• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gen on Kandahar

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
I thought I would write a quick newbies guide to Kandahar (KAF).

Having only 'days to do' with my current Det I thought it would be a good idea.

Arrivals

When you get here arrivals are quite straight forward albeit a bit hectic. You're taken from the aircraft via bus to the air terminal where you will be briefed on the arrival process and then you will queue up to arrive. If you're going on to another station/base other than KAF then you have to queue up for that particular desk. Once you finally get to the front of your queue your docs (F1250, Passport, Green Card etc) are checked and if all is okay you're given your Paradigm Welfare Phone Card, get you're weapon and away you go. While this is all going on the junior ranks are usually given the task of unloading all the aircraft baggage from vehicles into a couple of 12x12's outside. So if your a junior rank then hide :)

Hopefully, once you've gathered your luggage you will be met by someone from your section who will either take you to work first to give you some gen or take you to the armoury and then onto your accomodation to get some kip.

Station arrival is straight forward and takes no more than an hour to do and the majority of things are no more than a 10 minute walk from the British Accomodation Area.

Dosh

You can cash a cheque at the Post Office which is situated by the Brit mess next door to the QM's store. Also there is the cash till over at the boardwalk, see below.

Accommodation

Accomodation has moved on since a year ago. Now the Brits are housed in single floor accomodation blocks which are like regular barrack blocks. There are 4 men per room. In each room are two bunk beds, 4 lockers and 4 bedside tables (Which are pretty useless with bunkbeds). Each of the rooms has one Air Conditioning unit which is more than ample. If you're lucky your room will have a fridge a TV and a DVD and you get the usual BFBS channels including Sky News and the premiereship footy. All blocks have full shower and bogs but be warned. The showers can end up being freezing as all hot water is pumped from a central tank. So get in there early.

Dining facilities

The Mess is okay and does a variety of meals. There is always a salad bar on at each meal but lacks a good variety with a lot of the stuff spoilt by the addition of strange sald dressings or mayonaise. There are 3 messes, the Brit (Cambridge), the American/Canadian (Niagra), the Dutch (Luxembourg) and the Asian. You can eat at any one of them but only the Brit mess insists on all Brits eating in Uniform which is why all our meals have been in the Luxumbourg when off shift. If you work over by Whisky ramp you have a new dining facility which is often much better quality than the rest.

Fitness

Just recently they have opened a CV and weight gym near the Brit accomodation which is getting better facilities each week. The best time to go training is about 22:OO onwards when the gym is much more empty and much cooler. There is a newly built indoor five a side gym which also has a few education classrooms built into it. If you go to the back of the cafe and proceed upstairs you will find the education Clerk. If you ask him/her nicely you may be able to sign out a PS3 for your tour. They also let you sign out 3 games at a time and they have a shed load.

Ammenities

There is a half decent American BX/PX where you can buy anything from cold drinks, MP3 players to PS3 (currently £200), Xbox360 and lap tops. There is also a Dutch BX but things there are very expensive. A Canex is also available but very small. The Brits have the usual EFI shop with a large NAAFI cafe opposite. In this cafe they do teas, coffes, ice creams and various other snacks. There is also Pool tables, Table footy and about 6 PS3 machines with 32 inch screens to play on.

The Dutch have a 'Mally' like rest room/restauraunt which also has wireless internet in. The cost of food is about $12 (US) for steak and chips or $5 for a good omellette. The internet is about $3.50 and hour and a visa/mastercard is required. All you do is spark up your laptop and link up with the network and then make an account. Once your done your online. The speed isn't too good but at least you can a brew, have something to eat while chatting to the Mrs. Oh, and you will need a continental plug adapter to plug your laptop in as well.

On the subject of internet. The Brit area now has free wireless internet which you can easily access in your room. There is also the normal welfare telephone and internet booths next door to the EFI but the queues are a pain in the arse.

On the boardwalk recreational area there are a multitude of small shops and takeaways. Here you have:

TGI Fridays
Pizza Restaurant
Burger King
Subway
Pizza Hut
An Ice Cream shop
Tim Hortons Donut & coffee shop
French Coffee Shop
Green Bean Coffee shop

There is also an Afghan Cash Till machine here but you get charged for taking out your dosh. Charges are in line with the ones you get in the UK.

