• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Nimrod rumours are spreading.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I gave up when they called it a "new" aircraft!

Am sure they were refurbished MR2 fuselages that I started stripping back in the 90's.

Very much poetic license!

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

From the outside the 'tube' looks much the same but inside bears no resemblance.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
can scan an area the size of the UK every 10 seconds.

Scan with what? You would have to be hassling a U2 to share his flight level to achieve that kind of radar horizon...

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Scan with what? You would have to be hassling a U2 to share his flight level to achieve that kind of radar horizon...
I think you'll find it just scand a small area a sh!t load of times in 10 seconds to give the 'size of the uk' quote.
Oviously it doesn't sound as good if you say it can scan 100km2 of ocean 30 times a second (or whatever it is).
Cos we all know ships move that fast that you need to scan them 30 times a second.....:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Either that or they've lied to us and it can do Mach 6+ to cover the area in that time :pDT_Xtremez_14:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think you'll find it just scand a small area a sh!t load of times in 10 seconds to give the 'size of the uk' quote.
Oviously it doesn't sound as good if you say it can scan 100km2 of ocean 30 times a second (or whatever it is).
Cos we all know ships move that fast that you need to scan them 30 times a second.....:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Either that or they've lied to us and it can do Mach 6+ to cover the area in that time :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Plus the fact that it's got a 100% stealth capability.... I've never seen one at it's main operating base yet. he he

T93

Sergeant
Hi VF,

I extracted this from the BAE site.

The statement (which is what it is - stressed on the word "can") did seem dubious to me, although I guess this was more of a marketing pitch.

ADGE I am happy with (clue in the username) but operating levels/patrol altitudes for airborne platforms I have no clue about. However, as you state. I guess it would have to operate at some serious height to scan such an area.

sumps

Sergeant
C'mon Gents, lets get this rumor started properly (after all you know that this is the only way that the MoD thinks!!!)

1. We know that the Grimrod Mk2 is off at the end of the month with a 2+ year gap until the Mk 4 turns up
2. We know that the C130J has a 'good radar' that 'can cope with the maritime element to a degree' and that it can launch the Air Sea Rescue kit out of the boot.
4. We know that Lyneham is shutting down by 2012
5. it is thought that the Mk4 will go to Waddo'
6. It is suspected that Brize will be too full with all the aircraft they are trying to pack in there.
7 We know that nobody is sinking ships with torpedoes
8. We know that the Seaking needs to operate in harmony with a platform that can loiter over any survivors in the water
9 we know that the air bridge is a must

...therefore in order to keep ISK open and maintain some form of SAR the C130J is going to ISK and the capability gap will be filled at Brize by an extra C17 until the A400m turns up! :raf:

That’s got to be the answer! And totally within the moral boosting schemes that those at the top of the management pile are accustomed to. Besides a plan like that will keep loads for officers employed right up until their pension date.

Regards Sumps :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
C'mon Gents, lets get this rumor started properly (after all you know that this is the only way that the MoD thinks!!!)

1. We know that the Grimrod Mk2 is off at the end of the month with a 2+ year gap until the Mk 4 turns up
2. We know that the C130J has a 'good radar' that 'can cope with the maritime element to a degree' and that it can launch the Air Sea Rescue kit out of the boot.
4. We know that Lyneham is shutting down by 2012
5. it is thought that the Mk4 will go to Waddo'
6. It is suspected that Brize will be too full with all the aircraft they are trying to pack in there.
7 We know that nobody is sinking ships with torpedoes
8. We know that the Seaking needs to operate in harmony with a platform that can loiter over any survivors in the water
9 we know that the air bridge is a must

...therefore in order to keep ISK open and maintain some form of SAR the C130J is going to ISK and the capability gap will be filled at Brize by an extra C17 until the A400m turns up! :raf:

That’s got to be the answer! And totally within the moral boosting schemes that those at the top of the management pile are accustomed to. Besides a plan like that will keep loads for officers employed right up until their pension date.

Regards Sumps :pDT_Xtremez_30:

If the J goes to ISK Sumps - you can go with it cos I ain't!

sumps

Sergeant
If the J goes to ISK Sumps - you can go with it cos I ain't!

Billy, I have in the last few months been to ISK. However my current form of employment prevents me from going there for longer than 3 days due to the man from accounts cottoning on to the size of my bar bill. So in this case i must respectfully decline your request, However im sure you, Sausage, Wobbly...et al, will be made more than welcome.

Regards Sumps:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Sumps,

Using your logical list of needs we should start building the Grimsod replacement now - and be ready sometime about 2059...or so...

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Dust off the books and do the sums and you'll see that its virtually the area of the UK.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Dust off the books and do the sums and you'll see that its virtually the area of the UK.

Don't need to as I looked at it enough...yes it gets a fair swathe but by no means all of it. Plus the higher you go the less you'll see of smaller stuff (height as a filter)...

It's a codswallop sales pitch statement...

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Don't need to as I looked at it enough...yes it gets a fair swathe but by no means all of it. Plus the higher you go the less you'll see of smaller stuff (height as a filter)...

It's a codswallop sales pitch statement...

Youre missing my point, you may not be able to see the whole of the UK on your picture, but you can see almost (and I mean short of a few hundred sq miles in comparison to he area of the UK being 94600 sq miles, including NI and the Scottish isles) the equivalent area...including land and sea is covered by a max range scan in 10 seconds. A sales pitch it may be, but it its technically accurate. In my calculation I took into account the blank sector.

(edited to say I assumed a flat earth in the sums...)

Last edited:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Well its been quoted that there is no money/infrastructure at present to move MRA4 to Waddo but give it about 4-5 years and operation all eggs in one basket will be in place , with Lyneham gone thank god and everything at Brize, Kinloss and Lossie shut there will be 3 places to be posted when we come under Army command. Marham , Brize and Waddo. Yippeee the 3 largest atmospehere hoovers you could ask for

The future is Army

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
Well its been quoted that there is no money/infrastructure at present to move MRA4 to Waddo but give it about 4-5 years and operation all eggs in one basket will be in place , with Lyneham gone thank god and everything at Brize, Kinloss and Lossie shut there will be 3 places to be posted when we come under Army command. Marham , Brize and Waddo. Yippeee the 3 largest atmospehere hoovers you could ask for

The future is Army

Correction - PVR is the future.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Realist78

Master of my destiny

The future is Army

If Waddo is that sh1te, why is it nigh impossible to get posted there?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If Waddo is that sh1te, why is it nigh impossible to get posted there?

They've been posting techies out rather than in over the past 12 months bound for AT and SH camps...

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
In my civvie job,last week I was speaking to a civvie girl from Forres who was saying a lot of the married quarters on Southside & Northside have been sold off,& that she'd not heard the camp was closing tho.Although the general ciivie question is 'what now for Kinloss?' since the Nimrod's binning.