• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm more than happy to switch to an electric car - just as soon as:

1. They cost the same as a petrol car.
2. You can get 400+ miles on a full charge.
3. Re-charging points are as plentiful as petrol stations.
4. The time spent re-charging is broadly comparable with the time spent refuelling.

I'm prepared to compromise on (4) if the cost of fully re-charging was less than a tenner, instead of the £60 it costs me now. But I'm guessing the Govt tax on electric charging points will be made similar to petrol levels, as there's no way on earth they are going to sacrifice that revenue.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
1. Economies of scale could make them cheaper, they're a lot less complicated than petrol cars.
2. How often do you drive 400 miles? Most people you're talking never, others a couple of times a year.
3. If you've got a 200 mile range or more and can recharge at home why would you go to a electric station.
4. You can quick charge modern motors to about 50% in about the time it takes to have a truck stop meal, and a couple of pints.

For me it's resale values that are crucial, this will be linked to cost of batteries and their longevity, if your 6 year old car needs a replacement battery that costs £3000 then there won't be much left over for you.

Fomz raises a valid point, what's going to get taxed to replace the revenue, all this green tax BS just won't wash it when we are driving non polluting, at the point of use, motors. Pretty certain all those years of excessive taxation of the motorist won't be taken into account when they introduce tolls or some form of pay per mile linked to gps or such like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unruly1986

Sergeant
Bring it on, I can realistically envisage that our next car will be electric - perhaps a BMW i3. I would even consider handing the 3 series off to the wife and driving it myself.

I think that for the majority of people who buy on PCP/lease, the next car they purchase could be their last. With automation coming on in leaps and bounds I don't think that we will necessarily own a car, after all a PCP is a glorified rental. I can see a monthly payment buying you access to a service where you order transport off your mobile phone and it turns up outside your house/workplace ala Uber.

The future of work itself is also up in the air; many people in the service sector could be working from home in 10 years. Less need for a car to commute.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As this been thought through properly. Where's the extra capacity on the national grid going to come from. in winter it operates at 100%..

Could a normal house take recharging a 2 car family.

What about blocks of flats with maybe up to 100 to 200 cars.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Has this been thought through properly.

Of course it has - the Tories would never announce things without properly thinking them through, looking at all potential pitfalls, and costing the whole life project, unlike the nasty lefties who would have just announced it and hoped they weren't in power come the day of reckoning.

Eh Busby....

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My 10 year old son and I were driving down to Cornwall last year chatting about 'stuff' and we got onto electric cars via a question from him about what car I fancied next. I said that I would like to be able to go greener but it wasn't feasible due to the distance they go on a charge and the time it takes to charge. I explained how it works and he said "Why don't they just make all the batteries the same size and shape then you pull into a garage and swap your empty one for a full one??" (and they put your old one on charge for the next punter)

It struck me that was a fecking good solution....why not?

Clever lad. I read a report by a Cambridge Prof' a few years ago which recommended the same idea as a solution to speed of charging and, crucially, as a means to accumulate over capacity and feed back into the grid during periods of high demand. Service stations becoming dispersed energy accumulators able to provide vast amounts of energy at a moments notice.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Its a milestone. You need one for industry to shake itself out of its fossil fuel mode and into seriously thinking about how they are going to provide this service.

This is how it should work...It should be driven by an initial milestone then industry take over to develop the right technology to make that milestone..their drivers being market share/domination and profit. Nobody in any of the Major parties is SQEP enough to design the things but they know/are guilted into taking the right ecological stance for our continued existence on this planet.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Of course it has - the Tories would never announce things without properly thinking them through, looking at all potential pitfalls, and costing the whole life project, unlike the nasty lefties who would have just announced it and hoped they weren't in power come the day of reckoning.

Eh Busby....

A well thought out policy that just happens to take effect in 23 years time, at the same time they cancel the electrification of some rail lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
A well thought out policy that just happens to take effect in 23 years time, at the same time they cancel the electrification of some rail lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This from a right wing paper
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...cars-banned-uk-roads-2040-government-unveils/

And another even more right wing
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lear-power-stations-needed-electric-cars.html

To balance it a left wing paper

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...an-electric-cars-is-there-enough-electricity-

So as it really been well thought out.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Quite a few assumptions in all though figures, constant demand, no change in behaviours, no improvement in transmission losses, no improvements in the efficiency of charging nor of power usage, drop off in use of personal transportation, greater urbanisation.

Reduce, reuse, recycle and all that.

10 years ago we were pushing buttons on Nokias whilst being disturbed by a crazy frog, who knows what type of environment we'll be living in by 2040

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Answer this we are at 100% capacity at peak times and more so during winter. Where is this new energy going to come from. In

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Answer this we are at 100% capacity at peak times and more so during winter. Where is this new energy going to come from. In

The new overly expensive nuclear power stations financed by the Chinese after Cameron sucked them off and lfelched them and said they could bend the UK public over and fist them dry over the stupily high energy prices he agreed on...

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The new overly expensive nuclear power stations financed by the Chinese after Cameron sucked them off and lfelched them and said they could bend the UK public over and fist them dry over the stupily high energy prices he agreed on...
Aren't they just replacing the ones we've decommissioned and to make up the capacity we need now, not for 2040

icarus

LAC
I've just bought a new diesel on a 4 year PCP, would have thought twice and maybe gone for petrol if I'd known earlier with the new rules coming in 3 years time.

Just wondering if the new rules you refer to relate to the upcoming Ultra Low Emission Zones (ULEZ), following on from the present Low Emission Zones. Although a little vague, from an article I read a few weeks ago, Sadiq Khan the London Mayor hopes to extend in a few years’ time the current London Emission Zone out from its present central London boundaries right out to the North and South circular roads. Only diesel cars with a Euro 6 rating and petrol to Euro 5 standard will be allowed to enter without paying a surcharge, he then hopes to extend it out to every London Borough, basically every road within the M25. Maybe other cities will also take on similar restrictions to encounter pollution levels.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Scrap HS2 billions will be freed up.

I remember a senior executive from BP saying that if we had spent the money from GW2 (and I am guessing GW1) on R&D we'd now be shipping millions of barrels of oil from the deep-sea around the Falklands. Pity about the political angle.

Just like GW2, HS2 is/was 100% political...

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Being a fan of all things with big displacements and blowers you'd think I'd be against this Electric car revolution, not so. I blagged a test drive not so long ago in a Tesla 100d and it's got me very interested....pity the payments would have been over $1000 if I had signed! That said, as it becomes more prevalent and supported, the costs should drop.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Mrs 'Fuse asked a pertinent question today; fortunately I was sitting down at the time, but she asked me 'What about all the high octane motor sports, F1, rally cars, etc. Will they have to convert to electric drives too?' Just imagine the scene at Silverstone for the British Grand Prix, ... , swoosh, silence, swoosh, silence, ... . :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Another politician Pipe dream. The endless windmills will never cover the demand.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Icarus

the roads I've read about that I use include the M32 and somewhere in Middlesbrough, probably the Tees flyover on the A19

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
A630 Sheffield Parkway between the M1 Junction 33 and Ponds Forge in Sheffield City Centre.