Laundry

The laundry is operated via contractor and as far as I can see its a two day turn round. If you put it in on Monday you get it back on Wednesday. Its a pretty decent wash and people who have been to Basrah should know the score. However, they tend to shrink the majority of your clothes so dont go taking any decent clobber with you. You will need to pick up some laundry tags which I believe you get from the QM stores up by the Brit Mess. All you do is tie your laundry tags to you bags before you hand them in and fill out a Ecolog Laundry Item List and hand them both in at the laundry.

I will try and write some more gen when I think of it. I am trying not to breach any security stuff here and will update it etc when I get time.

I hope it helps.

Updated 04/08/10

Last edited:
H

Highflight

What about the air-conditioning? Is there and where is it?

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
I always thought the Niagra Mess was Canadian but maybe its the American mess.

Another one. The Brit accomadation is barrack block type with 4 people per room. Each room has an AC unit and each block has showers, urinals and bogs.

Each mess has ample AC and the gym has the usual AC in a tube running above you with holes in.

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I arrived in Mar 07 they were promising the brit gym opposite the efi would be finished by easter. When I left in july it still wasn't finished, good to see they've finally done it.:pDT_Xtremez_06: Is the spam gym still open?

S

shoutingwind

are the girls still bunked away from herc det wobbley?

sorbs

LAC
Wobbly, many thanks for the info I am due out there mid-May. Anymore info you have will be most welcome, especially regarding additional items of kit I should take to make life a bit more comfy.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
The Spam Gym is still open yes.

Yes, the ladies are now in the block next door to the lads.

Extra kit?

In May it's going to be bleedin hot so don't forget some decent factor suncream, even if you're not intending to get some rays.

The gym facilities are decent so if you're into that then bring some decent trainers and socks. Also, bring some decent foot powder as you're feet will rot like buggery if you don't powder daily.

its dusty as hell out here so anything that will stop you having to breath the crap in when walking beside the roads would be a bargain. I know you're issued with a facelet but you look a **** if you wear it.

If you intend doing the 10k run around the camp its also important to take your camelback.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
How about laundry facilities?
What's the turn round time so that I know how many pairs of shreddies to take?

Claustie

LAC
Cheers for the gen, Wobbly,

i'm off to Kandahar at the end of July/begining of Aug for my 4 month holiday.

Claustie

Kandahar VAHS

Kandahar VAHS

Thanks for the gen Wobbly.
I have just found out toda that my LTA to Kandahar VAHS has been announced as 28th April. Anybody else going around that time? :pDT_Xtremez_17:

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Thanks for the gen Wobbly.
I have just found out toda that my LTA to Kandahar VAHS has been announced as 28th April. Anybody else going around that time? :pDT_Xtremez_17:

I'm flying out there this weekend so will be there when you get out there. If you want any up to date gen or want me to find anything out for you just drop me a PM mate. See you there!

S

shoutingwind

and i'm out w week after mingmong, if you get bored bigbadrigger pop over to herc det for a cuppa :)

L

lr06

Hello,
Im now flying out at the end of may for my 4 month holiday, i only found out yesterday it had been brought forward so im hoping i can get all of my kit in time.
What civvies do people take? except for gym kit im unsure what to take.
Any girlys going out around the same time as me?

S

shoutingwind

i'll be there- come down to herc det for a cuppa :) try a bunch of t-shirts, a couple of pairs of shorts, and couple of longer trouser so teh mossies don't eat you in the evening and a light long sleeve top (mossies again) thats all i take normally for the desert

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Hiya girls I am out there just now if there is any info you need just PM me and I'll help out all I can.

Wobbly it is 11.4k round camp (TLS to TLS), shows how many times you did it eh? Mind you it might be a bit far for you eh and there's no bar half way round!! har har. ;0)
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Peak of Fitness?

Peak of Fitness?

Hiya girls I am out there just now if there is any info you need just PM me and I'll help out all I can.

Wobbly it is 11.4k round camp (TLS to TLS), shows how many times you did it eh? Mind you it might be a bit far for you eh and there's no bar half way round!! har har. ;0)
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

I've done it loads of times, takes 40 minutes in the Toyota Flat Bed if you stick to the 10mph speed limit and don't stop off at the Canadians to try and eat your own bodyweight in free Oreo Cookies from their tea bar. Oh! Make sure you have a fully functional lighter if you intend to tab on the way as there aren't many passers by to ask for one.