• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OP ELLAMY Gong

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Now that NATO have taken over, think there will be a NATO medal for it?

Even if NATO do issue one, there is no guarantee that the UK will approve it to be worn on uniforms. To gain approval it would need to meet the same levels of 'risk and rigour' that should be met for a UK medal. These have been tightened in the last 10years or so. Hence why those in the Gulf don't get the OSM(Afghanistan) unlike their predecessors who gained GSM(Air Ops Iraq). Based on what I have seen on recent ops where EU medals awarded could not be worn, my guess (and it is a guess) would be that, if a medal is awarded, it would be restricted to those who either fly in Libyan airspace or sail in Libyan territorial waters. (unless life in Italy or Cyprus suddenly gets significantly riskier or more rigorous.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Now that NATO have taken over, think there will be a NATO medal for it?

Typical TCW question, normally followed by 'Are we the first sqn to do this?'.

I was on OP DETERRENCE in 03, closer to Iraq than most coalition & had to suit & boot a couple of times due to spurious skud launches.

Once the dust had settled there was a brief mention of medals as it was the first time NATO had acted on Article 4 on behalf of Turkey. Not that it bothers me, but typical NATO management meant (if there was one) the troops that were there before it kicked off & after it was done didnt see one.

All we wanted to do was get home, see the family & get some calories back inside us after having to eat Turkish conscript food for the last couple of months.

Last edited:
C

CC

There is talk of a medal, but the criteria certainly hasn't been sorted. I think the days of getting a UK medal (GSM Air Ops Iraq) for spending 4 months in Incirlik or a NATO medal for 3 months in Italy, drinking red wine, are well and truly behind us.

That said, I think aircrew and the RN will get something for actually operating in/over Libyan territory.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
A guy I used to work with was on a pizza and red wine trip and got the chance to come home 2 weeks early. He was told that if he stayed the 2 weeks he would qualify for the medal. He asked if the medal was the same as the ones that the guys on the ground across the water were getting and was told yes. He said send me home 2 weeks early, you can keep the medal. Honourable thing to do IMO.

MTMAD

SAC
A guy I used to work with was on a pizza and red wine trip and got the chance to come home 2 weeks early. He was told that if he stayed the 2 weeks he would qualify for the medal. He asked if the medal was the same as the ones that the guys on the ground across the water were getting and was told yes. He said send me home 2 weeks early, you can keep the medal. Honourable thing to do IMO.
What and turned down two weeks extra rates!! Honourable?

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Apparently, the reds are getting a medal for op ellamy because they where in Cyprus when it kicked off.

That's not even funny. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

If a gong is struck, I would say that deployed personnel have done more to earn it than many other medals which have been issued over the years. I'm thinking of my 4 months 'not getting skin cancer' medal and my 4 months 'drinking slip-in-a-ditch without going blind' medal in particular. The risk for those on the ground in Italy and Cyprus is negligible, admittedly, but the rigour is very real.

I also hope the powers that be reconsider the decision to not pay the Operational Allowance to ELLAMY crews, since the risk they face while on task is significantly higher than their oppos on HERRICK.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
What has the RAF come to?

10 days on continual holiday in Italy - and they want a COMBAT medal?!?

That's not even funny. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

I also hope the powers that be reconsider the decision to not pay the Operational Allowance to ELLAMY crews, since the risk they face while on task is significantly higher than their oppos on HERRICK.

You are having a laugh. Having done Ellamy, Herrick and another one in Afghan you really need to think about your comments!! Herc 2 into Pizza location 1 was nothing like wandering about in Afghan in the dark outside the wire......................................

Are the crews in continual danger from groung to air munitions, possibly? and when resting from ground to ground rockets, I doub't it!!

Gongs come to those who don't look for them! Op allowance is for those who are in continual danger, not from liver failure or sleep deprivation!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Op allowance is for those who are in continual danger, not from liver failure or sleep deprivation!

Which is why I think it should be paid to the crews for the days they fly, just as it used to be paid to the GR4 crews for the days they were over Iraq but not the days they were sunning themselves in the Deid. Sounded fair enough to me.

Which is why I think it should be paid to the crews for the days they fly, just as it used to be paid to the GR4 crews for the days they were over Iraq but not the days they were sunning themselves in the Deid. Sounded fair enough to me.

The word continual should be read as "24 Hrs a day" and not a long day in the air followed by a stay in a hotel....................... Move on, the big pay days of the past have gone although they were very good!

A

Avery Hardoll

The word continual should be read as "24 Hrs a day" and not a long day in the air followed by a stay in a hotel....................... Move on, the big pay days of the past have gone although they were very good!

Lobster thermador at the Bahrain marina Gulf War 1. Happy days.