• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6 Month Dets for the RAF

1Referee

LAC
Ditto,

TG18 Supplier pinged for MPA Reserve Mar 12, actual Jul-Nov. 4 Months.

Also as an aside I have a temp downgrade that could last til May, but want to get rid of it ASAP, post knee surgery in early Dec.

Not all of us are hiding behind the SMO!!! Some of us just have some pretty worn parts that occasionally need repair!!

feckinG RANT

Corporal
And if you think 6 month dets are bad just be glad your not in the american military them dudes do a minimum of 1 year!!!!

You need to get real! From what I have seen you have yet to offer anything constructive.

You are correct that US Forces do longer, but they are also looked after a lot better, both in the facilities provided and extra money. I believe they also don't pay tax, but I may be wrong on this.

feckinG RANT

Corporal
Often wondered about R&R, would most people prefer to take it at the end of their tour effectively reducing the length of it? I know I would. If this was possible there would be a reduced strain on transport.

Dazzy26

Corporal
Often wondered about R&R, would most people prefer to take it at the end of their tour effectively reducing the length of it? I know I would. If this was possible there would be a reduced strain on transport.

Took mine at the 4 month point of a 6 month OOA, and if I'm honest came back even more knackered as tried to fit so much in with the family, but that was my choice. Needed the break mentally though. If the RAF choose to make all OOA'S 6 months then why should people give them a get out clause by not taking their R&R until the end? They must have worked out that air bridges can take the strain surely.....NOT

Max

Sergeant
That is the whole reason R&R exists. Tagging it on at the end of a deployment (I know it happens on occasion) defeats its purpose.

Almost as pointless as Decompression.. Especially since you don't have to pass through it for your R&R regardless of how long you've done or what you've been through.

C

CC

Oddly, it's still a Cdr's decision as to whether or not his troops get R&R and, as discussed, earlier, if you take R&R mid tour you get OA (where you qualify) for it, if you take it at the end of your tour, you don't.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Apparently there was a TG4 ACOS Manning brief at Leeming recently and it was confirmed.

I'm well aware that this is a rumour site, but still no-one has come forward and said 'I've been to a brief, and this is what's happening, and you can read it in AP blah...'

Anyone??

C

CC

I'm well aware that this is a rumour site, but still no-one has come forward and said 'I've been to a brief, and this is what's happening, and you can read it in AP blah...'

Anyone??

Even as a Chief Clerk, I've seen no official policy from Manning dictating that all our Op Deps (new word for OOA) will go to 6 months.

unruly1986

Sergeant
That's the thing and The way it is being leaked is what is wrong with it (if it is true which it looks to be), where is the official announcement?

If it happens I'll be away for 6 months next year. And it'll be my last det as I'll be leaving (read PVR) shortly after.

6 month OOAs???........NOT!!!

6 month OOAs???........NOT!!!

My 2 pence worth. A big Airship visited a secret Typhoon air base in eastern England just before Christmas. He was asked a direct question about 6 month deployments and replied that some OOA posts would be extended to 6 months based on role and PDT. As some have previously noted PDT can sometimes be as long if not longer than the actual 4 month OOA. These are the types of post that would be extended to 6 months to make full use of those long PDT times. The bulk of OOA posts will remain at 4 months. Still until something comes out in writing I wouldn't bet on anything.

T

tootall

TG1 and have been pinged for Bastion Sep 12 - Jan 13, 4 months. I had the paperwork through a few months back, personally in my circumstances I dont want to be extended and hope that my det stays at 4.

B

bawbagjambo

Confirmed today by my Chf Clk,the 6 months det isn't happening. Well at least for me and the rest of TG5, unless your attached to the rocks.

KingGuin

Sergeant
I've just returned from a 6 month det in the Sandpit: every RAF person (regardless of trade or rank) working in our locale was serving the same. TBH it wasnt too much of a hastle and whilst it gained us some credence with the British Army our USMC colleagues on 12 month tours almost considered us part-time!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've just returned from a 6 month det in the Sandpit: every RAF person (regardless of trade or rank) working in our locale was serving the same. TBH it wasnt too much of a hastle and whilst it gained us some credence with the British Army our USMC colleagues on 12 month tours almost considered us part-time!

Is this an important factor for many out there?

Last year I sat, with the rest of my sqn, through a brief from one of our pilots who had returned from a tour in AFG with the Army (he was some kind of liason dude for AWACS). It was eye-wateringly embarressing to sit there listening to this muppet steal an hour of my life waffling on about 'getting your beret into a decent shape' and not mentioning things like flying pay or occaissionally staying in hotels...he had a 10 commandments list of such utter b0llocks...I actually began to question his mental health half way through as he was just so utterly brain-washed and Army centric he'd forgotten his roots and heritage....