• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

fourteen2two

Corporal
Motorists have votes,lots of jobs in motor and related industries.
If these are threatened the slf serving politicos will change their tune if their positions are threatened!
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Nobody seems to have mentioned the availability of the necessary 'rare earths' needed for efficient motor or battery construction. It's not as if Lithium or nickel are liberally lying about, is it ?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I went into a Tesla showroom today and was looking at some bumpf for the Tesla 3. At a projected £35K... it may wll be worth a punt when it comes fully on sale in the UK in 2019.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Agree Ninja. The eat less and move more concept really does need adopting. There are some real bloaters around.

Ah, but then there'll be particulate matter from shoe leather being used up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

briggfairy

Sergeant
Mrs 'Fuse asked a pertinent question today; fortunately I was sitting down at the time, but she asked me 'What about all the high octane motor sports, F1, rally cars, etc. Will they have to convert to electric drives too?' Just imagine the scene at Silverstone for the British Grand Prix, ... , swoosh, silence, swoosh, silence, ... . :pDT_Xtremez_42:

This is already the case with Formula E, which next year will be the first motorsport to have 6 major manufacturers competing in it, many have sacrificed their traditional activities to do so.

F1 has had a Hybrid element for a few years now with the current engines being phenomenally efficient whilst still producing over 1000 HP, if the technology behind it and the efficiency's behind it were highlighted more to the viewers then maybe the lower noise would be less of an issue.

The one series that I think has got it right is WEC (le mans cars),the P1 prototypes have petrol engines producing 500 hp (approx) driving the rear wheels however the recovered energy from braking is stored and fed to motors mounted in each wheel, in total the electric part of the power trains can generate more power than the traditional petrol side.

For me rather than going full electric straight away we need to make the cars much more efficient so that we get as much out of whatever fuel they are running on as possible.

the main thing that really needs to be looked at is why so many people are on the road, we are still a traditional country in terms of driving to work to sit at a desk then driving home. why can't we just work from home as much as possible? I often find myself driving up and down the country for an hours meeting, why? why not skype?