• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lack of drivers

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A question. Is it possible to train as an HGV driver as part of resettlement?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
A question. Is it possible to train as an HGV driver as part of resettlement?
You can (with enough justification) spend your resettlement Grant and use your ELC's / SLC's on pretty much anything. I heard of one who used his time flying back and forth from Table Top Mountain for currency towards his PPL.

GOV1

LAC
Talk Wrench,

I did it with a local firm, your resettlement clerk will do all the paperwork, bit of a faff but it was nice to be home every night.

Also to earn more bucks do the ADR course, driving around delivering gas bottles or LPG.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Talk Wrench,

I did it with a local firm, your resettlement clerk will do all the paperwork, bit of a faff but it was nice to be home every night.

Also to earn more bucks do the ADR course, driving around delivering gas bottles or LPG.
Cheers, it's not for me, rather my offspring who PVR'd on Friday.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Being nosey....Any particular reason? Which trade?
I'm not entirely sure but recently he's complained about the lack of prospects, lack of promotion opportunities considering the route to SAC tech compared to other trades, too much emphasis on PC, diversity, inclusion etc etc which has led to a muzzled, walking on egg shell approach across the entire working environment. Oh and crap management.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Talk Wrench,

I'd agree with that. If you can get the C licence and ADR for free on resettlement (just a a backup if you not sure what you want to do)

Apols if I'm out of date here but the ADR was a week in the classroom "of which you can not fail" (lasts 5 years?)

And you have to have as said above to have scary stuff in the back....Which all the potential employer wants is that piece of paper

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don't know what the figure is, but under a certain number of years there is no resettlement grant.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don't know what the figure is, but under a certain number of years there is no resettlement grant.
I suppose it's up to him to find out because ultimately it's his decision. All I can do is to respect his choices and support where I can.

I'm saddened by it though.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
State of the Forces unfortunately TW!! State of the Forces.........

Dissatisfaction is usually a personal thing, but I'm hearing the same themes of dissatisfaction across all ranks and from many of the few Stations we have left.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Lots of employers starting to offer free LGV training schemes, Moy Park in Lincs, get paid whilst training, complete any retention period then you’re sorted through to your 47th.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Seems to be a new weekend activity starting, petrol station queues.

Que obligatory driver coming from wrong direction to cut in and blocking traffic from both directions.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I had C+E (HGV2) from the late 80’s and kept it up to date with medicals til I was 55 and I thought the need for a backstop was over…