• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ey oop!

eccles291

LAC
Thought I'd post up to say hello and introduce meself. :encouragement:

I'm currently part way through my application to join 4624 Sqn and have my interview later this week. I've been reading up loads on here and on the official website, finding out more about the RAF (current ops, overseas stations, organisational structure etc etc), what to expect during training and all the sort of things that will probably be asked at my interview. I've then got my medical next week and hopefully, if it all goes to plan, I'll be with 4624 at Brize to start my training very soon.

I read a post on here by someone who had been for their interview and they listed the things they were asked, which was a great starting point. I've also found a blog - thanks to a link posted in a thread by 37isntOld on E-Goat - written by a chap doing his 15 days at Halton which has been invaluable. Link --> Basic Recruit Course blog .

Now I just need to hope I can get rid of this cold before next week's medical. Timing is un-bloody-believeable! I'm unlucky if I get one cold in about 3 years normally and this one is an absolute stinker!!! :rolleyes: Yeah yeah, I know... MTFU etc!! :biggrin: Seriously though, does anyone know if it's likely to affect anything in my medical? Or is it just giving Capita an easy excuse to fail me in order to get a repeat fee when I'm back to rights? [cynical mode off]

Anyway, if anyone has any top tips for me that might help in my interview then I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Cheers. :adoration:

Entropy

Sergeant
4624 is a cracking Sqn and the largest in the reserves (good interview point to drop in there). For the interview I would advise you to just be yourself. The interviewers know that the reserves are more 'mature' than the average recruit so they take this into account despite being forced to use the same questions as they do for the regular recruits.

You haven't mentioned the airman selection test (AST), if you haven't taken it yet then I would strong advise revising the test and there is plenty of guidance on the Goat.

I don't think that a cold will stop you as they are looking at your general fitness and not something on that day as trivial as a cold.

Cheers
Ent

eccles291

LAC
4624 is a cracking Sqn and the largest in the reserves (good interview point to drop in there). For the interview I would advise you to just be yourself. The interviewers know that the reserves are more 'mature' than the average recruit so they take this into account despite being forced to use the same questions as they do for the regular recruits.

You haven't mentioned the airman selection test (AST), if you haven't taken it yet then I would strong advise revising the test and there is plenty of guidance on the Goat.

I don't think that a cold will stop you as they are looking at your general fitness and not something on that day as trivial as a cold.

Cheers
Ent

That's brilliant, thanks for that. I should have mentioned in my original post that I've already done the AST and passed with flying colours. :positive: Just a little more brushing up on current affairs and global hotspots and I think I'm ready for the interview.

oneiron

LAC
That's brilliant, thanks for that. I should have mentioned in my original post that I've already done the AST and passed with flying colours. :positive: Just a little more brushing up on current affairs and global hotspots and I think I'm ready for the interview.
Hi, Ive had my interview at 4624 Sqn - they asked me all sorts of questions about me , my family , what I was like at school - but its about yourself so as long as your honest that part should be a breeze. The second part of the interview is about what you know about the RAF its role, where they are based, what they are doing & where, NATO. Most of this info is easily researchable . Ive also had my medical and got deferred for high blood pressure which is absolute rubbish as Ive been testing near on perfect BP every day. Strongly suspect I was deferred for financial reasons- looking forward to starting BRTC25 in Sept. Hopefully see you on the BRTC ?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
For the record here, I have had a discussion with some senior officers recently in which it was quite openly stated that Capita operate most exactly the the medical standards dictated by the agreement with the MoD - thereby offering you some insight as to whe people were failing.

The vast majority of Reserves actually fail at the medical or fitness standards, usually the latter, but no-one is expecting superman.

