day, most ex-RAF will sit together and say "Me, ex-REGIMENT - no I HAD a trade", but then when you are surrounded by many ex Paras/Marines etc you kinda want to protect the service which you came from and defend those that were the closest to the job being spoken about. Unfortunately I have to do this quite often, I always remind people that I am not an ex-Rockape but then tell them what the "RAFR" actually do and how it fitted in with what I did and it was all to keep the planes in the air etc etc.

So to go right back to Lampy's origional question - why don't people rate the RAF Regiment! I think it is because the senior officers there don't publisize it enough amongst the Army and Navy, most GDT Rocks put forward a poor image (and these are what most of the RAF only see on a daily basis) and finally, the Government don't really use them for the task they are intended to do.

Maybe Rockapes should even wear blues, like they did when they were formed, unless they are out working? Start working with the rest of the RAF and then build relationships with the rest of HM Forces later.:pDT_Xtremez_19: :pDT_Xtremez_40: :pDT_Xtremez_26: :pDT_Xtremez_28: Then the Regt won't get disbanded through their own fault and we won't be fighting the Army in the NAFFI Bop every night, wishing the Rocks were still around..

Red-Rock

Sergeant
I actually get sick and tired of promoting/defending the Rocks, and Apes - if you know what I mean. You've even kinda admitted there are two types yourselves!

I've said it before, but when I was in I was like most "Guins", "Techies", and "Crabfats" I didn't have time for the blokes wearing 'mudguards' because they mostly let themselves down. I have taken on board what you said about them all wanting to be the best throughout their careers and keeping fit, kind of esprit de corps etc. As I said though, I was lucky, I did see them in action, get amongst them and (I HATE THIS) develop a pride in my services version of the Paras and Marines.

To this day, most ex-RAF will sit together and say "Me, ex-REGIMENT - no I HAD a trade", but then when you are surrounded by many ex Paras/Marines etc you kinda want to protect the service which you came from and defend those that were the closest to the job being spoken about. Unfortunately I have to do this quite often, I always remind people that I am not an ex-Rockape but then tell them what the "RAFR" actually do and how it fitted in with what I did and it was all to keep the planes in the air etc etc.

So to go right back to Lampy's origional question - why don't people rate the RAF Regiment! I think it is because the senior officers there don't publisize it enough amongst the Army and Navy, most GDT Rocks put forward a poor image (and these are what most of the RAF only see on a daily basis) and finally, the Government don't really use them for the task they are intended to do.

Maybe Rockapes should even wear blues, like they did when they were formed, unless they are out working? Start working with the rest of the RAF and then build relationships with the rest of HM Forces later.:pDT_Xtremez_19: :pDT_Xtremez_40: :pDT_Xtremez_26: :pDT_Xtremez_28: Then the Regt won't get disbanded through their own fault and we won't be fighting the Army in the NAFFI Bop every night, wishing the Rocks were still around..
I'm interested to know how the Regt lads you have met had, to quote you 'let themselves down' and how you think the GDT Rocks put forward a poor image.

Curiously, why will it be the Regiments fault if they get disbanded??

By the way, Rockapes wearing blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................not while I have a hole in my arrse::p:

GunnerP

SAC
By the way, Rockapes wearing blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................no t while I have a hole in my arrse

Mind you the Lads on QCS show how to wear them properly:D

(You know, like actually ironed and that)

P

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
I'm interested to know how the Regt lads you have met had, to quote you 'let themselves down' and how you think the GDT Rocks put forward a poor image.

Curiously, why will it be the Regiments fault if they get disbanded??

By the way, Rockapes wearing blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................not while I have a hole in my arrse::p:

Right yous lot listen in i wud spane mines own spine befour i wears blues for work

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Not taking sides either way here, but I was posted to Regt Depot Catterick straight out of Clerk trg in '86. What an eye-opener for a 17 yr old, wet behind the ears, hick from the sticks. Yes, the Rocks might have seemed a fair bit different, but once you got to know them they were fine. As soon as I started playing Rugby for the Stn side, getting involved in the Naafi (Centurion Club I think) and other activities around the Unit, you were accepted. The Raf Regt only had problems with those pers that wouldn't engage with them, or take the time to get to know them or what they did for a living. I thought they were a bunch of good lads, and extremely professional.