• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6 Month Dets for the RAF

C

CC

Yes, there would be an increase in the numbers of seats on flights required but nothing like the 50% increase suggested earlier or the 25% increase suggested by MWD because not every post will be affected, only those RAF posts which are currently set at 4 months. So we are only talking about a comparative handful of extra seats.

As much as we worry about the additional strain on the airbridge, it managed to absorb shipping people back and fore to Cyprus when ELLAMY kicked off; that extra burden was much greater and was achieved at no notice.

Fair point there but what about MPA, or do we expect them to stay at 4 months?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Sounds like its if you don't like it.... Use your 11 clicks to freedom. A VERY cheap way of reducing numbers even more.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yes, there would be an increase in the numbers of seats on flights required but nothing like the 50% increase suggested earlier or the 25% increase suggested by MWD because not every post will be affected, only those RAF posts which are currently set at 4 months. So we are only talking about a comparative handful of extra seats.

As much as we worry about the additional strain on the airbridge, it managed to absorb shipping people back and fore to Cyprus when ELLAMY kicked off; that extra burden was much greater and was achieved at no notice.

Yes it did. But believe me that effort will cost further down the line. Fleet planners will be pulling their hair out trying to absorb the extra landings, flying hours, FI etc

C

CC

RAFP at MPA are doing 6 monthers in addition to the majority of pongos and fish-heads.

So do they get R&R which they can take back in the UK? All the zobs I know, on 6 monthers, used to go to Chile I think for their extended R&R.

People need to stop biatching about deployments. Why did you join the RAF if you just wanted a cushy little number in the UK close to home and that suits you. And if you think 6 month dets are bad just be glad your not in the american military them dudes do a minimum of 1 year!!!!

MattBombHead

Sergeant
So what's the Gen then?? Are 6 months dets happening??

Has anyone ACTUALLY been pinged for one yet??

And I don't mean the old 'my mate knows someone, who knew someone, whose best mates dogs uncle went to a briefing...' ::p:

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
People need to stop biatching about deployments. Why did you join the RAF if you just wanted a cushy little number in the UK close to home and that suits you. And if you think 6 month dets are bad just be glad your not in the american military them dudes do a minimum of 1 year!!!!
I joined at a time when there was no 6 month dets and had no wife and kids. Had I known there was a possibility of going away for 6 months at a time on a regular basis I would have thought twice before joining. A lot of marriages could go down the swanny with this decision. 6 months is too long, Army and US Army join knowing they face the possibility of long tours

Max

Sergeant

Same applies to the Dress standards so I hope you've got your sidies up Smalley!!

So what's the Gen then?? Are 6 months dets happening??

Has anyone ACTUALLY been pinged for one yet??

And I don't mean the old 'my mate knows someone, who knew someone, whose best mates dogs uncle went to a briefing...' ::p:

Yep - my other half goes off for 6 months shortly, and I know of at least 4 others who have done / are doing 6 monthers. And they are in a variety of locations too, not all in nasty sandy places. No problem with hubby going off on det - all part and parcel of the job - but I have to admit to struggling to get my head around the 6 month bit. But, as we have all got used to the 4 month dets (usually without R&R) then I guess we'll get used to the 6 monthers eventually.

as a young singly TG9 SAC, the length of the det wouldnt fuss me, but 6 months away in Bastion for example with no R&R does seem like a bit of a sh*tter, been pinged for a stint in MPA with a possible LTA date of april 16th, but nothing on JPA as of yet.

As for total time away from Valley for a TG9 SAC (not including leave) at the moment its 1 week IPDT at cosford, and a DATOC cse at Shawbury, and the loss isnt that bad for us.

Last edited:

unruly1986

Sergeant
99% `GEN` now. April onwards will be 6 monthers for the RAF.Means if you are on 90SU you will go away the same time of year (Xmas?) every other year for 4 years.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just to straighten things out..

4 months - No R & R
4 - 6 - 1 period of 7 days
6 - 7 - 1 period of 14 days
7 - 9 - 2 periods of 14 days
9 - 12 - 3 periods of 14 days

C

CC

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but as a LM, 6 month dets are gonna be a nightmare. It's okay for the Army, they nearly always deploy as a FU, so they all go away together to do their job. However, for us going away as IAs, take into account PDT and POL, and you will lose someone for a good 8-9 months.

I know by going away for 6 months, they should come round less, but I can imagine the twisted sock brigade already planning ahead; getting their SMO appts booked well in advance :pDT_Xtremez_25: so there's a good chance even at 6 months, they will come round just as often.

Last edited:

unruly1986

Sergeant
Just to straighten things out..4 months - No R & R4 - 6 - 1 period of 7 days6 - 7 - 1 period of 14 days 7 - 9 - 2 periods of 14 days9 - 12 - 3 periods of 14 days
I reckon the next step will be 6 Months = no R&R unless you can be potentially deployed to a FOB. (So Army/Marines and RAF Regt will get R&R).So none for Falklands (no change), Oman, Al Udeid, Minhad etc.

TABETX AND SEND

Corporal
Well, all this speculation and still nothing in writing for anyone to see.
Has anybody seen anything offical yet or is it as this Forum states all rumour control?

UlsterExile

Sergeant
With tab on this nothing official come through just word of mouth, and with us having to supply bods for the Olympics next year that would be a real kick in the slats. Would this not need some real foresight for those of us potentially going ooa next year. And don't give any bollox about insurance for hols as we know when we are due to go. I accept short notice but not extending without prior knowledge especially when we are planning hols for next year.