• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need advice!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Well, after fannying around for years I have decided to take the plunge and do my CBT - the intention is that once I get that under my belt I'll then go and buy myself a 125 to get experience..

Has anyone got any top tips they can throw my way? For example, should I go for a 2nd hand bike first off (I'm bound to fall off it), or should I go for a new one? What about clothing?

Any tips for a virgin biker would be gratefully received...:pDT_Xtremez_19:

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Never ever go out without gloves on! If you do fall off, and I hope you don't, the first thing you do is put your hands out. Tarmac and palms of your hands - no contest.
I had some light-weight flying glove style ones for the summer. When I did slip off on some gravel, the tarmac took the tips of the fingers out of 'em but left my skin intact.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Kryten,

Is your intention to eventually move up to a larger bike? I believe it can be more cost effective to book a course that takes you to the point where you qualify to ride 1000cc+ bikes at the end. Whilst you are learning you pay for the hire of the bikes within the cost of the course without having to buy and sell bikes on the way up.

I haven't actually done this myself but know several people that are happy to have done it.

I would definitely agree some high quality gloves are your first priority (after the helmet of course). Leathers should be your next priority, If you don't land on your hands, you'l land on your rear (and it hurts).

For your first bike, I would recommend a second hand one as depreciation is high and there'll be less tears if it ends up sliding along the tarmac.

Happy and safe biking!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Don't bother with a 125, you will be bored of it in days.

FootTapper

Sergeant
Never buy a new bike as your first bike - the depreciation when you ride it away from the dealer is nearly as bad as the money it loses the first time you drop it!

125s can be good for learning to ride on, as you will pick up less bad/lazy habits than if you go direct access and onto a bigger bike. There's also a chance you'll learn how to ride the thing before you get on a bike powerful enough to throw you off.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Scrimp and spend

Scrimp and spend

If you're not doing direct access then you want to get a bike a cheap as possible for each of your learning curves, a 125 will be scarey for about a day or two and then you'll be wanting more, same with a 250 or 500.

You do need to spend money on protection, the ground is hard and fast and will scrape away anything it comes into contact with. Quality Leathers, Gloves, boots and Helmet are a must and then extra protection as you can afford it.

I've not come off yet but I'd like to think that as I lose the front wheel and fly towards the ground I don't remember buying that slightly cheaper helmet to save a few penny's

The BMF show at the end of the year is a bit of jumble sale of biking gear or Hien Gerrike do reasonable kit.

Good luck, and I hope you get out there before summer goes.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
As the others have said.. dont waste your time just doing your CBT get yourself booked in for proper lessons which will allow you to ride anything once you have passed all the tests. You will, as has been said, be loving the 125cc to start with and it will feel like a huge jump when you move onto the 500's after only a few lessons, but 2 hours down the line and you will be riding it no problem.

Crack slow riding on the 500 and you will pass the figure of 8's and the U turns no probs after that the fun times begin.

Take it from me... aim high otherwise your just wasting time and money and you will regret it in the long run!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
That said. used 125's are cheap for exactly that reason. People get em, take the test and 3 months cannot wait to get rid of them afterwards......

A for gear, what they all said...........Good used leathers, fine (if a little repulsive). Any used helmet (fnaar, fnaar), suicide.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Many thanks for all your advice - some top tips here. I had planned to do the CBT and then go straight into a direct access course but time is against me, so I figured that getting the CBT under my belt would allow me to get a 125 to build up some confidence before I launch straight into it.

Eventually I plan to move up to a larger bike, but having never even sat on a motorbike before I figured this would be the best way to go forward.

Thanks to you all!

ovloV

LAC
All of the replies are good gen, good kit is essential. It does not have to be top of the line but avoid bagin basement crap. I know as I have been down the road before and know how much it hurts. Still has not stopped me as I'm getting a ninja 600 very shortly.
As for the bike a Honda cb500, suzuki gs500 or yamaha er-5 are a good place to start. 125s are good for busy city stuff but on open roads I think they can be dangerous being able to keep moving at the same speed as the rest of the traffic will keep ar5ehole drivers from tailgating you. Go for a used bike as you will, not might drop it. Unfaired is also a good bet for a start as you won't have expensive plastics to replace when it does go over.
If you don't get the full licence from the start and go down the restricted path then you could ride any bike as long as it is limited to 33bhp. Most bike can have the kit fitted by your local shop.

