• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gen on Kandahar

N

Nil Stock

MTP... What trade are you, lots of TCW and a few others are strutting around in it.

Oh good, won't be sticking out too badly then. And yes, I'm a stacker but before someone suggests it I didn't get special privileges on kit, honest guv.

Kim Wipe

Corporal
Got it too mate. Sounds like the new stuff will be on the shelves soon, just a few have been pre-prepped to order!

How well does Skype works out at KAF?

Thanks in advance :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Skype works pretty well on the wifi. It does tend to eat up your allowance on the paradigm card quite quickly - you should get 30 mins per day.
It tends to work better during the day as everyone else is trying to use it at night. I managed voice and video conversations most days.

Kim Wipe

Corporal
Is there any call for civvies atm since the posts from last year? Also, anything, for those who have been, wished they took with them to make life a bit easier?

Finally, are Bisto granules still as welcomed as they are in most theatres? :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Vee2

Corporal
So I fly out to KAF in January on my merry way to somewhere a little bit more deserted than that, but I have a few of questions.

So I got 3 lots of the new stuff plus I've got the deserts from last year's trip. I know people are being issued with 3 sets of new and one set of deserts.

- Why the deserts? There must be a reason we are still issued one set.

- What do we fly out in? Deserts or MTP? Or do we just make our own decisions on that? I am assuming it's still the same procedure.. helmet, ECBA plus carry-on bag?

- Is it compulsory to take a ressie? I took mine last time but it just took up valuable space.

- Are we supposed to mix and match the different colours and patterns? Some of my cold weather stuff (issued to me today) is green DPM, some of my kit from last time (assault vest, camelbak etc, plus the ECBA I got today) is desert coloured. Doesn't seem to do much for the camouflage really. Got some lovely nice new desert gloves today, they don't really go that well with the MTP either.

- Where are the cheapest (real, not scrapings from Abdul's hoover) cigarettes on KAF?

Last edited:
N

Nil Stock

So I fly out to KAF in January on my merry way to somewhere a little bit more deserted than that, but I have a few of questions.

So I got 3 lots of the new stuff plus I've got the deserts from last year's trip. I know people are being issued with 3 sets of new and one set of deserts.

- Why the deserts? There must be a reason we are still issued one set.

No idea why deserts are still issued, they can't (at least shouldn't) be worn in theatre.

- What do we fly out in? Deserts or MTP? Or do we just make our own decisions on that? I am assuming it's still the same procedure.. helmet, ECBA plus carry-on bag?

MTP, I'd recommed you don't even bring your deserts. We took deserts from everyone and disposed of them in theatre a couple of months back when we issued everyone MTP.

- Is it compulsory to take a ressie? I took mine last time but it just took up valuable space.

You're "supposed" to have it. But I'd say use your own judgement. Personally I haven't bothered with it, nor did I last time.

- Are we supposed to mix and match the different colours and patterns? Some of my cold weather stuff (issued to me today) is green DPM, some of my kit from last time (assault vest, camelbak etc, plus the ECBA I got today) is desert coloured. Doesn't seem to do much for the camouflage really. Got some lovely nice new desert gloves today, they don't really go that well with the MTP either.

You can wear Desert pattern cold/foul weather kit with MTP if there is no MTP version available (or you haven't been issued with it) otherwise it's all MTP. ECBA is only available in desert pattern, if you are issued Osprey it'll be the new MTP stuff.

- Where are the cheapest (real, not scrapings from Abdul's hoover) cigarettes on KAF?

The DCS PX (near Cambridge lines on the road towards the jingley market) is the cheapest. Followed by the Dutch PX and then the French. There is no more then a $2 difference between any of them though

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
No idea why deserts are still issued, they can't (at least shouldn't) be worn in theatre.

MTP, I'd recommed you don't even bring your deserts. We took deserts from everyone and disposed of them in theatre a couple of months back when we issued everyone MTP.

They are issuing deserts because you only get 3 sets of MTP. I am going to take a few sets of deserts with me in April just so I have enough kit to turn around. There are no rules stating you can't wear deserts.

N

Nil Stock

They are issuing deserts because you only get 3 sets of MTP. I am going to take a few sets of deserts with me in April just so I have enough kit to turn around. There are no rules stating you can't wear deserts.

The GSM here at KAF would disagree with that ;). And 904 EAW and all other units at KAF policy (and therefore can only assume 903 EAW at Bastion) is MTP only. If you do wear deserts expect to be asked why you're wearing them a lot, nobody in theatre is wearing them now, apart from the odd group on a short term visit. But even they are very few and far between now.

You were only ever issued with 3 sets of kit even when in deserts, and three sets should be ample. The guys who deployed out here with deserts in the months prior to the roll out of MTP were only issued 2 sets of MTP in theatre.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
The joys of being part of TCW is that the GSM tends to just leave us alone lol. Our chain of command have said we can wear deserts as well as MTP if we want however MTP is the main dress. 3 sets of deserts? lol, i'll keep quiet that i've got 10 complete sets.

I

IMissLocking

The joys of being part of TCW is that the GSM tends to just leave us alone lol. Our chain of command have said we can wear deserts as well as MTP if we want however MTP is the main dress. 3 sets of deserts? lol, i'll keep quiet that i've got 10 complete sets.

Just another example of the cowboy attitude of TCW. No wonder you are despised by everybody.

About time they did away with the chief cowboy in charge and put someone with a brain in post, instead of a SF wannabe.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I know this is a KAF thread however just to keep everyone in the loop, 99% of folks at Bastion are also now in MTP. 3 sets is the standard issue. There is a mix and mash of other items at the moment. DPM gloves, DPM bergen covers. The MTP "accessories" are filtering through slowly though.

Vee2

Corporal
Thanks all. Sounds like taking deserts is a waste of time. although I might take my issue desert shorts and a shirt, just to see how the US guys on Dwyer take it. :D

Doesn't really matter what your chain of command say while sat at Leeming, if the GSM or 1* says no then thats that really!!

And check you out, 10 complete sets eh! What a fcuking hero you are

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Ladies

This thread is a valuable resource to those who are deploying or about to deploy please leave the handbags at the door or go to the fight club for your epeen contest.

Thanks.

E

enginesuck

Mobile phones

Mobile phones

Hi guys, i hope someone in the know replys to this query soon. Im deploying to KAF in a weeks time, i know mobile phones are a no no due to various reasons, covered elsewhere. BUT IF i were to carry a mobile out there, for use for games/podcast listening whilst in the accom only and kept it on airplane mode only (im not bloody stupid, i would never switch it on to recieve/ transmit) would it realistically be a massive problem ? I am probably not going to take it TBH but was just wondering.

Ex Tg3

SAC
That'll be fine so long as you leave the Sim Card out of it, there's no risk then of it coming out of Airplane mode then.

JTforever

Corporal
Make sure you leave your SIM card at home.

Having it with you in theatre will cause you big problems if anyone hears about it, regardless of wether its installed in the phone or not.