• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lack of drivers

foxOneFive

Corporal
I had C+E (HGV2) from the late 80’s and kept it up to date with medicals til I was 55 and I thought the need for a backstop was over…
You done well for keeping it going for that long. The CPC was the last nail for me, but at 57 even if I had it still now. there's no way I'd give it another go, all be it previously was only for a couple of years. 15 years ago in my eyes the ADR was taking the Michael every 5 years at a few hundred £ if you were not employed

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
They're talking about sending the army in but I'm wondering just how many fully qualified class 1 ADR, CPC, drivers the army actually has available.. I suspect not as many as the politicians might be assuming.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I'm waiting with baited breath for Boris to write his love letter to try to persuade me to go back to driving for a living.

Hot Shoes

Corporal
They're talking about sending the army in but I'm wondering just how many fully qualified class 1 ADR, CPC, drivers the army actually has available.. I suspect not as many as the politicians might be assuming.
Not sure they need a CPC. I work somewhere in East Anglia for the septics and last time I asked the drivers didn't all have CPC's, there is some sort of MOD exemption. I certainly never had one with my CAT D licence.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Had Grandad rights for HGV 2 + trailer. CE restricted in todays money. I mind driving a 4T with long split axle trailer, with a chinook gearbox on it, to Denmark in 1988. That nearly had the turning circle of the Ark Royal and far more than a Class 1. Licence lapsed now but wouldn't entertain sleeping in lay bys and shitting in the woods anymore :)

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
My Brothers view on driving trucks.

"So I have a truck license and an ADR license so I can drive a tanker!!
So why would I rather stick wasps up my ass than go back to truck driving.
There’s no shortage of truck drivers we haven’t gone anywhere just had enough of shit money, VOSA, CPC, Regulations gone mad.
Good luck convincing me to drive a truck ever again👍"

Wonder why there's a shortage?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
My Brothers view on driving trucks.

"So I have a truck license and an ADR license so I can drive a tanker!!
So why would I rather stick wasps up my ass than go back to truck driving.
There’s no shortage of truck drivers we haven’t gone anywhere just had enough of shit money, VOSA, CPC, Regulations gone mad.
Good luck convincing me to drive a truck ever again👍"

Wonder why there's a shortage?
I think you'd still need to do a DPD (or is it PDP?) course

My Brother-in-Law is still driving HGVs and training HGV drivers at 75 years old (he still cycles far better than I do too) He's been driving since he was 21 (busses, international coaches and lorries and some chauffeuring) and he sees no reason yet to stop.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Since the CPC was an EU requirement; the UK government could, at least in theory, suspend or modify the requirements to hold it. E.g. by temporarily making it unnecessary for 'UK only' drivers or extending the period of validity etc. That might go some way to alleviating the nausea of it that, I know, irritates many drivers and is a factor in some giving up the job altogether.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Since the CPC was an EU requirement; the UK government could, at least in theory, suspend or modify the requirements to hold it. E.g. by temporarily making it unnecessary for 'UK only' drivers or extending the period of validity etc. That might go some way to alleviating the nausea of it that, I know, irritates many drivers and is a factor in some giving up the job altogether.
Training industry would lobby hard against this safety training stopping, despite it being a tick box exercise

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Psst..don't spread this round, but there's a rumour in Lapland that Christmas parcels might not be delivered due to a shortage of reindeers qualified to tow sleighs through international airspace. (taps nose).

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Did you all get your begging letters this morning.
I've not received one yet. That said, looking on gov.uk for CPC courses means it would be almost Christmas before I could get my 35 hours of modules in, then I would have to wait for my Class 1 to be re-input onto my licence once I'd found a doctor who is willing to see a patient face to face for a LGV driver medical.

So much red tape makes it almost a non-starter.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Got mine. Done F-ALL HGV driving apart from that Dump at Beverley. MOved on in post years ago before had a chance to do it so not actually done any HGV driving!! Got the old 7.5 Tonne on my licence :-O!! Not interested. Left the Mil to get away from B5 and now having a happier life. Would like to keep it that way!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I let my licence lapse at first review, can’t see a letter coming through for me

Vushtrri

Sergeant
In the meantime I drove from Campbeltown to Chester, filled up at Tarbert at an empty petrol station and again nr Chester at an empty Stn…

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
You didn't feel love bombed then?
It was very vague whilst promising the world at the same time.

That and despite all their promises in their below average pithiness letter, my current role offers me a fantastic work life balance, a decent second pension building up, a fully funded MSc (Part Time but still get paid for it - even at the weekend if I want on Time + 1/2 or Double Time) a good crowd to work for/with and offering valuable experience I take to other areas of the business should I want to and I actually feel valued.

You won't get that for quite sometime yet if you switched to truck driving.