• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NI Increases

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
You have given some great advice to which i too have benefited from. But it does not mean that everything you say will be the opinion of everyone else too.

I get what apple was trying to say, he just needed to put it more eloquently instead of going from comfortable armchair position straight to full on outrage bus with you. ;)

This isn't just one change, it is a whole series of changes and all of which seem to be taking money from us in one shape or another - coupled with minimal pay rises over the last few years and for the foreseeable future, it is starting to grate a little.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There are two sides to this fence here and it's difficult to see both sides from the service position. MWD is one of life's good guys who offers solid advice and now has that dual view and believe me when I say that [from my experience] the majority of civvy people on the non-service side of the fence whilst admitting fleeting admiration for what serving types do lack the depth of belief that the preferential benefits such as cheaper housing et al you get are warranted or needed...it's an understanding thing on the whole but when asked at my current location where only 2 out of my team of 20 have served (1 being me) what service benefits are like, after a few minutes of listing what still remains they get a bit irked...

It's clear to me that servicemen are being positioned by civil servants and the exchequer to align with 'Joe T Civvy-Family' where you'll basically pay what they pay with the exception of pension contributions and work clothing...do I think it's right? Of course not but unless you are perpetually on the telly fighting wars and covered in dust then this way of thinking will perpetuate...

Mutty, an apology

Mutty, an apology

Meet me half way. You have indeed given out some blinding advice and that sort of experience is sadly diminishing with people promoted too early.
I've had 2 people in this week in a right state. Bills to pay, but an utter feeling of worthlessness thanks to NEM, and that was before the DIN/IBN broke the news of NI to them. What they now need is the letter through their door next month about Qtr rentals going up dramatically whilst they are serving somewhere they don't really want to settle down. Despair is a word I'm loathed to use, but that's where it seemed they were. Pensions trap.

I know we've lost these guys now, they are logical and educated people that are more than capable of doing well outside. Mate, empathy is needed now, not someone appearing to scoff at what little they have left. Most guys are out in harms way every 18-24 months now, so if a civvy wants to bleat about what few perks they get, let the civvy join the Reserves/ TA and go and earn them for themselves.

But, my earlier post was out of line.....

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Meet me half way. You have indeed given out some blinding advice and that sort of experience is sadly diminishing with people promoted too early.
I've had 2 people in this week in a right state. Bills to pay, but an utter feeling of worthlessness thanks to NEM, and that was before the DIN/IBN broke the news of NI to them. What they now need is the letter through their door next month about Qtr rentals going up dramatically whilst they are serving somewhere they don't really want to settle down. Despair is a word I'm loathed to use, but that's where it seemed they were. Pensions trap.

I know we've lost these guys now, they are logical and educated people that are more than capable of doing well outside. Mate, empathy is needed now, not someone appearing to scoff at what little they have left. Most guys are out in harms way every 18-24 months now, so if a civvy wants to bleat about what few perks they get, let the civvy join the Reserves/ TA and go and earn them for themselves.

Respect is due to you...and empathy because as a leader you are being backed into the corner that leads you to advising those good guys under you that an increasingly viable option is one that doesn't involve wearing the light blue...

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant

Best post I've read in a long time... Unfortunately

This message was sent using my thumb.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
If I had any more than the 3yrs I have left, I'd have banged my PVR in this week. For me, NEM payscales are a nonsense, the letter from an Air Cdre telling the Armourers to just deal with it, and that we'll get proper representation on the next review, and now the NI increases are what's tipping me over the edge.

The military is changing, and I've decided I can no longer stand the changes, so I'm leaving at 22yrs.

Sadly, I'm struggling to give reasons to the 2 SACs who work under me reasons why they should stay in, and work for promotion. 1 is already 95% sure he's PVRing when he returns from OOA, the other is clear he's leaving at his 12yr point at the latest, assuming nothing turns up in the meantime.

