• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Volunteering

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I was a poor SAC I used to do a fair bit of HGV agency work....might be worth thinking about.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
When I was a poor SAC I used to do a fair bit of HGV agency work....might be worth thinking about.

Yup.. I used to work at Oxford Airport at weekends when I was a young SAC with two young bin lids to make extra cash. Whatever trade you are, I reckon you can put some of those skills to good work in a part time job somewhere.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts

I did the same for Driver Hire in Peterborough, even after tax I was taking home nearly £200 for a weekend. The only downside was going back to work on the Monday without having had a day off.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Did a bit of Agency work in Uxbridge when I was at West Drayton just to earn a few coffers. Did all sorts of shoite from making pallets to doing a 2 week driving job in and out of London from Heathrow, learnt some driving skills doing that back in the late 80's.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
While at Kinloss and Saxa I did a week on the job with Bristow Helicopters as Rampy and Heli-Refueller unpaid at Aberdeen airport. Just to keep my hand in. I wrote to all the helicopter companies at Aberdeen why I was asking if this would be okay to do. Strangely enough my second time there I met a fellow RAF Kinloss worker in the hanger who got a full time job. I feel that having a go like this opens doors later on even if it doesn't end up being the career later on.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Please remember that while doing unpaid work you may be depriving someone of paid work.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Don't worry.

I'll not be doing nothing for free!

Can't speak for anyone else though.

Imagine a massive surge in HGV agencies getting requests for info around RAF bases tomorrow morning

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I did door work whilst at St Mawgan. Great earner and it kept me off the pop so saving a bundle as well.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Don't worry.

I'll not be doing nothing for free!

Can't speak for anyone else though.

Imagine a massive surge in HGV agencies getting requests for info around RAF bases tomorrow morning

My contract with HMPO gives me Oct-Dec off. As a qualified HGV driver, as this is the busiest season for drivers, I can pick and choose which jobs I want over that period, with one days work equating to around £160.

If you are HGV qualified, then now is the time to start registering, as work offers will start increasing from September onwards.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Everyone from 2014 onwards has been recruited on a Part-Year Appointment from Jan-Sep, as passport applications tend to tail off after September. That said, last year I was asked to stay on for Oct-Dec as I was re-training for a new role, and they wanted me in post, qualified by January.

As someone who wanted less hours after 28 years of near burn-out from the RAF, it is ideal for me as it will give me 3 months of down time, where I can drive a couple of days a week if I want some spare cash, or just kick back for the whole three months!

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Everyone from 2014 onwards has been recruited on a Part-Year Appointment from Jan-Sep, as passport applications tend to tail off after September. That said, last year I was asked to stay on for Oct-Dec as I was re-training for a new role, and they wanted me in post, qualified by January.

As someone who wanted less hours after 28 years of near burn-out from the RAF, it is ideal for me as it will give me 3 months of down time, where I can drive a couple of days a week if I want some spare cash, or just kick back for the whole three months!
Do you get paid for the full year, with the wages for the 9 months being reduced to make up for it. I know lollipop people get paid for school holidays with their wages during the working week being reduced as a result.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No. I am classed as being "Out of Contract". We are free to find alternative employment in that time, and as such, claim JSA. However I don't claim anything because I am already over the income threshold with my RAF pension. One of the guys has a regular stint playing Santa at a local shopping centre grotto!

There's at least 60 on my floor who are on these 9 month contracts, and usually half a dozen or so who get other jobs don't come back the following January. In both 2016 and 2017, one of my team members didn't return.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I've semi retired got 3 jobs, where I can chose when I want to work I'm better off financially then when I worked full time plus I work less hours. If I feel like having a week off then it's my choice.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Had a look through the APs and QRs seeing what rules were what and was wondering if anyone volunteers who is currently serving?

Blood bike, First Responder, Firefigher etc...

Anyone do it? Money worth it? Rules what you can and can't do, I heard RAF firemen can't be retained fireman as they need specific rest before their duties, dunno about other trades.
Have a look at this. You need a CRB check so don't know if it will affect your job in the RAF

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...ggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNGNUotxJPKmRzpbC4go3ZNM0iU0Wg

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Mutty, how does the driving work with regards to CPC? I've got a full C+E licence but never bothered with CPC. What's actually involved in getting it?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Joe, you'll need a CPC, you also have to be careful about weekly rest periods, I did a bit of weekend driving work when I was still paying childcare towards the end I found I could only do one day every other weekend, luckily my agency had a regular job they liked me to do on Sunday if I was able, double time helped quite a bit.

Of course you can ignore the driving hours as your wider activities would only get looked at if you have a crash, so as long as don't crash you're okay, totally screwed if you do.

CPC was just coming in as I stopped 'Volunteering' and seemed to be a money making scheme for approved providers taking advantage its compulsory nature, might have become more useful since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Mutty, how does the driving work with regards to CPC? I've got a full C+E licence but never bothered with CPC. What's actually involved in getting it?

35 hours of driving-related courses. I did mine partly on dangerous goods, tachograph and vehicle security. Once you have the driver qualification card, its valid for 5 years. You don't have to wait until the 5 years is up before re-training (ie do 7 hours per year for 5 years), and as long as you have the 35 hours' credits then your DQC will be renewed for another 5 years and so on..

Cost of a 7hr module can be as low as £49.

Bottom line is currently no DQC - no work. How that will pan out after Brexit remains to be seen.

In answer to the original question, the RAF doesn't care as long as you work your hours and are available when they call. If your line manager okays it and you don't expect to be called in out of hours then the Air Force doesn't give two sheets.