• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ey oop!

Entropy

Sergeant
Look for the 20m bleep test as this is what we do. As Stevienics said, practice it beforehand. I found it a bit of a shock and failed my first test. Look forward to seeing you on the Sqn.

eccles291

LAC
Look for the 20m bleep test as this is what we do. As Stevienics said, practice it beforehand. I found it a bit of a shock and failed my first test. Look forward to seeing you on the Sqn.

Thanks Entropy. :smile:

I managed to find a free iPhone app for the beep test in the App Store the other day. Last night I marked out the 20m outside our house (we live on a really quiet country road) and did my first ever beep test. I scored 7.8 which I think is just below the requirement for my age (41) but the road has a slight slope so that makes it a little more difficult and I failed at the end of an uphill shuttle. :hopelessness: The test was a bit of a shock to me too. I was doing absolutely fine up to Level 5/6 and then suddenly in the space of 2 shuttles my legs went, which surprised me as I thought it would be my fitness/lung capacity that would cause me to fail rather than my legs turning to jelly! I was gutted I failed so quickly after thinking I was doing okay but on reflection I don't think it's too bad an effort.

I'm hoping to do at least one more practice this week before the proper test on Friday as I don't think I was quite ready for it last night. Bad prep on my part really as I'd just got home from work and I was really hungry so I had a packet of crisps to stop my belly rumbling! Not a good way to go into the test, I know. I hope my legs going in the way they did is more likely to be a result of not eating properly before hand rather than me not being able to reach the required standard. I'll be much better prepared for the real one.

Entropy

Sergeant
The last part of the test is more mental than physical where its just a case of hanginging out for as long as necessary. You need level 8.3 for your age so it was only 120m (ish) needed. You can almost run that one one breath so its not too far. My advice would be to practice again and make sure that you are rested beforehand.

Good luck for Friday.
Ent

ERT

Corporal
and 8.3 is the minimum standard. I would set your sights a little higher...maybe 8.6.

Every there and back is 0.2 higher.

Hoggy

LAC
A combination of nerves, adrenaline and doing the test with other candidates should get you through on the day!

As mentioned above make sure you are well rested.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Don't let that phecker sneak up on you. It can be tough because you have to keep going faster and faster - the older you are the harder that is. there are thousands of 60year old marathon runners, but very few who prefer sprints; this is for a reason.

For the really old bustard 55 and over. I have some stop press news:

If you dont fancy being judged on the performance of your ticker, you no longer have to.

New standards have been introduced and you can run like hell between 2 lines just like anyone else, which I fully intend to. What goes on in my chest is my concern. No obligation to do the Rockport any more.

eccles291

LAC
Thanks for the tips. I did another practice beep test first thing yesterday morning (Thurs) before I went to work but that's the last thing I've done. I've rested since then. I wanted to do one before Thursday but just didn't get chance with one thing or another! That's mainly why I purposely stopped at Level 7 yesterday as I didn't want to push myself too hard with only 36 hours to go before the biggun! I'm pretty sure the occasion will give me the extra impetus to get through it, I'll just have to dig deep.

I really hope practicing on the road outside with a slope on it (albeit small) has been enough to make the real one that tiny bit easier.

One question, do you hear the levels announced as you're doing the test? I've done my practices with my iPhone in my hand so I could look at the screen to see which level I was at.

Entropy

Sergeant
Yes you do, its a very loud bleep plus a voice announces the move to the next level. If you have our Sqn PTI (a Welsh man with a booming voice), he will start calling out the levels once you get past lvl 5 so you will know exactly where you are.

eccles291

LAC
Thanks Ent, that helped put my mind at ease. Sadly it didn't make any difference as the test didn't happen! There had been an 'administrative error' and it turned out I was actually an hour late! Apparently I should have been there for 19:00 hrs but the letter I got said the test was at 20:00 hrs. Frustrating but there's nowt I could do about it so onwards & upwards.

By the sound of things I'll have to wait 3 weeks for the next one, so I'm just waiting for confirmation of that. Meantime I've got more time to get meself ready for it.

eccles291

LAC
Small update...

Small update...

It's been a week now and I've still not had any official confirmation from the Sqn about when my rescheduled test will be. :confusion:

On the plus side, I've been practicing the beep test and now know I can get to the required level. :biggrin: I didn't realise how much of the problem was in my head TBH. :redface: I had a huge mental hurdle to get all the way through Level 7 but once I heard "Level 8" announced I knew I could pass... and I'm practicing on a slope! :glee: :victorious: Hopefully the practice I do from now until the real thing will be just a little bit easier having achieved the pass mark. Time to push on as far as I can through Level 8 until a couple of days before it happens for real.

As stupid as it might sound, I was under the impression that each level was speeding up all the way through. In other words I thought 7.2 was slower than say 7.6, which in turn was slower than 7.8 etc. etc. It wasn't until tonight that it finally dawned on me that each level is the same speed all the way through until you get to the next level. (There was a clue there really!! :redface: LOL) I think this is a lot of the reason I had built up this mental hurdle but at least it's gone now. :smile:

Entropy

Sergeant
I said that it was part mental test as well as a physical test. You could try interval runs as well as the bleep test, lots of info on the web about how to do it plus free phone apps to help. Also don't forget about the press ups and sit ups.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If you dont fancy being judged on the performance of your ticker, you no longer have to.

New standards have been introduced and you can run like hell between 2 lines just like anyone else, .

This is me, tralking out o my a$s BTW. Duff gen from the admin office.

eccles291

LAC
I said that it was part mental test as well as a physical test. You could try interval runs as well as the bleep test, lots of info on the web about how to do it plus free phone apps to help. Also don't forget about the press ups and sit ups.

Yep, got the press-ups and sit-ups covered.

Found an app for interval training last night so will give it a go when I get home from work today. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Harby1

LAC
PJFT

PJFT

Got my fitness test coming up at 4624 soon too and I seem to recall hearing that it's not the full sit up (ie from the small of your back rather than from horizontal on the floor). The main RAF site and bumpf suggests full sit up though? Any other tips on the test, form and protocols appreciated pls?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Got my fitness test coming up at 4624 soon too and I seem to recall hearing that it's not the full sit up (ie from the small of your back rather than from horizontal on the floor). The main RAF site and bumpf suggests full sit up though? Any other tips on the test, form and protocols appreciated pls?

Train for the most difficult and anything less is a bonus.

eccles291

LAC
I did the PJFT on Saturday and passed. Woohoo!! :applause:

The test I did on Saturday started with the bleep test where you stop as soon as you reach your pass mark. Once you've got your breath back you do the press-ups and then finally the sit-ups.

The starting position for sit-ups is with your shoulders flat on the floor, fingers on your temples, feet flat and knees bent at 90 degrees. Each sit-up is counted when your elbows touch your knees. When you lower your body you don't put your shoulders back on the floor, it's more like the middle of your back that touches down.

Hope that helps. :)

Harby1

LAC
Thanks eccles, fantastic as that form is much easier to complete over 60 secs Just got to find a deserted car park to practice the bleep test in next (!)

Last edited: