• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

Kryten

Warrant Officer
The news this morning is that new diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government is set to announce. (LINKY)

However, the government plan will not contain a vehicle scrappage scheme. And it won't mandate councils to charge dirty vehicles to enter cities.

So what do you think? Is it a good idea long overdue? Or is it too little too late? Will it affect your car buying choices in the years ahead? Do you currently own a hybrid or electric car? Do you own a diesel? What's your view?

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I also noted this morning that Labour have said this doesn't go far enough or quick enough. I like to think if it was that important to them, it would have featured high in their manifesto at the last election. Maybe it was and I missed it?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Think this is an issue that transcends party politics, unfortunately, previous administrations have agree to this and it's now the law, this is allowing green groups to force the government to act rightly or wrongly.

Electric cars have come on so much in the past 10 to 15 years, who knows where we'll be in the next 23 add to this modern cars are so reliable that there'll be around for at least the next dozen or so years, I would suggest that lack of petrol stations as they go out of business or petrol becomes too expensive due to lack of scale will be the driver at the end.

Seems strange that only a week ago the gov decided to scrap the electrification of some rail lines, definitely sending mixed messages, and at least it gives us enough time to get the electrical infrastructure in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Just seen mine in the Motability store.

yYbLEV.jpg

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I've just bought a new diesel on a 4 year PCP, would have thought twice and maybe gone for petrol if I'd known earlier with the new rules coming in 3 years time.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My 10 year old son and I were driving down to Cornwall last year chatting about 'stuff' and we got onto electric cars via a question from him about what car I fancied next. I said that I would like to be able to go greener but it wasn't feasible due to the distance they go on a charge and the time it takes to charge. I explained how it works and he said "Why don't they just make all the batteries the same size and shape then you pull into a garage and swap your empty one for a full one??" (and they put your old one on charge for the next punter)

It struck me that was a fecking good solution....why not?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
My 10 year old son and I were driving down to Cornwall last year chatting about 'stuff' and we got onto electric cars via a question from him about what car I fancied next. I said that I would like to be able to go greener but it wasn't feasible due to the distance they go on a charge and the time it takes to charge. I explained how it works and he said "Why don't they just make all the batteries the same size and shape then you pull into a garage and swap your empty one for a full one??" (and they put your old one on charge for the next punter)

It struck me that was a fecking good solution....why not?

How about this scenario?

You have just driven your brand new electric car from the showroom up north to a 'battery station' 200 miles away on the way home.

They remove your brand new battery pack and install a 4 year old pack. You get home and use the vehicle locally so only use home charging but after a couple of months the battery pack dies.

You get in touch with your local dealer who says no problem mate that will be £3000.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
How about a scenario where you never actually 'own' a battery only 'rent' one. So you take your 'flat' in and exchange it for a 'charged' item, plus the cost of the 'tricity. The standardisation guys will have a field day!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
How about a scenario where you never actually 'own' a battery only 'rent' one. So you take your 'flat' in and exchange it for a 'charged' item, plus the cost of the 'tricity. The standardisation guys will have a field day!

That is OK until the battery pack goes wrong 100 miles from the place that fitted it, who is responsible for providing a new pack, you or the manufacturer or the charging station?

It would be like buying part worn tyres, you wouldn't know what abuse your purchase has been subject to.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
It would be similar to renting a car nowadays. You're driving along quite happily until, ... , Bleurgh, you come to a stop. Phone up the hire company and they recover/bring you out a replacement.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
No one has mentioned it. But what is to be done about trucks,buses and delivery vans.? A lot can go by rail but it still needs to be delivered.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
No one has mentioned it. But what is to be done about trucks,buses and delivery vans.? A lot can go by rail but it still needs to be delivered.

Drones of course, this is the start of Skynet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Someone on the radio talked about driverless cars coming to your door or place of work to pick you up take you where you want to go and then going to another job. You won't actually own a car. Think of how many hours a day you use your car and it seems the logical thing to do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk