• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Motor bike tests

HeWitch

Corporal
Re-took my Mod 1 at Inverness today and passed with 2 minors!
1 was speed on the avoidance (47 kph first try, 51 second) although I had 55 on the emergency stop.
Other minor was the u-turn, I skinned the line on the oposite side, I'd done fine turns in much less space during pre-test practice but nerves bit in again. I didn't turn enough at the start and could see the line geting closer but screamed inside my head NOT to look down at the line.
Glad I wasn't trying it on a 125 - I'm not the right body "shape" for them and there's no way in Hull I'd be able to get one up to speed for the speed trap; once I had the speed up after the corner, the stop and swerve were both pretty easy, certainly the swerve itself is just a lean/countersteer and nothing like as bad as the early press reports said. The testing area itself is also huge.
Right, on to the next bit!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Nice one - top tip for your MOD 2; just before you pull away from the kerb look right over your shoulder, not just move your head - it will save you the embarrasment (and levels of rage) at failing on one serious only....

Good luck to you, though - when do you do MOD 2?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Congrats :)

I passed my Mod 1 today as well :D

No minors and 60 KPH for the Emergency stop and 53 for the swerve.

I know what you mean about the 125, personally i reckon the 500 is easier to ride/takes less effort.

HeWitch

Corporal
Nice one Weebl! I was on a 400, had done most of the training on a 500 so that's one of my excuses sorted :)

And cheers Kryten, hoping for around the 14th next month unless I can get a short notice cancellation. I'll keep the tip in mind!

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Nice one Weebl! I was on a 400, had done most of the training on a 500 so that's one of my excuses sorted :)

And cheers Kryten, hoping for around the 14th next month unless I can get a short notice cancellation. I'll keep the tip in mind!

That is weird :)

My place are booked solid (apparently there was a strike a couple of weeks ago?) and the earliest they can get me in is the 14th as well. Although that is dependent on a few things fitting in, otherwise it is not till the 28th :(

I know for a fact that before the test if you had offered me a pass with 2 minors then I would have snapped it up, so don't beat yourself up about it :) And I am not sure why you got a minor for the speed if he sent you round again and you got 51? 47 is a fail, 48 and 49 are passes with minors, and you don't then go round for the second go.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Weebl, HeWitch

Just as a matter of interest, when you pass MOD 2 what are you thinking of getting (assuming you haven't already gotten something already, that is)? Are you looking at a sports bike, or something that is a lot more forgiving?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Are you looking at a sports bike, or something that is a lot more forgiving?

I have been looking at a fair few options.

I like the CBR600F, and for a sports bike it is supposedly quite noobie friendly. I have also had a look at a Kawasaki ER6F, It looks nice and has a more grown up riding position. I usually wander off and dribble all over a Kawasaki Green ZX6R at some point as well, but realistically, that is probably not an ideal first bike :)

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
I've got an ER6F, does everything I want it to do. A surprisingly quick bike if you want it to be. Good for touring and motorways, Helpfully comes with Mr Kawasaki's very nice 0% interest deals.

Only negative is if you are 6' tall or more it will be a bit cramped over a distance.

Try as many as you can. There is no worse feeling than having signed the deal 'cos it looks nice and two weeks later thinking bugger!

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I usually wander off and dribble all over a Kawasaki Green ZX6R at some point as well, but realistically, that is probably not an ideal first bike :)

That was my 1st bike and it wasn't a problem. Felt heavy when I first got on but I'm quite a big lad so soon got used to it. Just don't ride it like a tw@t and you'll be ok

Going back to the U turn on part 1, I was transfixed on the line even though it was wider than the roads I used. I just squeezed in and luckily the examiner missed me putting my foot down as I stopped because he was looking down marking me

I've got an ER6F, does everything I want it to do. A surprisingly quick bike if you want it to be. Good for touring and motorways, Helpfully comes with Mr Kawasaki's very nice 0% interest deals.

Only negative is if you are 6' tall or more it will be a bit cramped over a distance.

