• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future Accommodation Model

4everAD

Sergeant
Or maybe let people lead their lives as they see fit.
We'll said, the housing market is broken and everyone knows it, forcing people to buy homes (and pay a huge mortgage for 25 years just so you can then sell it to pay for your OAP care) is not the answer. It is however the answer as far as everyone else who does own a home is concerned, turkeys don't vote for Xmas and the market has to keep going and prices have to keep rising or the country is fecked!

maybe future housing planning should be given as lectures to recruits in cranwell / halton? get it in their heads while they're still young?

I genuinely wish, as a 17 year old sprog at Halton, someone had plonked me down and not only explained finances, but forced me to save some money.

Coming from a back-water shíthole with hardly a pot to **** in, to a rockstar with unheard of amounts of spare cash and credit on tap at 18, I somewhat went off at the deep end. Still paying for it now.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I wish I hadn't ****ed my money away when I was in Germany and then try to live the same lifestyle when I returned to the UK but it was easy when I was paying quarters rent. I ended up getting on the property ladder at the age of 35 due to posting location issues but I wish I'd at least done something clever like a mate of mine. He bought his Grandma's house while he was in the singly block at Leeming whilst she was still living in it - he got his foot on the ladder and she was able to spend more of her pension down the bingo.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I bought my first house when I was 28. Since then I have bought, renovated to some extent them sold 6 more houses with the 7th in the pipeline...Ive done alright out of it but this new found wealth won't change me *puts down leg of roast swan* I'm just the same person I've always been *dismisses man-servant with look of disdain*.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
I bought my first house when I was 28. Since then I have bought, renovated to some extent them sold 6 more houses with the 7th in the pipeline...Ive done alright out of it but this new found wealth won't change me *puts down leg of roast swan* I'm just the same person I've always been *dismisses man-servant with look of disdain*.

We know you were born surrounded by poverty. Once there was a very poor little boy. His mother was poor and his father was poor. The cook was poor, the second maid was poor, and the gardener was poor, and the chauffer was poor, and the governess was poor, and everybody was very, very poor. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Or maybe let people lead their lives as they see fit.

Absolutely fine with that theory, as long as they don't expect the state to put a roof over their head, like my former RN colleague seemed to think was his God-given right.

I see my first (and main) priority of being a husband and a father is to ensure my wife and kids have a roof over their heads, heating when they need it, hot and cold water and food in their bellies. This is my job - not the state's.

Brand new cars, foreign holidays, the latest smartphones and designer clothes come further down the list once rule one has been well and truly met.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Absolutely fine with that theory, as long as they don't expect the state to put a roof over their head, like my former RN colleague seemed to think was his God-given right.

I see my first (and main) priority of being a husband and a father is to ensure my wife and kids have a roof over their heads, heating when they need it, hot and cold water and food in their bellies. This is my job - not the state's.

Brand new cars, foreign holidays, the latest smartphones and designer clothes come further down the list once rule one has been well and truly met.

^^^What he said, really. Priorities are dictated by your current situation, but mine are as above.

briggfairy

Sergeant
Whilst planning ahead for the future is fantastic advice and what the majority have done, there is a major problem in society.

The current generation of youngsters are the first to be worse off than their parents and events like this are likely to become more prevalent:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/13/pensioners-now-20-a-week-better-off-than-working-households

For me the big problem is the bloated housing market which has forced prices up well above inflation, the rise of buy to let and people refusing to downsize has priced many youngsters out of the housing market.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Whilst planning ahead for the future is fantastic advice and what the majority have done, there is a major problem in society.

The current generation of youngsters are the first to be worse off than their parents and events like this are likely to become more prevalent:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/13/pensioners-now-20-a-week-better-off-than-working-households

For me the big problem is the bloated housing market which has forced prices up well above inflation, the rise of buy to let and people refusing to downsize has priced many youngsters out of the housing market.

This is probably a bit controversial, but I also think a change in attitudes doesn’t help either.

Firstly, I accept that it is bloody difficult to get onto the housing ladder; I’ve only done it in the last two years and it was touch and go as to whether I’d get a mortgage or not.

The problem I see is that in the vast majority of cases the desire to undertake further education is coming at the cost of undertaking work at the lower end of the scale; I believe that the sentiment is that if the job doesn’t pay minimum wage and is right at the other end of the jobs market, then no one is interested.

Unfortunately, this denies a lot of young people the opportunity to start saving – and as going to university these days equates to paying off massive loans, then the chances of being able to save up for a deposit are slim.

I think if I were to have kids now I would encourage them to seek full time work at the earliest opportunity and encourage them to use the OU or do night classes if they want additional qualifications.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think if I were to have kids now I would encourage them to seek full time work at the earliest opportunity and encourage them to use the OU or do night classes if they want additional qualifications.

I'd agree with this. If education doesn't directly support professional improvement, then ditch it until you are of private means. The humanities? The arts? Very nice, but you'd better have a trust fund because no one is in the slightest bit interested in employing someone with a degree in this - simply because these degrees are so easy now that they do not reinforce the individuals ability to think. Once a threshold to a better career.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
For anyone in Married Quarters a bit of advice for you.

Put your name down on the council house list for the area that you want to settle in to make it easier to find a home if required when you do eventually settle down.

I don't know if it is true for all councils but here in South Yorkshire time spent in MQs also counts as time spent in council housing meaning you will be able to purchase a lot sooner.