• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TG1 Retention again

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
AirTanker is CAA approval so is the same as any other operator.

By transferable I mean it's probably a good starting point for getting a decent mech job - many RAF have left in recent years to do this #retention.
Like those on VC10s and Tristars. I did know of a guy from Marshalls that got his civvy basic ticket as the Herc was a civvy type as well. But the CAA are a law to themselves

Ive lost touch with the education system now, but some colleges used to do night school course for Part 66 licences. Also, what courses do RAF Guys do for A330 and A400? Join those If you can, as part of your resettlement.

Like I said not me, I won't be working on aircraft when I leave.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
A400M get a 'company approval' from Airbus Military UK to certify as a B1/B2 or A. Achievement is reached on completion of a A400M Type course (plus an electrical foundation if you're a Mech), about 12 months worth of OJT evidence (including showing your RAF Trade Training certificates) and then finally an interview with the MAA Form 4 holders.

I suppose it's transferable and a good base to build on, but there is no licence given on A400M.
Strange as that is built to (and there is at least one) CS25 Civil Standard. Didn’t make it on to the market for the last 15 years of teething issues’ though! So the RAF has adopted the French preferred way of licences then!
Sadly I don’t think that would transfer to a Civvy Pt66 though :-( but yes, a good base to build on.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
The trouble is with this sort of incentive is that it naffs off everyone else. Don’t get me wrong, you guys need and deserve to be looked at but I guarantee this will negatively impact other professions.
Which highlights that they don't give a flying **** about any of you. I accepted that I was just a number on a bit of paper when I was in, stuck two fingers up at the 1st Retention payment as my Pension due 18 months later would pay me more in a year and have never looked back. I'm still not paid enough for what I do but I may be correcting that soon.

ERT

Corporal
The trouble is with this sort of incentive is that it naffs off everyone else. Don’t get me wrong, you guys need and deserve to be looked at but I guarantee this will negatively impact other professions.

Naa, I disagree. People will just moan about it being unfair.

FRI's have been available across all 3 services for years. More info available from the intranet.

TG1 are on Supp 3
TG1 get Techie Pay
TG1 are about to get a potential FRI

Something is wrong, they keep throwing things in the pot but its not stopping the outflow. Recruitment isnt an issue, its keeping SQEP...

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Something is wrong, they keep throwing things in the pot but its not stopping the outflow. Recruitment isnt an issue, its keeping SQEP...

The ones worth keeping know they can earn better money outside with better conditions, even without a bribe to stay in. You end up with the bang average, the underperformers, those close to a pension point with no interest or loyalty to the RAF and those who simply couldnt hack having to manage their own life in Civvy St.

ERT

Corporal
The ones worth keeping know they can earn better money outside with better conditions, even without a bribe to stay in. You end up with the bang average, the underperformers, those close to a pension point with no interest or loyalty to the RAF and those who simply couldnt hack having to manage their own life in Civvy St.

Or those waiting for the correct rank and years to make the pension worth anything. Sadly the FRI (if any) will affect tax credits & child benefit for some, therefore worth considering if taking the sum is worth it. Perhaps AVCs is the option.

For me, putting a Typhoon Sqn (4-shifts) into Cyprus would fix most things. Instead of being an enduring Op since 2013? (illuminous, then shader?). Anything east is covered by them, the UK people push forward and back fill the gaps. Families are happy, techies are happy...win-win.

Last edited:
Completely agree with ERT. How many technicians will be pushed into the higher tax threshold by these FRI's? Of those that receive child benefit, how many are aware that once you start earning over £50k a year you need to start paying it back and over £60k you have to pay all of it back via a Self Assessment tax return.

Mech Cpl to Sgt board last I checked had reached 186. Great for those who scraped through to be A candidates and top end B's but a bit of slap in the face for any who have worked hard to achieve promotion and be graded in the top 50 or so. Plugging a gap with those not ready for promotion will create more problems than it solves. Having said that with the waiting list for IMLC currently between 18 and 24 months there will be plenty of time to get experience in the rank.

A Cyprus based Typhoon Squadron is a great idea, 5 year posts with family there too would definitely improve the problems facing Typhoon force, which is getting battered with detachments at the moment.

The only answer I can think of to make the FRI fully tempting is to make it tax free. This would definitely makes those on the fence think twice.

dctyke

Corporal
Or those waiting for the correct rank and years to make the pension worth anything. Sadly the FRI (if any) will affect tax credits & child benefit for some, therefore worth considering if taking the sum is worth it. Perhaps AVCs is the option.

For me, putting a Typhoon Sqn (4-shifts) into Cyprus would fix most things. Instead of being an enduring Op since 2013? (illuminous, then shader?). Anything east is covered by them, the UK people push forward and back fill the gaps. Families are happy, techies are happy...win-win.
Having been out fifteen years I was surprised at a 4-shift system being suggested, what do the U.K. based typhoon squadrons do? During many years first line I never did anything other than two shift, even on long term ops. I know the helos had an official three shift system in Northern Ireland but never come across four?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I would see it as two flights and two shifts per flight.
Flight 1 A Shift do 4 days and B Shift do 4 nights then 4 off, after the off time they swap shift times.
Flight 2 on stand down while Flight 1 are working their shifts.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Having been out fifteen years I was surprised at a 4-shift system being suggested, what do the U.K. based typhoon squadrons do? During many years first line I never did anything other than two shift, even on long term ops. I know the helos had an official three shift system in Northern Ireland but never come across four?

In the Uk it's normal days and nights.

I think the 4 shifts are for essentially 24/7 coverage, we had 4 shifts at Lye and BZN.

dctyke

Corporal
I would see it as two flights and two shifts per flight.
Flight 1 A Shift do 4 days and B Shift do 4 nights then 4 off, after the off time they swap shift times.
Flight 2 on stand down while Flight 1 are working their shifts.

would they be allowed to put 4 days leave in commencing at the start of their shift? Not bad 12 days off for 4 days leave.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
would they be allowed to put 4 days leave in commencing at the start of their shift? Not bad 12 days off for 4 days leave.

No.

Anyone who served at Lyneham may remember the six on six off shift (3 days-12 hrs ea, 3 nights-12 hrs each) which worked well for years and years and years and years.

The simple rule was to get six off, you had to work six on. This meant that if you worked your six on, you got your six days off but if you wanted the next set of six duty days off as leave, you had to put 12 days leave in.

One presumes the same for four on four off.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant

Did this for years as a cop! 12hr shifts, 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights. 4 days leave = 12 off. Day workers would bump their gums, but it stayed this way despite testing new shift patterns and failing. Was a sad day when MPGS took over.

There's a fair few Chiefs signed off at my place, SSP now the RAF Wittering model, they've had enough of change for changes sake.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
The only answer I can think of to make the FRI fully tempting is to make it tax free. This would definitely makes those on the fence think twice.

That'll never happen as long as HMRC all have a hole in their arse as they'll be wanting their chunk of flesh and the Treasury know it.

Gilbert

LAC
No.

Anyone who served at Lyneham may remember the six on six off shift (3 days-12 hrs ea, 3 nights-12 hrs each) which worked well for years and years and years and years.

The simple rule was to get six off, you had to work six on. This meant that if you worked your six on, you got your six days off but if you wanted the next set of six duty days off as leave, you had to put 12 days leave in.

One presumes the same for four on four off.

That changed at Brize, very much enjoyed having 12 days off for 4 days leave as an SAC. Could even have another shift off too for more cheap leave.

Once you asked for a third shift off though, you were put onto Day Shift and you got 3 weeks off, for 15 days leave as standard.