• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Volunteering

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Had a look through the APs and QRs seeing what rules were what and was wondering if anyone volunteers who is currently serving?

Blood bike, First Responder, Firefigher etc...

Anyone do it? Money worth it? Rules what you can and can't do, I heard RAF firemen can't be retained fireman as they need specific rest before their duties, dunno about other trades.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Promotion push eh? :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Seriously though, good luck.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
My next door neighbour is in the Army and does blood bikes. Can't see their rules being much different to ours.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
A mate of mine has done the Blood Bike thing for years. I imagine as long as it doesn't conflict with your Primary role etc then it'll be ok.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Had a look through the APs and QRs seeing what rules were what and was wondering if anyone volunteers who is currently serving?

Money worth it? .

Volunteers don't get paid.
Last time I checked if you take a paid second job whilst serving it can't conflict with your primary has to be signed off by OC/CO and the Tax Man wants his cut.
I help out a mate in his shop which if he paid me I'd have to get permission from OC/CO and pay the tax man.
As I dont get paid no one in the chain of command is interested, I just get "militaty discount" when I buy stuff there

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Need to make sure whatever volunteering you do they have liability insurance in case you have an accident which could impact on your service career.

Other than that as long as there's no conflict or risk you should be okay.

I used to be on the PTA of my sons school and not only did it give me a feel good factor of paying it back I also managed to do some networking with the local community, which just wouldn't have happens if I'd stayed in the military bubble.

I also think it shows a bit of the right kind of character when looking for your next career, post service.

If you're going to get paid make sure you tell the tax man and have the right code applied, probably BR in most cases, pay a little as you go along is much better than moaning when you get hit with a large arrears bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I've done PTA and school governor in the past - just informed my line manager and left it at that. As others have said, I think it only really makes a big issue if you're getting paid (ie a second job) - everything else is just brownie points for your SJAR / OJAR...

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A few people at Waddo were First Responders as I recall.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
When I was at Coningsby I taught the local primary school kids to pass their Cycling Proficiency tests to be able to cycle to school. I was getting into School fundraising projects when I got posted back to Germany, thankfully only spending just two years at that awful station.
At the time I already had my CAA A&C Licences (LWTR) for jet engined helicopters, so to keep 'current' I also volunteered to work on the Lincs Air Ambulance (a Bo105D at the time). I was PAS's first contact for snag-busting and helped with some Scheduled Maintenance there too.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I've recently started helping out with the local ATC and like Witty, all I had to do apart from DBS checking was get permission from my Boss.

LilStill

Sergeant
I am a previous Service Instructor with Air Cadets and I have been a First Responder/Co-Responder for my entire RAF career, most recently the OiC of a team at a large Stn for the last 2 years. The overarching RAF policy is QR910, which essentially states that permission shall be sought (Gen App), the SP is to ensure their off-duty employment/volunteering does not impact the Service, and Line Managers of these personnel are to assure themselves of same. How this works in practice is often down to personality, but it is generally not a massive hurdle. PM me and we can discuss in more detail if you like (I am also ex-P1).

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Yea

I'm not interested in Cadets and the like.

I'm wanting to be paid.

Good gen LilStill though.

Last edited:

briggfairy

Sergeant
As many people have stated volunteering is not about getting paid, you do it for the enjoyment of the activity your involved in, you may get some expenses covered however that's not guaranteed and you may well find yourself out of pocket which doesn't deter most people.

It sounds like you are worried about not earning enough money in your current job so your choices are quite simple:

Find a job that pays more.

reduce you outgoings so that in real terms you earn the same.

get a second job, a genuine one in which case try here

LilStill

Sergeant
Yea

I'm not interested in Cadets and the like.

I'm wanting to be paid.

Good gen LilStill though.

Same process, the RAF doesn't care if you're paid or not, by and large. The concern under QR910 is hours worked in accordance with the RAF's intent to obey the principles of the Working Time Directive, and ensuring there is no conflict with the needs of the Service.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
As many people have stated volunteering is not about getting paid, you do it for the enjoyment of the activity your involved in, you may get some expenses covered however that's not guaranteed and you may well find yourself out of pocket which doesn't deter most people.

It sounds like you are worried about not earning enough money in your current job so your choices are quite simple:

Find a job that pays more.

reduce you outgoings so that in real terms you earn the same.

get a second job, a genuine one in which case try here

Part time Maccies is a good shout actually.

Got my brain working, maybe bar work is a possibility too, hmmmnnnn.