• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OP ELLAMY Gong

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
From what I've experienced those that make those comparisons do so through rose-tinted glasses. The bottom line is that the UK considers the NATO medal for Libya worthy to be worn alongside the GSM and OSM so it is.

Congratulations to you and rest of those who contributed to the campaign.

For what it's worth, my UN medal was for a tour where I experienced far worse conditions and significantly more threat (being shot at while unarmed is a sobering experience) than any of my tours that led to GSM or OSM - and it doesn't even qualify towards a bar to my ACSM.

So let the mockers bump their gums - just engage a thousand yards stare and shout that they 'weren't there man'.

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Good on everyone I say, why not. Ops should be recognised IMO....

But in fairness it was always gonna happen...have you seen how few medals the typhoon force sport...:wink:

nanaman

LAC

But in fairness it was always gonna happen...have you seen how few medals the typhoon force sport...:wink:

they should be sporting the Ellamy medal very soon I'm sure. Us Tonka boys were rubbing shoulders with them :)

Climebear

Flight Sergeant

A little off topic; however, the absence of many gallantry awards for ELLAMY was noticeable on the last Op honours list.

I guess it could well be because modern air-to-surface weapons systems take aircrew further away from the threat than has been the case the past. Either that or the Typhoon and Tornado forces aren't very good at writing compelling citations ;)

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
A little off topic; however, the absence of many gallantry awards for ELLAMY was noticeable on the last Op honours list.

The nature of the ELLAMY Op meant that very few people were actually in a position where gallantry needed to be demonstrated, the same could be said for most of the 15 years we were in Bosnia or the 12 years between the Gulf Wars. That said, there were quite a few OBEs and the like in this year's birthday honours list which were related to ELLAMY and some other awards (mostly commendations of various levels) were made in an Op honours list which came out last Oct/Nov.

Personally, I'm a little annoyed! Having come to the conclusion that I wouldn't get the ELLAMY medal I put the rest of mine into the tailor. Now it seems I'm going to have to pay out again! Seriously, ELLAMY represented a hell of a lot of rigour for most of the people involved, even if the risk was not particularly high.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
The nature of the ELLAMY Op meant that very few people were actually in a position where gallantry needed to be demonstrated, the same could be said for most of the 15 years we were in Bosnia or the 12 years between the Gulf Wars. That said, there were quite a few OBEs and the like in this year's birthday honours list which were related to ELLAMY and some other awards (mostly commendations of various levels) were made in an Op honours list which came out last Oct/Nov.

Personally, I'm a little annoyed! Having come to the conclusion that I wouldn't get the ELLAMY medal I put the rest of mine into the tailor. Now it seems I'm going to have to pay out again! Seriously, ELLAMY represented a hell of a lot of rigour for most of the people involved, even if the risk was not particularly high.

Op related OBEs in the Birthday honours list - poor show. That's the whole reason we have 2 separate Op honours lists.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
There was as ever a lot of hard work going on to support these campaigns, Marham launched its fair share of missions to Libya, and got sod all for their efforts. what is worthless in the eyes of one, was hard earned in the eyes of another.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
There was as ever a lot of hard work going on to support these campaigns, Marham launched its fair share of missions to Libya, and got sod all for their efforts. what is worthless in the eyes of one, was hard earned in the eyes of another.

The object of giving medals, stars and ribbons is to give pride and pleasure to those who have deserved them. At the same time a distinction is something which everybody does not possess. If all have it, it is of less value. There must, therefore, be heart-burnings and disappointments on the borderline. A medal glitters, but it also casts a shadow. The task of drawing up regulations for such awards is one which does not admit of a perfect solution. It is not possible to satisfy everybody without running the risk of satisfying nobody. All that is possible is to give the greatest satisfaction to the greatest number and to hurt the feelings of the fewest.

Winston Churchill – 22 March 1944

'twas ever thus. The line is drawn and some fall on the wrong side. Just as the ground trades at Marham miss out on the NATO so those who work hard to generate air missions over Afghanistan from 901 and 902 EAWs miss out on the OSM.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
twas hard at Marham, terribly inconvenienced for weeks, some days it was blues the next it was greens and a 2 can rule, didnt know if we were coming or going.

airframe doctor

Corporal
Another pointless piece of tin. In a few years people will be strutting around, looking down their noses at others with fewer medals. In reality, for the vast majority of those not flying into harm's way, it is nothing more than a 'staying in hotels and eating pizza' gong. To add to the other turning up medals. But I suppose some people will alwyas get a hard on by them, heaven knows why???

Oh deary, deary me......a bad case of what seems like medal envy!!!
Result..............:pDT_Xtremez_31::pDT_Xtremez_31::pDT_Xtremez_31:

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
twas hard at Marham, terribly inconvenienced for weeks, some days it was blues the next it was greens and a 2 can rule, didnt know if we were coming or going.

Off Topic (completely)

Why in 'greens'? Was there some sort of unique threat to Marham that required its personnel to be camouflaged?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Harry staish thought it would be a clever idea to punish the whole camp and put us all on war footing everytime one of the sqn's launched for libya. It was great fun coming back off leave to realise your the only one in blues that day.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Harry staish thought it would be a clever idea to punish the whole camp and put us all on war footing everytime one of the sqn's launched for libya. It was great fun coming back off leave to realise your the only one in blues that day.

Wow our whole Service (less those in the Middle East and Far East) managed to undertake a war footing in blues from 1939 to 1945.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Wow our whole Service (less those in the Middle East and Far East) managed to undertake a war footing in blues from 1939 to 1945.

Wouldnt mind it in slightest, but week after week of constantly been changed from blues to greens wore a bit thin, it should have either been left alone or done till the end.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Wouldnt mind it in slightest, but week after week of constantly been changed from blues to greens wore a bit thin, it should have either been left alone or done till the end.

I found it far more annoying only being able to purchase two beers in the bowl!!... FFS they were drinking more than that in Italy!

nanaman

LAC
I found it far more annoying only being able to purchase two beers in the bowl!!... FFS they were drinking more than that in Italy!

Bless. Should have come out with us ! Although I would have loved to drink two cans a day whilst sat on my sofa watching TV, surrounded by my family.

Back to topic, do we have a DIN pointer yet ? Clothing stores at a secret norfolk fast jet unit are not taking No1's for ribbons till they see it.

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
Bless. Should have come out with us ! Although I would have loved to drink two cans a day whilst sat on my sofa watching TV, surrounded by my family.

Back to topic, do we have a DIN pointer yet ? Clothing stores at a secret norfolk fast jet unit are not taking No1's for ribbons till they see it.

Oh it sounds terrible. Aww away from home. I'm welling up. You deserve a pointless medal. Oh you're getting one. Get to afghan you no mark bellend

nanaman

LAC
No1 Mark1 Bellend. That what you mean ?

I have the medal already, I just don't know when I can put it on my No1's. Don't understand your point there. Afghan ? Why do I have to go to Afghan ?

Last edited:

sulky

SAC
update on mine, sent an email to my old sqn asking what the situation is and the admin person deleted before reading it. Anyone got a ref for the din as i cant find it