• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moyes gone - well maybe

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
According to the Telegraph he's toast and could be gone by next weekends fixtures.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...upport-of-the-clubs-Glazer-family-owners.html

Also being reported in the Guardian, Mirror and Mail.

Utd No title , No Europe, No trophies, with basically the same squad fergie left behind, Everton highest points tally in the premiership era and their highest position with basically the same squad he left behind for Martinez to manage.

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ferguson was an impossible act to follow. I said at the beginning of the season that it would be the guy who follows Moyes that succeeds.

I do laugh at them struggling though and there seems to be a lot less Man U fans around these days....

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
That's sad news. Probably the greatest manager they've ever had. He was showing true promise and was well on his way to cementing their place in history. In Moyes we trust.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Ferguson was an impossible act to follow. I said at the beginning of the season that it would be the guy who follows Moyes that succeeds.

I do laugh at them struggling though and there seems to be a lot less Man U fans around these days....

Does the MUFC traditionalist fans' breakaway FC United of Manchester still exist? (Same sort of thing as AFC Wimbledon.)

Having consulted Sir Matt Google, the answer is yes, they're probably about to be promoted from from the NPL to Conference North, appear to have good crowds for their level, also run a successful women's team, and the club still belongs to its members as opposed to a foreign corporate raider.

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Pub gossip tonight reckons he has been given the order of the boot, but the announcement will be tied to the New York Stock exchange opening/closing hours rather than anything to do with actual football.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
I always thought he was an odd choice for the job, as an Everton fan I was often frustrated with his style of football, he was more about not losing than winning. We'd be chasing a game and he'd take off a striker and put a midfielder on, it frustrated the cr@p out of us!

Give him his dues, he did know how to build a squad and that, I believe, is why they brought him in. Share price is king though. I feel a bit sorry him though.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I always thought he was an odd choice for the job, as an Everton fan I was often frustrated with his style of football, he was more about not losing than winning. We'd be chasing a game and he'd take off a striker and put a midfielder on, it frustrated the cr@p out of us!

Give him his dues, he did know how to build a squad and that, I believe, is why they brought him in. Share price is king though. I feel a bit sorry him though.

I was at the charity game on Monday amidst a sprinkling of Everton fans when the news of Moyes sacking first began to break. They voiced the same frustrations as you, too unadventurous. They were at your game with Man U and simply couldn't believe how toothless Moyes' side were, 2/3 of the possession and yet seldom looked like scoring; contrast that to Everton who have gained an edge they lacked before - witness Mirallas' goal.

Clearly the failure to get into the top 4 was the key decider, that's a big bag of money to lose with their overheads. The Europa League is a total bust, 19 games from start to winning the thing, half a league season's worth of matches for a tenth the money of the CL and nowhere near the kudos for winning it.

But let me ask you this in all seriousness, which did you prefer?

a. Moyes steady hand and careful use of the funds made available to him to build his own squad, or

b. The Martinez revolution, great looking football and a tilt at the top 4 but achieved through clever utilisation of the loan system. Because, lets face it, Lukaku, Barry and Delofeu could well be off elsewhere once their loans are over.

That is not a snipe or a dig or anything like that, just a question one fan to another.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I was at the charity game on Monday amidst a sprinkling of Everton fans when the news of Moyes sacking first began to break. They voiced the same frustrations as you, too unadventurous. They were at your game with Man U and simply couldn't believe how toothless Moyes' side were, 2/3 of the possession and yet seldom looked like scoring; contrast that to Everton who have gained an edge they lacked before - witness Mirallas' goal.

Clearly the failure to get into the top 4 was the key decider, that's a big bag of money to lose with their overheads. The Europa League is a total bust, 19 games from start to winning the thing, half a league season's worth of matches for a tenth the money of the CL and nowhere near the kudos for winning it.

But let me ask you this in all seriousness, which did you prefer?

a. Moyes steady hand and careful use of the funds made available to him to build his own squad, or

b. The Martinez revolution, great looking football and a tilt at the top 4 but achieved through clever utilisation of the loan system. Because, lets face it, Lukaku, Barry and Delofeu could well be off elsewhere once their loans are over.

That is not a snipe or a dig or anything like that, just a question one fan to another.

PSBM, I think your questions are moot really as Moyes perfectly suited managing Everton. After all, they don't ever really compete for anything - their whole raison d'etre is purely to finish above Liverpool, nothing else, not competing for European places, cups, the premiership, etc. That negative mentality suits Moyes' style of playing to not get beaten perfectly, which has been shown time and time again at the Theatre of Screams this season, as opposed to Martinez's new style of play that, to be fair, has been better for Blues fans to watch.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
After all, they don't ever really compete for anything - their whole raison d'etre is purely to finish above Liverpool, nothing else, not competing for European places, cups, the premiership, etc.

Come of it mate. Everton never nearly bankrupt themselves looking for those cups and European places, they've managed their resources as well as could be expected.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What I still find amazing listening to TV and radio phone-ins in recent days is the unrelenting arrogance of Man U fans, who expect at least £200M to be spent on "world class" players who will obviously flock to the club because in the fans arrogance a move to Man U can only viewed as an upward move in a players career. That a "world class" proven manager will instantly leave which ever "lower" club he currently manages to take the reins at the "biggest club" in the world. A big club? Just talk to Leeds fans they will tell you all about their big club as will local Wolves fans here in the Midlands. Man U will finish around 7th and have reached the 1/4 finals of the Champions league. Any Sunderland or Newcastle fan would take such a "poor" season and as any self respecting Geordie or Mackum will testify they do indeed support a very big club. On the bright side a season without Europe will give Man U more time to sort things out and more rest days during in the season and that's a recipe that seems to be doing Liverpool no harm this season.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
PSBM, I think your questions are moot really as Moyes perfectly suited managing Everton. After all, they don't ever really compete for anything - their whole raison d'etre is purely to finish above Liverpool, nothing else, not competing for European places, cups, the premiership, etc. That negative mentality suits Moyes' style of playing to not get beaten perfectly, which has been shown time and time again at the Theatre of Screams this season, as opposed to Martinez's new style of play that, to be fair, has been better for Blues fans to watch.

