• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Youth Training Scheme - YTS

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Just been reading Ulster Exile's post on the First 48 Hours thread.

What are people's opinions of re-introducing the YTS scheme?

I first knew about them at Leeming in 86/87 time, all the ones I met (none within my trade) seemed to be good folk that enjoyed themselves and if memory serves most of them signed on at the earliest opportunity.

Bring them back I say,

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I remember one lad I knew at Saints and was stationed with me at JHQ RAFG went on to do the full 22 years.
As for bringing it back. I would say no.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I remember the YTS scheme. IIRC, they received a shortened training and only went to trades with short courses and only had to serve 12 months( (or less?) on reduced rates of pay as they were under 18. We had 1 or possibly 2 in our section, we received the first with some trepidation thinking they may lack commitment and wouldn't be worth spending the time on to develop them. In the end she did ok and signed on for a longer career.
Not sure I would bring the scheme back though with the much reduced permanent manpower situation these days to absorb the training burden.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
If the RAF currently struggles to meet its recruitment targets (diversity targets aside) then I fail to see how the reintroduction of a form of YTS scheme would improve things. If the MOD were serious about attracting high calibre candidates from schools and colleges to fulfil the demands of the technical Air Force of the future, then perhaps it should take a look at how "industry" goes about things - Apprenticeships with a degree for example - decent pay another.

The employment market/landscape, is significantly different than back in the 1980's. Society has moved on, along with expectations

Deltaitem

Corporal
Training on the cheap, paying peanuts, getting monkeys. A footnote in history is the best place for it.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Training on the cheap, paying peanuts, getting monkeys. A footnote in history is the best place for it.
That's unfair I think. There were more than a few people who ended up with long good careers because they had the opportunity to try service life for less than the 6 year minimum commitment that would otherwise have put them off. The service benefitted in the short term by filling manning gaps and long term through retaining those who made the grade. It worked for many at the time but I still don't think it would work now.

Deltaitem

Corporal
That's unfair I think. There were more than a few people who ended up with long good careers because they had the opportunity to try service life for less than the 6 year minimum commitment that would otherwise have put them off. The service benefitted in the short term by filling manning gaps and long term through retaining those who made the grade. It worked for many at the time but I still don't think it would work now.
Indeed, and it even gets a thumbs up-ish, from the Guardian, so I reckon a revisionist view may actually work.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Indeed, and it even gets a thumbs up-ish, from the Guardian, so I reckon a revisionist view may actually work.
Bless her, totally unaware of how her invention was actually put into practice.
And a damming indictment on the school education system, producing personnel unsuited to the job market.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
IIRC some joined RAF because the regular vacancies were filled, take a YTS or wait a year and reapply, and risk failing.

Never met a YTS Waller who was any different to a regular, only main difference is they had less money at the beginning of the month and more at the end, weekly pay and all that.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Maybe in the civvie sector, but I like many others who are still in. We just did Phase 1 in a different environment as we were all under 18, phase 2 was the same as the regulars.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
IIRC some joined RAF because the regular vacancies were filled, take a YTS or wait a year and reapply, and risk failing.

Never met a YTS Waller who was any different to a regular, only main difference is they had less money at the beginning of the month and more at the end, weekly pay and all that.
£10.48p a week and had to do a pay parade to receive it. When you moved to phase 2, there was always a massive Que on a Thursday at the cashiers officer all YTS waning paid. Used to see the faces of any regulars looking to get their 1771's just do an about turn and come back another day.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
That last YTS course went through in Feb 1991 at Hereford, There was a signal went out to all units asking if any ex members would like to come back and see the final parade and also make up a second flight.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Just been reading Ulster Exile's post on the First 48 Hours thread.

What are people's opinions of re-introducing the YTS scheme?

I first knew about them at Leeming in 86/87 time, all the ones I met (none within my trade) seemed to be good folk that enjoyed themselves and if memory serves most of them signed on at the earliest opportunity.

Bring them back I say,
I'm not sure the youth of today would sign up for it. We did an event for a local collage who do the public services course. It was hard work to say the least. Took there phones off them in the afternoon, feck you'd think we were asking for blood. They were lost and really struggled to communicate and do anything for themselves. Not sure the outlay in set up would pay dividends.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What would be the point when you can join from 16 now anyway?

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
What would be the point when you can join from 16 now anyway?
You could join from 16 before YTS (I was 16 & 9 months when I signed on in '76). The difference was primarily the shorter engagement length and, iirc, YTS had more restricted employment opportunities - no overseas tours etc.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Surely there’s no need for any other means of exciting folk to join…now you can have Brian Blessed style beards the CIO door must be hanging off its hinges?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Two of my friends went into YTS back in 1988 and have had successful careers because of it. It gave them a chance to do something in an area where heavily unionised industries were difficult to get into unless "you knew someone".

I think they would disagree with your analysis of YTS although I'm sure they would agree that it was a product of its time.

br9mp81

Corporal
a 17 year old unsupervised driving on a airfield with no lights on hit and killed a 228 lineyat conz in the 80s, last thing you need is yts again