• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Aircraft Corporation TSR-2 - Excellent Documentary

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Published on 1 Apr 2013

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right."— Sir Sydney Camm.

The British Aircraft Corporation TSR-2 was a cancelled Cold War strike and reconnaissance aircraft developed by the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) for the Royal Air Force (RAF) in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The TSR-2 was designed to penetrate a well-defended forward battle area at low altitudes and very high speeds, and then attack high-value targets in the rear with nuclear or conventional weapons. Another aspect of its combat role was to provide high-altitude, high-speed photo reconnaissance, requirements that necessitated incorporating "state-of-the-art" aviation technology that would make it the highest-performing aircraft in these roles. Only one airframe flew and test flights and weight rise during design indicated that the aircraft would be unable to meet its original stringent design specifications. The design specifications had been reduced as the results of flight testing became available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEtkrZiDDGc

G

grumpyoldb

Yep. gets full votes from me. I have it on dvd but it's downloadable from you tube for free. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

G

Gord

Similar fate as the AVRO Arrow, Mach 2 plus in the early 60's built here in Canada at about the same time. Cancelled in favour of US misslies that were never feckin' used. A pox on John Diefenbaker the PM of Canada at that time and I hope Wilson the PM of the UK at the time the TR2 was cancelled is still burning in Hell. In fact I hope they are both getting nice and toasty down there.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Read Damien Burke's "TSR2, Britains lost bomber". The most definative written publication of the aircraft. The aircraft design had many faults that would have been unacceptable in service and would have required major redesign to put right, especially for maintainers.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Read Damien Burke's "TSR2, Britains lost bomber". The most definative written publication of the aircraft. The aircraft design had many faults that would have been unacceptable in service and would have required major redesign to put right, especially for maintainers.

I'm glad you said it.

Apparently, it's like taking a dump in Buddah's open mouth.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The aircraft design had many faults that would have been unacceptable in service and would have required major redesign to put right, especially for maintainers.

Whoa, whoa, whoa......don't let the truth get in the way of the fanboys on here and other internet sites!

Kryten

Warrant Officer

The design faults were in the process of being rectified, and had the programme been pursued with a desire to succeed, rather than the Customer changing his mind every nano-second (oh, and lets not forget the stirling efforts of the CDS of the day in killing its export potential), I reckon it would have been a world beater. Have a look at the one at Cosford or Duxford and say it didn't look the part....

Unashamed TSR-2 Fan sends:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Those same criteria didn't apply to Tonkas or Buphoons then or come to that early Jags which fell out of the sky every time a Russian tuned in to the World Service?

G

Gord

Those same criteria didn't apply to Tonkas or Buphoons then or come to that early Jags which fell out of the sky every time a Russian tuned in to the World Service?

Almost all aircraft are a piece of sh!te at the get go, due mainly to too many people wanting to poke their finger in the pie. The RAF want's this out of it, the RN wants that and the Army want's summink else. Then in comes Westminster and they want a dozen more capabilities added to the list so that it will last 100 yrs and cost 1/5th of the initial spending projection. FFS if we hadn't been behind the 8 ball in WW2 the feckin' spitfire would still be in the mock up stage. For example I give you the F35. A dozen countries with big bucks tied up in that lemon so nobody wants to pull the plug but it'll never do what was originally printed on the box.

In civvy life I give you the A300/800 series and the Boeing Dreamliner, teething troubles from hell yet like the 777 they will still be going into service with umpteen airlines because Airbus and Boeing are/were willing to shell out the money.

All it takes is a bit of patience, a realistic goal and the willingness to put in the money when it's needed. I'm not that sure about the F35 though, if one government decides to pull out then it's likely gonna be used for target practice by the birds out in Arizona.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
The thing that scares me about the TSR2.. I wonder how many Main U/C changes you would have had to do in the A/C's lifespan.. Looks flimsy as hell.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Fair point. It does have the look of the "nice profile, let's not spoil it with sticky-outy things" about it.

Grand Prix fanatic..

The AST spec never mentioned shielding the autostab kit from HF did it!! :pDT_Xtremez_07:
BAE are crap at designing things that are easy to work on and are kept simple. Stress men get in the way saying you can't do that when everybody else does. I do have all the Jag specs as issued to SEPECAT by the RAF and AdA, they are well past the 30 year rule and at Kew.

Grand Prix fanatic..
Almost all aircraft are a piece of sh!te at the get go, due mainly to too many people wanting to poke their finger in the pie. The RAF want's this out of it, the RN wants that and the Army want's summink else. Then in comes Westminster and they want a dozen more capabilities added to the list so that it will last 100 yrs and cost 1/5th of the initial spending projection. FFS if we hadn't been behind the 8 ball in WW2 the feckin' spitfire would still be in the mock up stage. For example I give you the F35. A dozen countries with big bucks tied up in that lemon so nobody wants to pull the plug but it'll never do what was originally printed on the box.

In civvy life I give you the A300/800 series and the Boeing Dreamliner, teething troubles from hell yet like the 777 they will still be going into service with umpteen airlines because Airbus and Boeing are/were willing to shell out the money.

All it takes is a bit of patience, a realistic goal and the willingness to put in the money when it's needed. I'm not that sure about the F35 though, if one government decides to pull out then it's likely gonna be used for target practice by the birds out in Arizona.

A300 / 800? There is a A300-600, don't you mean A380? Dreamliner? Jury is still out on that one, it won't fail because Boeing will not allow it, until the hull starts failing because the matrix resin isn't UV resistant..:0

F35.. Another waste o space special..

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
There are lots of these on the interweb - does make you think what she would have looked like in service - would she still be in service today?

X72060-Placement-Guide---Fr.jpg

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
and I hope Wilson the PM of the UK at the time the TR2 was cancelled is still burning in Hell.
In fact I hope they are both getting nice and toasty down there.

Toasted - yes, but not 'nice'. I hope it HURTS them.

Read Damien Burke's "TSR2, Britains lost bomber". The most definitive written publication of the aircraft. The aircraft design had many faults that would have been unacceptable in service and would have required major redesign to put right, especially for maintainers.

Given that 219 is the ONLY one to have flown, it makes little sense to assume that the 'plane entering service is the same beast as a 'prototype'. The idea was to see if the damn thing would fly at all !

As to whether it would have been in service later, I think it probably would have handled 30 years.

And it was/is gorgeous.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
As a very young (and obviously very impressionable) lad the TSR2 is why I started liking aircraft.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Dreamliner? Jury is still out on that one, it won't fail because Boeing will not allow it, until the hull starts failing because the matrix resin isn't UV resistant..

Off Topic from the TSR2 but, the dreamliner matrix not UV resistant! care to expand? Off Topic