All the best happy riding!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
All of the replies are good gen, good kit is essential. It does not have to be top of the line but avoid bagin basement crap. I know as I have been down the road before and know how much it hurts. Still has not stopped me as I'm getting a ninja 600 very shortly.
As for the bike a Honda cb500, suzuki gs500 or yamaha er-5 are a good place to start. 125s are good for busy city stuff but on open roads I think they can be dangerous being able to keep moving at the same speed as the rest of the traffic will keep ar5ehole drivers from tailgating you. Go for a used bike as you will, not might drop it. Unfaired is also a good bet for a start as you won't have expensive plastics to replace when it does go over.
If you don't get the full licence from the start and go down the restricted path then you could ride any bike as long as it is limited to 33bhp. Most bike can have the kit fitted by your local shop.

All the best happy riding!

Cheers, mate!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
As the others have said.. dont waste your time just doing your CBT get yourself booked in for proper lessons which will allow you to ride anything once you have passed all the tests. You will, as has been said, be loving the 125cc to start with and it will feel like a huge jump when you move onto the 500's after only a few lessons, but 2 hours down the line and you will be riding it no problem.

Crack slow riding on the 500 and you will pass the figure of 8's and the U turns no probs after that the fun times begin.

Take it from me... aim high otherwise your just wasting time and money and you will regret it in the long run!

Many thanks for all your advice - some top tips here. I had planned to do the CBT and then go straight into a direct access course but time is against me, so I figured that getting the CBT under my belt would allow me to get a 125 to build up some confidence before I launch straight into it.

Eventually I plan to move up to a larger bike, but having never even sat on a motorbike before I figured this would be the best way to go forward.

Thanks to you all!

Kryten

RAF Bird has got it 100% right. If anything, large bikes are safer, with bigger tyres, more powerful brakes (ABS on some), stronger chassis, better suspension etc.

The problem with riding a smaller bike on your own is you are likely to pick up bad habits on the way.

The fact you've never ridden before is a bonus when it comes to being instructed as you will do exactly as you're told and are more likely to pass the test.

It's probably worth paying to spend a day on a training course to see whether you are suited to being a biker before splashing any money out.

If you decide to buy a 125cc bike take a knowledgeable person with you to make sure you aren't buying a death trap.

Good luck!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Very valid points here - the problem is that I can't afford the cost of teh direct entry course at the moment - at least with doing a CBT i'm on someone elses bike and, like you say, I can see if I am suited to it before I leap off into the deep end.

Its better to spend £110 and find that out, than spend up to £1000 and realise that I should stick to roller skates or other, less dangerous, forms of travel...

merse2

LAC
Thought I would throw my two penneth worth in. I would definitely echo all the sentiments about getting good gear although I personally prefer textile clothing to leathers. It is very definitely worth a visit to a dealer to try on different clothing to see what feels comfortable for you (you can always buy it later from ebay or equivalent if you can't afford new). For me, Heine Gerrike (sp) clothing has lasted well and keeps me warm and dry.

As for the bike, given that you have never ridden before, I would be tempted to go for a 125. As a real world example, my son bought a 2008 CBR 125 last year for £1600. It still had some manufactures warranty left (although he didn't need it) which gave him peace of mind. He sold it last week for £1350 and at that price had people biting his arm off (I am sure he could have got more if he had been a more ruthless negotiator). I am not sure if you could run a bigger bike for 16 months and only lose £250.

Enjoy it whichever way you go.

FootTapper

Sergeant
If anything, large bikes are safer, with bigger tyres, more powerful brakes (ABS on some), stronger chassis, better suspension etc.

The problem with riding a smaller bike on your own is you are likely to pick up bad habits on the way.

I'm afraid my experience is the complete opposite. Going straight onto a bigger bike means that many riding errors are covered up by the bike.

Some new riders going onto bigger bikes remain scared of them for a long time, never making full use of the engine and always being in too high a gear to avoid revving the bike.

Riding a 125 teaches you a lot about looking ahead, keeping momentum, planning - all essential skills when you progress. Many riders I've met who did Direct Access and went straight onto a bike bike had no idea how to ride a corner, but would just open the throttle on the straights and never realise they were doing anything badly.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Some good points here...I think, given that I have never ridden before, and that I am living in an area where the average age is 75, a 125 is the best way forward to getting experience...if I get through the CBT I have 2 years to get as much experience as I can - then I can think about the test (and hopefully I will have saved up enough money to be able to do it).

Cheers for all your pointers though - each one gratefully received.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
You seem to have set your mind on buying a 125. Maybe there is someone out there that could recommend Makes and Models of bike that are reliable and fun to ride given their limitations of power.

It's a while back for me now I did enjoy riding my Yamaha DT125. Not much speed but plenty of torque from it's single cylinder for getting up hills and loads of fun. The other advantage is the sitting position, which is similar to that of a mountain bike and less strain on the back.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Thats the thing - everyone I talk to up here who has biking experience says that a 125 is the best thing to start off with...to be honest, its all about getting experience and skills under my belt...I can always move up as I get more confidence..