Hoggy

LAC
I 'light blue'd ' my fitness tests in preparation for the changes in April 2015 for the regiment but there were still some guys who failed the tests last time we all did one!

eccles291

LAC
Well, the interview went really well and I should hear the outcome next week but I'm pretty confident everything should be okay. And today I passed the medical! Woohoo!! :biggrin:

I 'light blue'd ' my fitness tests in preparation for the changes in April 2015 for the regiment but there were still some guys who failed the tests last time we all did one!
Can you explain to the uninitiated what that means please? :redface:

Hoggy

LAC
Well done on the medical and glad the interview went well. When you do your fitness test you will have a chart of which your minimum pass level will be in the colour green then the next level up light blue and dark blue after that. I joined a reserve regiment squadron and as of april 2015 all regiment squadrons need to attain the higher level of fitness of light blue, the original green pass will be a fail. As your are not joining the regiment yours will remain green. Hope that makes sense! Have they given you the charts yet and told you what level you need to get for your age?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It isn't a fitness test until you drop, BTW - they are only interested in seeing that you can make the minimum level for your age. After that they ask you to stop.

You may not bother to take your suit off.

eccles291

LAC
Well done on the medical and glad the interview went well. When you do your fitness test you will have a chart of which your minimum pass level will be in the colour green then the next level up light blue and dark blue after that. I joined a reserve regiment squadron and as of april 2015 all regiment squadrons need to attain the higher level of fitness of light blue, the original green pass will be a fail. As your are not joining the regiment yours will remain green. Hope that makes sense! Have they given you the charts yet and told you what level you need to get for your age?
Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. I got the charts during my previous application (I failed the medical that time but the chest problem I had then has been sorted with surgery. I had confirmation at my interview that DOM (I think?) were satisfied with the outcome and they are now happy for me to proceed). I've seen the level I need to reach so I know what I'm working towards.

It isn't a fitness test until you drop, BTW - they are only interested in seeing that you can make the minimum level for your age. After that they ask you to stop.

You may not bother to take your suit off.
LOL I'm pretty sure I will need to take my suit off. :hopelessness:

eccles291

LAC
Incidentally, has anyone got any idea of how soon after the interview/medical the fitness test is likely to be? I have no idea and can't find reference to a timescale of things where it's mentioned.

oneiron

LAC
Incidentally, has anyone got any idea of how soon after the interview/medical the fitness test is likely to be? I have no idea and can't find reference to a timescale of things where it's mentioned.
Fitness Test is carried out on your first weekend at the base, and will involve a bleep test not the 1.5m run.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Fitness Test is carried out on your first weekend at the base, and will involve a bleep test not the 1.5m run.

That has now changed.

People are being inducted and attested without the medical and fitness test according to a new policy - yes, it sounds ridiculous.

Until such time as these 2 little tasks have been completed, they are only limited kitting (ie, denims, boots, beret, t-shirt). You can imagine how happy they are in this heat.

eccles291

LAC
Thanks guys. I spoke to my recruiting Sgt this morning and she told me that the PJFT will either be at the end of August or in September and, providing I get through it, I should be starting with the Sqn towards the end of October. Woohoo! :biggrin: (It sounds a long way off but I know it'll come round really quickly, especially since July just disappeared in what feels like about 10 days!!)

I've had a week or two off from my running due to a stinking cold/chest infection but it's finally going now and I'm back on my running program. Having a rough timescale of things is a big help and I know it's down to me and my own determination now. I've waited long enough to get this far, I really don't intend to screw it up through lack of fitness!

eccles291

LAC
Got my confirmation through, passed everything so far. PJFT in 1 month, if successful then start with the Sqn at the end of October. :biggrin:

eccles291

LAC
Just wondering about the sit-ups and press-ups in the PJFT. Are the figures quoted in the requirements for the number of reps to be performed in a minute? :confused:

Entropy

Sergeant
Yep, the numbers required are the minimum needed in a minute. It will be the full requirement of shuttles, p-ups and s-ups.

Last edited:

eccles291

LAC
Yep, the numbers required are the minimum needed in a minute. It will be the full requirement of shuttles, p-ups and s-ups.

I thought so. Thanks for confirming it. :encouragement: Probably about time I did a dry run of everything as per the info videos on the RAF website. I'll try doing a bleep test too as I've never done one before although I'm not too worried about it. I think I'll be fine... he said, tempting fate! :biggrin:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Be wary - there a lot of failures down that path. Give it a shot at least first - it's downloadable as an Ap.

eccles291

LAC
Be wary - there a lot of failures down that path. Give it a shot at least first - it's downloadable as an Ap.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I'd like to know what to expect in a bleep test before next week. The press-ups and sit-ups don't worry me too much.