Maybe we have been cosseted with reduced NI, cheap housing and inflated pay for too long (although I've never lined in Quarters), and I'm not saying that at times it hasn't been deserved, but now that dying Soldiers aren't daily headlines, the public will soon forget, and there'll be further cuts to manpower/ wages /equipment meaning there'll be more to be done with less people, for lower wages/ pensions, at least until the entirety of 2nd line support is civilianised.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If I had any more than the 3yrs I have left, I'd have banged my PVR in this week. For me, NEM payscales are a nonsense, the letter from an Air Cdre telling the Armourers to just deal with it, and that we'll get proper representation on the next review, and now the NI increases are what's tipping me over the edge.

The military is changing, and I've decided I can no longer stand the changes, so I'm leaving at 22yrs.

Sadly, I'm struggling to give reasons to the 2 SACs who work under me reasons why they should stay in, and work for promotion. 1 is already 95% sure he's PVRing when he returns from OOA, the other is clear he's leaving at his 12yr point at the latest, assuming nothing turns up in the meantime.

Maybe we have been cosseted with reduced NI, cheap housing and inflated pay for too long (although I've never lined in Quarters), and I'm not saying that at times it hasn't been deserved, but now that dying Soldiers aren't daily headlines, the public will soon forget, and there'll be further cuts to manpower/ wages /equipment meaning there'll be more to be done with less people, for lower wages/ pensions, at least until the entirety of 2nd line support is civilianised.

It's always been like this. When I joined in 73 I had people moaning about wages and conditions of service. They left and the new blood carried on. When I left I was moaning about wages and conditions of service etc. The thing is all the new lads who will join up and take your lads places will know no better.

I understand how frustrated they must feel, it's the same out in civvy land.

Molar Mob

KOS
People serving now have my complete sympathy. They seem to be shafting you from every direction.

However, when I joined in 1965 we had free accommodation, free food, decent LOA so that British Servicemen and women were paid more than the local civilians. All that went in the 90s I believe so some ex service have gone through something similar maybe not as drastic. One thing I believe they used to do when the pay review body sat was reduce the salary to take into consideration pensions, I think it was called the original X Factor. Also everybody who was not on a pensionable engagement got a small pension when they reached the age of 60.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
People serving now have my complete sympathy. They seem to be shafting you from every direction.

However, when I joined in 1965 we had free accommodation, free food, decent LOA so that British Servicemen and women were paid more than the local civilians. All that went in the 90s I believe so some ex service have gone through something similar maybe not as drastic. One thing I believe they used to do when the pay review body sat was reduce the salary to take into consideration pensions, I think it was called the original X Factor. Also everybody who was not on a pensionable engagement got a small pension when they reached the age of 60.

When I joined in 1971, there was still a lot of grizzling going on about the introduction of the Military Salary in April 1970, singlie's and scaley's rates of pay, accomodation & food charges, etc.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT

When the AFPRB make recommendations to government on service pay, their considerations do include an adjustment (abatement factor) which takes account of the value of the pension scheme. X Factor is the part of Service pay which takes account of things like separation, danger etc,.

In 1965 you would have had to serve 22yrs from age of 18 for Other Ranks or16 yrs from age 21 as an officer to get a pension. If you left before those points there was no pension - It was not until 1975 that the rule change to introduce pensions for these people (these are the pensions you mention that paid out at age 60). MOD have over 5K of these preserved pensions which people have yet to claim. Individually these pensions may not be huge but they could make a real difference to some.

Molar Mob

KOS
Vauxhall,

Many thanks for putting me right. A couple of years ago my wife who joined the PMRAFNS in 1972 and left in 1977 on marriage asked about the 60 year old pension but she was told she did not qualify. In those days collocation was rare.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
Vauxhall,

Many thanks for putting me right. A couple of years ago my wife who joined the PMRAFNS in 1972 and left in 1977 on marriage asked about the 60 year old pension but she was told she did not qualify. In those days collocation was rare.
In those days she would have had to given over 5 years of reckonable service from age 18 as an OR or from age 21 as an officer to qualify. The dates you give look as if she might nearly have made it, but not quite.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If I could keep my employee and employer NI, about 26%, I could pay for very good private health care and save for a good pension.