Try as many as you can. There is no worse feeling than having signed the deal 'cos it looks nice and two weeks later thinking bugger!

I learn't on an older 2002 ER6, but with my luck n' all the guy training the day before my test decided it was a great idea to drop it and smash up the front on the kerb... Not impressed! Ended up taking my test on a 2008 model, and I have to say I much preferred the older one! Felt more solid and less tendency to swerve at the slightest bump or pothole...

HeWitch

Corporal
Weebl, HeWitch

Just as a matter of interest, when you pass MOD 2 what are you thinking of getting (assuming you haven't already gotten something already, that is)? Are you looking at a sports bike, or something that is a lot more forgiving?

Honestly, I'll be looking at anything available unless I can get another stint down at MPA or further south, in which case I'm thinking of Deauville/V-Strom/Tiger sort of thing. Bit sensible but able to take the roads up here when the council forgets that roads may need maintenance more than once a millenium.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Mate of mine has a V-strom, with panniers fitted - its a behemoth. It's got 50cc more than my Hornet but goes like hot snot. I rode a Deauville a couple of weeks ago while my Hornet was going for its first service - nice bike, but it was like riding a tank.....still, it went over potholes without so much as a bump...

HeWitch

Corporal
Well that's a bit of a shock, rather than next week my Mod 2 test is now tomorrow.

Moderately carping myself just now but I've got a couple of hours of lesson beforehand to get over the nerves (yeah, like that's going to work) and try to get the last rough edges off.

Glad it's tomorrow not today or Friday though, should be better weather. Mind you, given who I work for I wouldn't be too surprised to be riding through a thunderstorm...

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Well that's a bit of a shock, rather than next week my Mod 2 test is now tomorrow.

Moderately carping myself just now but I've got a couple of hours of lesson beforehand to get over the nerves (yeah, like that's going to work) and try to get the last rough edges off.

Glad it's tomorrow not today or Friday though, should be better weather. Mind you, given who I work for I wouldn't be too surprised to be riding through a thunderstorm...

Best of luck mate :) I wish I could have got mine that early!

You know you can ride, you have done the made up stuff in a car park, all you have to do now is ride around with a bloke in your ear acting like a Sat Nav for 40 minutes. Easy :D (he says trying to be supportive while knowing no matter what I will still be bricking it next Thursday)

Oh yea, CANCEL THE INDICATORS :)

Kryten

Warrant Officer

Top tip from Weebl there - just think of the examiners voice in your ear as a sat nav giving directions, ALWAYS do a lifesaver and ALWAYS cancel your indicators - and relax; it will be the quickest 40 mins of your life!

Good luck to you, and to you too, Weebl - if a bloke in his 40's with all the aerodynamic grace and poise of a house brick can pass the test I am sure you'll get through it no probs....and just think how much bother you'll be saving yourself by doing the test this year.....:pDT_Xtremez_30:

HeWitch

Corporal
Cheers guys, cancelled the indicators fine, rode fine for 99 % of the est (apart from not speeding up fast enough after junctions - cue 3 minors) but pulled away in front of a sodding car. 1 Serious and a retest being booked. :pDT_Xtremez_42:
Best best of luck Weebl, hope you'll do better than me!

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Glad I passed my test in the 80's! None of this malarky to suffer, you just rode around the block a few times with the examiner walking around to observe you in various situations. Did mine on a 250 just a few months before the law was changed to reduce the engine size and power to 12bhp 125s.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Cheers guys, cancelled the indicators fine, rode fine for 99 % of the est (apart from not speeding up fast enough after junctions - cue 3 minors) but pulled away in front of a sodding car. 1 Serious and a retest being booked. :pDT_Xtremez_42:
Best best of luck Weebl, hope you'll do better than me!

That is spooky - it sounds like a mirror of my Test No 2....I had to pull over at the examiner's request and when he told me to move off, I didn't look far enough behind me and pulled out into the path of a car. Instant fail.

Don't be disheartened, mate - at least when you come to do the test again you will never make those mistakes again!

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Bugger :(

As Kryten says, at least you will not make those mistakes again so next time FTW :)