• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What cars are classified as a hairdressers car?

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
This ones actually mine bought outright with redundancy money, ive actually put our current 47 inch tv (in the box) flat in the boot (back seats down) and i can sit in the back, not bad considering im six foot one

car.jpg

some call it a hairdressers car but i like it.

Haven't seen another rear window like it.

car2.jpg

Entropy

Sergeant
How many people would have an MX5 though? Never driven one, but heard so many people raving about them..

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Ours has been in the family since the late 90's. It was imported from Japan by the father in law before being bought by Mrs Ent. I now drive it full time due to moving kids about. It arrived in this country with lowered suspension, a sports exhaust and a a non induction air filter. All this doesn't provide any more power but does add to the experience.

As the ride is low, roof 44 inches off the floor and shakes out your fillings every time, it is however so much fun to drive as you really feel the road and the steering is a so tight that it feels like a go cart.

It red lines at 7000 revs so it goes and goes between each gear change (sounds great when you red line ne it) plus its rear wheeled driven so lots of fun around corners. Did I say it sounds great when you use the accelerator like an on/off button. All this bundled up together makes it one of those cars where you are actaully doing 30 mph but it feels a lot lot more.

Also it is really easy to fix as you basically hit it with a hammer until it is working again. Finally the gearbox is great (feels like a Lee Enfield from cadet days), as Richard Hammond said on Top Gear "if there was a top 10 of gear changes, then the MX5 would be in it".

Today I drove through Milton Keynes where there are lots of islands breaking up a series of dual carriageways with national speed limit restrictions. Really enjoyed the drive home and got home with a big smile on my face.

You can find these cars for less than a grand and insurance is quite cheap too, so you can get a lot of driving for quite a reasonable cost.

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I got a Peugeot 206 1.6 Roland Garros in 1999 after my previous car was destroyed in a collision with an 87 year old Jehovah's Witness near Downham Market.....

Behold it magnificence...and no, I was not called "Gervaise the Hairdresser" during the time that I owned it.....much...and yes, that is a real suede and leather interior...it was like a cow exploded inside it...

Car2.jpg

Car3.jpg

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I'd nominate a Peugot; that crazy thing that takes ages for its roof to fold up.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
All cabrios (soft top / hard panel top / CC)
All Peugeot
Most Porche (particularly the 911)
All the previously mentioned cars
Any car that's designated 'Spider / Spyder'
Landcruisers
the new Mini (the old ones were cool though)

The one that barely escaped the list - VW Beetle. Really, really should be classed as a hairdresser's car, but has just enough cool to avoid the list.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
If it's got a folding roof metal or fabric
Audi TT (or Aldi TT is you have the Pug Version RCZ)
New Mini's - they aren't Mini anymore
Range Rover Evoque - it's waht the hairdresser where i live cruises around in...
and of course the MX5. My neighbour in Aki bought one, it lasted about 2-3 months before he got rid of it. every time he went out to drive it there were combs and hair brushes thrown in it. There were pennies in town and used to buy loads of them and throw them out of my window into the car. Then a few others started doing the same thing :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The ultimate hairdressers car has to be the Audi TT

The ultimate barbers car would be the Subaru Justy

Old Timer Chris

Corporal
Nowt wrong with the TT providing you get the 225 Quattro

Fast enough, handles pretty well in all weathers, quality leather interior, 6 speed box, timeless looks, reliable, it doesn’t rot! and it’s a relatively economical for a car with a theoretically top speed of about 150mph and a 0 to 60 time of 6.4 secs
Hairdressers car? Maybe, but we have unashamedly run 2 x 225 MK 1 Quattro’s for the last 7 years, and we still love them! Ok so it doesn’t handle as well a Porsche, S2000, MX5 or some BMs, but it doesn’t come of the road when it’s wet either and you have still got grip in the snow.