• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6 Month Dets for the RAF

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
As an average in my trade 6 weeks PDT of one sort or another is about right, and that's just the trade related stuff. I think TBJs estimate of 7 months is about right. The actual requirement in theatre for all this training is questionable though.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Another nail in the coffin IMO....

Four months has worked for ages, why change now?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Another nail in the coffin IMO....

Four months has worked for ages, why change now?

If you were an airship and had been attending strategy meetings and forming a 5, 10 or even 20 year plan and you knew just what cuts were coming and had to ensure people left because they were p1ssed off leaving only people who will let you stamp all over them taking bites out of enormous sh1t sandwiches without complaint then this is perhaps quite a shrewd move...use this as a filter to get rid of the waiverers and those with building family or personal issues...

Realist78

Master of my destiny
If you were an airship and had been attending strategy meetings and forming a 5, 10 or even 20 year plan and you knew just what cuts were coming and had to ensure people left because they were p1ssed off leaving only people who will let you stamp all over them taking bites out of enormous sh1t sandwiches without complaint then this is perhaps quite a shrewd move...use this as a filter to get rid of the waiverers and those with building family or personal issues...

Nail, hammer, bang on.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I wonder if this applies to reserve force deployments as well?

It might prove a little, counterproductive, in an environment where these are being used not simply for defence of the realm situation but also to fill in gaps in regular manning. These people have more than one life to live.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I know this has been talked about before but one of the lads came back from the school last week and said the Trade Sponsor said that as of Apr 12 all Dets will be 6 months.
Has anyone seen anything official?

I've just received AO's for 3 personnel to deploy to an Op Allowance-earning location next summer and they are all for 4 months.

unruly1986

Sergeant
I've just received AO's for 3 personnel to deploy to an Op Allowance-earning location next summer and they are all for 4 months.

The rumour mill is in overdrive at the secret West Mids training base. Aparrently if you have an assignment order at the moment for next year, expect the tour length to change.

Someone told me there was a brief at Brize last week, any truth to this?

90SU find out on Monday.

The wife'll be over the moon if they extend her FI to 6 months, on the other side it'll be 6 months with just me and the kids in Cyprus:pDT_Xtremez_30:

JTforever

Corporal
I just wish I could get on a detachment at all! I'd love a 4/6 monther but can't get on anything despite repeated calls and emails to manning.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
The annoying thing for most folks I presume will be the fact that there has been? a briefing somewhere that included the statement that dets will be moving to 6 monthers in 2012. If that is the case, why isn't it known Service wide? Unless, as previously stated, slow trickle of gen will p1ss people of...

C

CC

Talking of the twisted sock brigade.....I've seen 3 Med Boards recently, where in the past they would have allowed people to stay in, actually discharge people.

Times are a changing and personnel on Perm Reduced JMES need to watch out.........if you can't deploy then why do they need to keep you in?

Scary thing is, there appears to be no consideration given to time left to serve, consequently one person has missed out on their Immediate Pension by 3 months! Didn't get a med discharge as their injury was not attributable to the service!

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Talking of the twisted sock brigade.....I've seen 3 Med Boards recently, where in the past they would have allowed people to stay in, actually discharge people.

Double standards then. This should be challenged by the individuals.

Scary thing is, there appears to be no consideration given to time left to serve, consequently one person has missed out on their Immediate Pension by 3 months! Didn't get a med discharge as their injury was not attributable to the service![/QUOTE]

Then they should have been given an SIP if on AFPS 75. Or are you saying they were admin discharged on medical grounds?

C

CC

Double standards then. This should be challenged by the individuals.

Scary thing is, there appears to be no consideration given to time left to serve, consequently one person has missed out on their Immediate Pension by 3 months! Didn't get a med discharge as their injury was not attributable to the service!

Then they should have been given an SIP if on AFPS 75. Or are you saying they were admin discharged on medical grounds?[/QUOTE]

No such thing as double standards, every case is taken on its own merits and one decision does not set a precedent, apparently.

In fact we've had two, one admin discharge on Med grounds (non attributable AFPS75) and an AFPS05 discharge.

Max

Sergeant
About time as far as I'm concerned, Just a shame it took them so long to get round to it.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I have heard for some time that 6 month dets were due but only for those in a senior managerial position to provide a decent form of 'continuence'?

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
For those asking about the airbridge, it should ease the hassle as there will only be people requiring flights there and back on a six monthly basis, but any gains from going to six months could easily be wiped out by the additional flights needed for R&R. Hmm, will have to add up that one to figure out where the saving is. As my brain tells me that it's no saving on the airbridge, but a big saving on Units losing bodies every other month.