• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodbye Innsworth

G

glosterman

On 31 March RAF Innsworth ceased to exist. With the earler closure of Barnwood & RAF Quedgley, Gloucester now becomes another town with no significant RAF presence. Add this, to the closure of RAF Locking, withdrawl from St Athan and in a few years time the closure of Lyneham, the West will become a light blue free zone. I am sure this will help RAF recruitment. Hope their Airships, already struggeling to recruit support staff to Air Command and those serving in cramped conditions at High Wycombe think it was worth it!

Ah well, I gather the Army are moving in to Innsworth. Time to dig out the green bunting and lock up our daughters!

M

monobrow

St Athan is going to become the techie centre of excellence though....

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Arent RSS moving out of St Athan sometime next year?
Just a rumour I heard..........

Vee2

Corporal
There's a few of us crabs still here, I am posting from my room in the old Officers' Mess across the road from camp. For the first time in my RAF career I have an en-suiite that isn't a sink in the corner of the room!

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
St Athan is going to become the techie centre of excellence though....
Only if Centre of Excellence follows current RAF trends and really means "The only place we do ....... (insert job/skill/etc..)":pDT_Xtremez_30::pDT_Xtremez_30:

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thought that after Innsworth was closed, all personnel files were sent to Cranwell for "safe"keeping.

TW

TW was correct, records and the RAF disclosures cell moved to Cranwell. And... there are still a few RAF at Innsworth which is the home of the RAF JPA focal point.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Medical records however are back in the public sector. TNT archiving services based at Swadlincote (I have no idea where that is!) have the contract.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Medical records however are back in the public sector. TNT archiving services based at Swadlincote (I have no idea where that is!) have the contract.

Thanks for that Ninja,

I will be doing some digging around to try and find mine. My solicitor needs them to illustrate the shambles surrounding my discharge from the RAF.

TW

Vee2

Corporal
The medals office is still there at the moment, the civvies from there have caused a bit of a fuss by coming over to the mess, buying a meal ticket and then eating about 6 meals worth of food every lunchtime. The officers mess is now a combined mess for some of us still accommodated here, it's the best accommodation I've had in my 12 years.

The army is starting to make its presence felt though.

Vee2

Corporal
Innsworth has truly gone now, we are now called Imjin Barracks, although nobody seems to have told the cab drivers or takeaway delivery guys yet.

G

Geeza

The medals office is still there at the moment, the civvies from there have caused a bit of a fuss by coming over to the mess, buying a meal ticket and then eating about 6 meals worth of food every lunchtime. The officers mess is now a combined mess for some of us still accommodated here, it's the best accommodation I've had in my 12 years.

The army is starting to make its presence felt though.

I ate in the privatised catered off mess at Innsworth about three years ago. Worst food I've eaten in any mess in 30 years.:pDT_Xtremez_06:

Vee2

Corporal
I ate in the privatised catered off mess at Innsworth about three years ago. Worst food I've eaten in any mess in 30 years.:pDT_Xtremez_06:

Yes it was bloody awful. It's not combined messing in the old Officers' Mess for WOs and below. The food has definitely improved, but that's probably because the JRM here before it shut was the worst I've ever eaten in.