Said like a true red!

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Tin Basher said:
What I still find amazing listening to TV and radio phone-ins in recent days is the unrelenting arrogance of Man U fans, who expect at least £200M to be spent on "world class" players who will obviously flock to the club because in the fans arrogance a move to Man U can only viewed as an upward move in a players career. That a "world class" proven manager will instantly leave which ever "lower" club he currently manages to take the reins at the "biggest club" in the world.

Man Utd will inevitably attract a big name manager and they really need to do that if they are to convince the top players to go there. What business they do in the summer remains to be seen, but going into next season I don't see the likes of Van Gaal (or whoever) doing a worse job than Moyes managed this season.
One thing is almost certain; Moyes was brought in because it was believed he could pick up the reins of the dynasty that Ferguson left and take it forward. Now that scenario has been blown out of the water Man U are in the same position as every other club, i.e. they will be changing their manager every few season because that's what happens - even Pep Guardiola with all the success he had a Barca decided he wanted a change and in a few years he'll move on from Bayern. The stability they had with Ferguson who ran things his way has gone, they are in the same boat as the rest of us now.

G

Gord

Man Utd will inevitably attract a big name manager and they really need to do that if they are to convince the top players to go there. What business they do in the summer remains to be seen, but going into next season I don't see the likes of Van Gaal (or whoever) doing a worse job than Moyes managed this season.
One thing is almost certain; Moyes was brought in because it was believed he could pick up the reins of the dynasty that Ferguson left and take it forward. Now that scenario has been blown out of the water Man U are in the same position as every other club, i.e. they will be changing their manager every few season because that's what happens - even Pep Guardiola with all the success he had a Barca decided he wanted a change and in a few years he'll move on from Bayern. The stability they had with Ferguson who ran things his way has gone, they are in the same boat as the rest of us now.

I guess we'll see next season whether or not a new manager will be able to pull the nancy boys at United together and how many of the overpaid useless tw@ts get replaced during the off season.

I still reckon they get f*ckin' well paid to do a job that requires next to f*ck all mentally and not much more than to keep themselves fit and healthy, if they've got the so called talent they are bragging about.

They should have been able to get out there and do the f*ckin' job even if they'd been managed by Arthur f*ckin Askey and he's been dead for bleedin' decades and was just a joker when he was alive.

Tossers the lot of 'em.

Last edited:

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Moyes was sold a pup
Ferguson was lucky to win the league last year and he knew it.
Remember he had to bring back Paul Scholes and he bought most of the guys who failed Moyes.
I also reject thoughts that Feguson "built a dynasty" no he didn't Shankly built one at Liverpool but Fergie didn't at Utd.
He should have had Giggs, Scholes and Neville preparing for todays game three - four years ago and showing them how to carry on.
Same as Shanks did with Bob Paisley and Joe Fagin they barely had to manage everything was in place.
Liverpool only really fell apart after Dagliesh went the managerial merry go round started.
Utd are now (for me) right back where they were when Sir Matt Busby left.

The problem I think everyone had with Moyes was that when he took over at Everton he did turn the club around.
He was always solid and dependable grinding out results and everyone talked of what if he was given Man Utd to manage.
Trouble was he was one of those people you meet where they are good Cpl's but garbage Sgt's as they just can't push on as they are meant to.
Moyes was in that position he didn't have the nounce to get to the next level, akin to maybe Allerdyce or Redknapp.
All good dependable managers but will never win the league or a world cup.
Remember also Fergie had years to get his team right there wasn't the pressure of share prices and money owed.
The Glazers have put the club in this position not Moyles.
What happens if Gigg's and the the next manager fails?
I thijnk it'll be years before Man Utd win teh league
I predict more of an Arsenal from now on always scrabbling for fouth place.

Need to Look at Liverpool and Brendan Rogers
Last year to be honest I'd have given him 6 months the way they were playing but he got a chance and what price that now.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Lucky to win the league? By eleven points? Great move getting Scholes out of retirement. Ferguson is IMO the best manager that there has ever been. Just opinion mind. If Liverpool win it this year it will be well deserved but I don't expect them to win it again, especially when Suarez is Madrid bound. Liverpool fans on social media are obsessed with United. When they should be enjoying this season they are more concerned with Man Utd. It's sad and tbh a compliment to utd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Gord

Lucky to win the league? By eleven points? Great move getting Scholes out of retirement. Ferguson is IMO the best manager that there has ever been. Just opinion mind. If Liverpool win it this year it will be well deserved but I don't expect them to win it again, especially when Suarez is Madrid bound. Liverpool fans on social media are obsessed with United. When they should be enjoying this season they are more concerned with Man Utd. It's sad and tbh a compliment to utd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Ferguson is IMO the best manager that there has ever been."

That's what they said about Matt Busby and they said Ferguson could never fill his shoes.

Go figure.