• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Youth Training Scheme - YTS

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
a 17 year old unsupervised driving on a airfield with no lights on hit and killed a 228 lineyat conz in the 80s, last thing you need is yts again
And? I drove unsupervised on the airfield at Binbrook at 17 in the late 70's as a regular (with a 'C' class FMT600).

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
a 17 year old unsupervised driving on a airfield with no lights on hit and killed a 228 lineyat conz in the 80s, last thing you need is yts again

YTS problem or a supervision problem?

br9mp81

Corporal
And a leckie shagged a dog once….nothing like tarring everyone with the same brush is there…
17 driving a sherpa with no lights on took the liney out, in those no such thing as high viz in those days not that it would have made any difference, the liney was a good lad with his whole life in front of him,and yes some YTS did go on to do good things and 22 years,my point is it should never have happened.
The whole YTS thing was a sticking plaster to hide mass youth unemployment

Vushtrri

Sergeant
17 driving a sherpa with no lights on took the liney out, in those no such thing as high viz in those days not that it would have made any difference, the liney was a good lad with his whole life in front of him,and yes some YTS did go on to do good things and 22 years,my point is it should never have happened.
The whole YTS thing was a sticking plaster to hide mass youth unemployment
You’re quite right…it shouldn’t have happened, but I also know of an SAC , no licence, insurance who also wrote off his newly acquired mini after a few beers…it could happen to anyone, YTS or regular..

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The one YTS that I knew got Court Martialled and kicked out for doing drugs.

Fast forward 30 years and if you are paying someone todays equivalent of £27 a week, then you will get an even lesser standard of recruit. I wouldnt want to be the section head or even the JNCO trying to instil personal discipline into someone who was on less than minimum wage and only there because McDonalds wouldnt take them.

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Fast forward 30 years and if you are paying someone todays equivalent of £27 a week, then you will get an even lesser standard of recruit. I wouldnt want to be the section head or even the JNCO trying to instil personal discipline into someone who was on less than minimum wage and only there because McDonalds wouldnt take them.
A YTS lad from my Mechs Course got busted for drugs at Bruggen, prior to that, we did wonder why we saw him at Gutersloh at least once a month.

We had another YTS lad on my Mechs Course, no idea what he went on to do.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

With reference to "fast forward 30 years" that surely must highlight differences in the generational culture that people comment upon today.

A quick rewind to the past...

IIRC, the YTS guys and girls used to pick up around £28.50 a week and topped that up by working Saturdays for a little extra cash so could end up with £40 to £50 a week dependent upon who they worked for. To compare that to my own circumstances relative to the timeframe, my first post college/pre RAF job paid me £75 per week before deductions and
top that up further, I went straight from the day job and did 3 hours a night at a garden centre, clearing up and preparing everything for the next day's business for £1 per hour cash in hand and a tenner cash in hand for working on a Saturday.

I think my Step Dad was on around 8Kpa at that time and my mother made me pay £15 a week board and lodgings as she called it because I was over 18 and had to learn to pay my own way.

£28.50 a week stretched a long way back then for a 16 yo kid living at home.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Simple Pintonomics, £27 per week @ £1.10 per pint 24.5 pints. In today’s prices, not including Spoon’s, say £4 per pint.

That makes that £27 per week to be about £100 per week today, not too bad with no accommodation or food to pay for.

If the RAF was going to run this today, they’d probably run an apprenticeship.

Apprentice rate for 16 year olds today is just over a fiver, or just about £200 per week, deduct food and such like and there’s not that much of a difference between the two schemes, both of which have the potential to have young uns given skills that could set them up for life.

And I’ve not even mentioned the free socks.