• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OP ELLAMY Gong

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Royal Air Force personnel from IX (Bomber) Squadron, based at RAF Marham in Norfolk, have become the first to receive medals for their part in the NATO-led Libya operation last year.
RAF personnel from IX (Bomber) Squadron display their Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR medals in front of a Second World War Lancaster bomber at RAF Marham
The airmen were presented with NATO's Non-Article 5 Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR medals. The Queen graciously approved the wearing of the NATO-issued medal by personnel from all Services who had taken part in the Libya operation. IX (Bomber) Squadron were the first RAF fast jet squadron to participate in Operation ELLAMY (the UK's name for its contribution to UNIFIED PROTECTOR).

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/RafPersonnelFirstToReceiveOperationUnifiedProtectorMedals.htm

So did XI use the Lancaster on this op then, as I'm failing to see the link, considering the Sqn never operated them...

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Royal Air Force personnel from IX (Bomber) Squadron, based at RAF Marham in Norfolk, have become the first to receive medals for their part in the NATO-led Libya operation last year.
RAF personnel from IX (Bomber) Squadron display their Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR medals in front of a Second World War Lancaster bomber at RAF Marham... snip ...

as I'm failing to see the link, considering the Sqn never operated them...
Yes they did.

7 Aug 42 they changed from Wellington to Lancaster and on 13 Jul 46 they changed from Lancaster to Lincoln.

nanaman

LAC
RAF personnel from IX (Bomber) Squadron display their Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR medals in front of a Second World War Lancaster bomber at RAF Marham
The airmen were presented with NATO's Non-Article 5 Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR medals. The Queen graciously approved the wearing of the NATO-issued medal by personnel from all Services who had taken part in the Libya operation. IX (Bomber) Squadron were the first RAF fast jet squadron to participate in Operation ELLAMY (the UK's name for its contribution to UNIFIED PROTECTOR).

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...tToReceiveOperationUnifiedProtectorMedals.htm

So did XI use the Lancaster on this op then, as I'm failing to see the link, considering the Sqn never operated them...

And it was all part of the reunion weekend..a yearly Lanc display followed by a **** up in the mess.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...tToReceiveOperationUnifiedProtectorMedals.htm

Problems with your numerals FOMZ? :)

Kim Wipe

Corporal
So they were given medals when flying from Marham and didn't actually deploy? I may be in with a chance then lol

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
No, read the criteria, IX(B) were detached to italy. The only folk at Marham to get a gong would be aircrew who qualified by flying over Libya.

OP Ellamy Medal

OP Ellamy Medal

After some bi-service chat in the tea bar about Medals it came to light that some people have been a little overlooked when it comes to the OP Ellamy medal.

In the chat where a :-

Navy Writer who was working in Naples Italy during Ellamy and was awarded the medal
Navy golly who was working around Benghazi during Ellamy and was awarded the medal
RAF Techie who was working at Marham during Ellamy and was awarded the medal
and
2 RAF Techies who write the Mission Data for the Aircraft (Tornado and Chinnook), mission data that accoring to them 'Without the aircraft would not have flown and Ellamy would not have happened'

Should they have gotten a medal? Even some kind of support medal? The DIN is very explicit in the criteria, but working in the AWC doesnt fall into it.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
After some bi-service chat in the tea bar about Medals it came to light that some people have been a little overlooked when it comes to the OP Ellamy medal.

In the chat where a :-

Navy Writer who was working in Naples Italy during Ellamy and was awarded the medal
Navy golly who was working around Benghazi during Ellamy and was awarded the medal
RAF Techie who was working at Marham during Ellamy and was awarded the medal
and
2 RAF Techies who write the Mission Data for the Aircraft (Tornado and Chinnook), mission data that accoring to them 'Without the aircraft would not have flown and Ellamy would not have happened'

Should they have gotten a medal? Even some kind of support medal? The DIN is very explicit in the criteria, but working in the AWC doesnt fall into it.

I received my GW1 medal in Cyprus on a Deck Chair tour. But I know the job I was doing was very much in support of operations and feel I was very much a part of it, so wear it with pride..

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
No techie from Marham received the medal 'working at marham' he would have had to be in Italy, only the Aircrew who flew from Marham 'over Libya' got a medal.

Shinyscot

Corporal
No techie from Marham received the medal 'working at marham' he would have had to be in Italy, only the Aircrew who flew from Marham 'over Libya' got a medal.
I know of at least one individual who has the Ellamy gong without leaving Marham

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Webbo

Sergeant
I know of at least one individual who has the Ellamy gong without leaving Marham

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

hhhhhmmmmmmmmm, well after working every shift from Marham covering OP Ellamy, launching 24/7, I for one would love to know who, what trade and how someone got awarded a medal and no others did, as I believe the request was turned down to award medals to Marham personnel. I standby to be corrected.

kevster

LAC
hhhhhmmmmmmmmm, well after working every shift from Marham covering OP Ellamy, launching 24/7, I for one would love to know who, what trade and how someone got awarded a medal and no others did, as I believe the request was turned down to award medals to Marham personnel. I standby to be corrected.

I believe some people did get a medal at Marham. But that wasn't for covering Op ELLAMY, it was for working every shift with you. They probably got PTSD too.

Nearly home time, mate.